General Hospital's Rebecca Herbst on Her Shocking Firing/Re-Hiring: "It Was Surreal"



In the new issue of ABC Soaps in Depth, Rebecca Herbst (Liz) opens up for the first time about her shocking firing and subsequent re-hiring following the demands of angry General Hospital fans. Here's a tidbit of what Genie Francis' heiress apparent had to say:

"It was surreal," she recalls of that fateful Friday meeting with the show's executives in which she was told the news. "I didn't see it coming."





It's still unimaginable to me that GH would have even contemplated getting rid of such a popular star, who's character is one of the few, precious links to origin characters like Steve Hardy; not to mention the supercouple status Liz achieved in her own right with both Jason (Steve Burton) and Lucky (Jonathan Jackson).

  It's too bad fans didn't have enough time to prevent agenda-driven, inorganic storytelling efforts to "train" fans on which couple they should root for, from causing GH to wrecklessly decide to kill off Liason's son. I predict a "trainwreck watching" ratings spike during the week Jake dies and the immediate aftermath, then a massive bleedout. Stupid move, GH. Stupid, stupid move.


Comments

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

starr wrote:
EET, Your name describes you perfect. I'm just going to say it. You are being annoying and childish. Go find a Jasam thread to spread your love on. You are simply trying to bait Liz/Liason fans. It's safe to say we don't agree. You continuing to instigate fights is beyond immature. Liason fans don't like Sam. Jasam fans don't like Liz. This being a Liz thread, I'm not sure why you feel the need to be involved at all. Now I suppose you're gonna cry about "I can be where ever I want! You do it to Sam!" Blah blah blah. You're a sh*t starter. Go start it somewhere else. Aren't they missing you at abc.com anyway?

What a nice treat to have this person as a new member. Her first post to EET or anyone for that matter.

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

starr wrote:
Just because I just registered to post doesn't mean I haven't been around. I just think you're are baiters. You come around Liz posts looking to make trouble. Congrats you've done it. I don't lurk in Jasam threads let alone post in them. I stick to my fanbase sites and threads. If I want to bash Sam I do it with them. You keep claiming you won't be bullied but you are the one bullying. You are here kicking a fanbase while it's down. Congrats. Now I will go back to lurking and watching your "mean girl" act spew all over this web site. You win. Hope it feels good.

And this post is for Sassy from our new girl 'Star' Laughing out loud

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

starr wrote:
JAQ, I am only coming out of lurking for one reason. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding about.com. I don't lurk or post there and never have. If you go back and try to be open minded about my post all I was saying was I thought it was childish to come in and kick a fanbase when it's down. To bait a fanbase into an argument that no one is going to win. We can agree to disagree about it. It's hardly a personal attack. But actually more a disagreement over behavior. I don't believe people should be able to run amok on a website trying to create drama and not expect to be called out on their bad behavior. I so regret ever registering especially now that you are accusing me of something so awful as whatever happened to you at about.com. I would greatly appreciate you stop trying to smear me and I'll be sure to not use the screen name again.

She is referring to her posts to EET here.
Then she goes on to deny going to about.com and YET she admits to not using the screen name over there ever again. (Who she was inpersonating from here)

WELCOME STARR!! Star Star Star Star

Member since:
19 March 2011
Last activity:
1 year 35 weeks

JAQ wrote:
starr wrote:
JAQ, I am only coming out of lurking for one reason. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding about.com. I don't lurk or post there and never have. You have me confused with someone else. Again, I am not the person you're accusing me of being. I don't believe people should be able to run amok on a website trying to create drama and not expect to be called out on their bad behavior. I so regret ever registering especially now that you are accusing me of something so awful as whatever happened to you at about.com. I would greatly appreciate you stop trying to smear me and I'll be sure to not use the screen name again.

If you are a 'lurker' only, why you keep posting? And what the hell you talking about with About.com?? Guilty of something maybe?? Your guilt (over being a lonely lurker?) is showing us that you are paranoid about something, thus taking my posts personal.
So do tell. What about me, EET do you find so interesting??? Share. Laughing out loud
I mean, DUH, I am INTERSTING. What specifically though are YOU finding interesting?

Sassy, EET, who is this NUT JOB?? Laughing out loud

WOW JAQ. Clearly I must be bothering you. So I will go ahead and continue to post since you continue to bait. You have posted 7 or 8 comments in a row about me. So who's paranoid? You posted that I'm a nutjob and sick. Who's getting personal now? I maintain that I'm not the person over at about.com. Nor do I have any other screen name here at DC. I am guilty of NOTHING. And certainly not about being a lonely lurker. What does that even mean? I will not change my stance that a poster can't just bait and bait and bait and then hide behind the "hey, no personal attacks!" You ARE NOT interesting. You are a bully. So what's next JAQ? More links to depression websites? More insults of my mental health? More accusations that you can't prove? Bully bully bully.

