Could Going Half Hour Save General Hospital?

Has General Hospital dodged a bullet (no pun intended)? TV Guide's Michael Logan spoke with an ABC representative, who shared some information about the status of the sudser. According to the rep:

We hope it will encourage them to watch and support GH, the rep says. We will consider all options, such as making The Chew and The Revolution a half hour each, or making The Revolution and GH a half hour. This all happens a year