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

I am the 3rd person you accused of being a bully. The 3rd person you used the word 'bait' with.
And you say I am doing the personal attacking??

Glad you will Post. This should be fun. Bring it on. Crazy

EricasEvilTwin's picture
Member since:
15 July 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 4 days

Perkie - I cant speak to whether or not Starr is the person who went from here to about.com and falsely used the name of a long time dc poster to attack Jaq at another site. I would hope she isnt, because if she is then thats wrong, not only in terms of the attack on jaq but also because she is pretending to be someone else.

As for Starr, I thought we had a rule about attacking other posters. I realize - and this is something that I have been guilty of and have been on the receiving end of - but I realize that over time people can get frustrated with one another or have a bad day. As the saying goes, s**t happens, but when someone registers JUST to call a poster annoying and childish, the yeah I think we have a right to call them on going over the line. If you recall, a few months back a JaSam fan did the same thing to another long term poster who loves Liz and I was one of the first people to tell that person to cut the crap. If you START by breaking the rules day one, what kind of a poster does that suggest you will be long term. So if you are going to welcome this poster, I would appreciate if you would also remind her that attacking other people personally is the only cardinal rule on dc AND that no thread belongs to the fan of that particular actor, actress or any of the pairings they belong to - that we dont have threads just for fans of character x or character y but just GH threads. And for the record, no I dont want to see newbies "run off" but I also didnt want to see most of the sam fans run off and yet thats exactly what happened this year.

Starr, I would also encourage you to scroll over to daytime stars by name and pull up kelly monaco. Check out some of the threads and what some of the Liz fans posted there and once you have I invite you to demonstrate that your position on posting in threads that you feel BELONG to one fan base or another is not hypocritical by admonishing those fellow Liz fans from posting their thoughts in that thread.

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

EET..someone from this site went to Maria's site, (About.com) and started talking to me as if she was gh4now.
She also was using gh4now2 as a screen name. Apparently she has been bashing me for awhile, however, since I seldom go there I didn't know. Maria was deleting the posts from gh4now2 to me before I saw them.
gh4now2 is not allowed on that forum anylonger. They should be banned.
We still have a lurker here who is watching, me, you, sassy & gh4.
Creepy hey??

I emailed Luke & Jamey as well as Perkie has no business bashing me on this board without knowing the facts. Very unprofessional and I thought better of her, so it caught me off guard.

As far as Liason/Jasam fans. Geez. What are we in highschool?? What happens if you are a fan of neither?
Though I love Jason, I only want him for myself in reality.

Starr was brutal to you as well as Sassy. The fact she took gh4now name and pretended to be her on another is just plain wrong.

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

EricasEvilTwin wrote:
Perkie - Starr, I would also encourage you to scroll over to daytime stars by name and pull up kelly monaco. Check out some of the threads and what some of the Liz fans posted there and once you have I invite you to demonstrate that your position on posting in threads that you feel BELONG to one fan base or another is not hypocritical by admonishing those fellow Liz fans from posting their thoughts in that thread.

What if you aren't a fan of either? We orphans?? Beer

EricasEvilTwin's picture
Member since:
15 July 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 4 days

Well if you are not a fan of either, you could zap over to the TC thread, since apparently that thread doesnt "belong" to his fans and its aokay to be critical of him without being called childish, silly or baiting. Wink

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

Have I ever told you publically you ROCK?? Beer Cool

JasamForever's picture
Member since:
29 December 2009
Last activity:
1 hour 34 min

Thing around here definately get interesting. I did notice EET as well that no comments were criticized, or bashed on the TC thread. I guess it is all about who the thread is about.

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

Which thread would I go to if I loved Maurice Bernard??
Because nobody likes him but me. Innocent

EricasEvilTwin's picture
Member since:
15 July 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 4 days

Back that up, I love Mo. Havent loved the writing for him since the karpov story, but still love Mo.

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

I love watching good acting. To me, nobody could carry this role as brilliant as MB does. I have to respect that. When people start to bash him, its so obvious they don't like the character (which is understandable) but how could anyone deny his acting skills?
Steve Burton has a complicated role. Emotionally. Though he don't say much, I think he is a good actor as well.
NLG, CH, LW, JE are simply the best actress's. How can a scene be bad with them in it??? Wink

sassysdreams's picture
Member since:
1 January 2009
Last activity:
1 week 19 hours

JAQ - Totally agree!

JAQ's picture
Member since:
9 January 2011
Last activity:
2 years 42 weeks

sassysdreams wrote:
JAQ - Totally agree!

Well...have we heard anything or is it all HOG WASH???

Member since:
20 December 2010
Last activity:
2 years 13 weeks

coolblue wrote:
This is a terrible rip-off of the heartbreaking BJ/Maxie storyline. From some of the rumors/spoilers it will turn into a "who hit Jake" story shortly after the death. I already know he was hit by the dictator that originally planned for this to be Elizabeth's exit story. GH sucks.

THANK you for someone remembering that this storyline has already been done!! (And much better.) But the BJ/Maxie was probably also a re-do from some storyline in the late 70s (I didn't start watching til mid 80s once I went to college). Shows like GH have been on the air so long, it's inevitable that they'll recycle something. But the minute it looked like they might kill Jake, I knew what they were doing (just didn't know who the recipient at the time would be - til Carly got the call from Jax).

At least there's something somewhat interesting happening. The writing has been atrocious since I started re-watching (stopped in 94/95 sometime & just returned in 2007 or so). And what is with the constant Sonny storylines. I really feel that MB is over-rated as an actor. And I believe that another poster made the comment about only watching because the dialogue on GH was more natural and not forced. Not sure what they've been watching, but I don't think we've been watching the same show. The only storylines (or at least character interactions) that don't seem forced are the ones between Dante (DominicZ) and any other actor and Carly (LauraW) and most other actors. I'm not saying the others are bad actors. Maybe they just don't always bring their A-game to the set. But DZ and LW seem to hit their scenes out of the park ALL the time (not just when a child dies). they can actually hold my attention - even when their dialogue is plain old exposition (and not the most interesting) that is either a place holder for time or to move the story along.

Granted, I do give a lot of credit to the writers who do this everyday. It has to be hell to try and come up with dialogue for actors for almost 365 days/year. They do earn their money. but Bob Guza does need to stop thinking he knows best. Two actors will instinctively have natural chemistry or not and Guza shouldn't be forcing things just because he can.

But we as watchers also need to realize that storylines DO need to progress in some manner otherwise WE (yes, us the networks don't air these shows just to humor the writers) stop watching. So my feeling is that better writing needs to happen to keep us interested, but "life" is gonna move-on. It has to. But I'm definitely on-board with a "recast" of some of the executive producers/showrunners of the show. They just don't seem to be working. Wink

Member since:
13 October 2010
Last activity:
22 hours 44 min

Why do you people keep saying that Becky has reached supercouple status? No she has not, she only came close with Lucky. Liz and Jason was hardly a couple. The only supercouple that's been in this period ,truth is Jason and Sam! I do not think a few fans could bring Becky back, there was a lot more to it. We do not believe for one minute that the fans brought her back. That's the reason she is NOT really liked, you people constantly pimp this woman who haven't done any real acting since she was with JJ.There have been lots of storylines for Becky and she always suck the life out of her partner or the storyline. Becky fans are FEW, the look many because the few talk a lot and believe in the cheating oif the polls to make believe Liz has fans. He biggest mouth piece is Ryan Noble(SID

Member since:
13 October 2010
Last activity:
22 hours 44 min

The be honest the Liz fans are really nasty. When the Sam fans give it back you folks can't take it. It also seems that if yu are posting on anything that's ABC there is always that person(ain't calling any names, but he is one who push a lot of the myth about BH). There is nothing wrong with the new people on GH, they do as well as some of the seasoned ones. To be truthful, Liz brings nothing to the table. She runs he mouth to much,she missed the class on birth control and she is someone that women really don't car for. She is sneaking, unattractive and hateful and a ,a lot of TPT. Wake up this is 2013, women fly jets these days!If I can recall they had Liz front burner with the Jiz story and they crashed big time. With that its always a excuse, the couple didn't this or not, the couple was totally mismatched. Jiz tanked and LuSam was hot!

Member since:
13 October 2010
Last activity:
22 hours 44 min

I see nothing in the character. If she is talented it hasn't been shown yet!Jiz was never a power anything, that was pimped by Ryan Noble. If these people would stop trying to make Liz the center of GH than she might really have a fan base instead of a few with tens of email addresses.The credit for L&L that belongs to JJ(Liz fans just run with it). The storylines with Jason(because they didn't know which way Sam was going)was builded as her first grown up role, and that failed badly.Everytime she gets a man there is no chemistry and they are always giving her dumb stuff,who the WTBD is and fighting over a man. No one seriously believe that a man would want her over Carly,Robin or Sam.GH actually put her in a corner knowing that she is not a great actress.GH owes no one anything and they easy get rid of the men when she can't connect. Its was just a few whining that she was let go. I think that was the best decision someone made because she is doing nothing and collecting a paycheck.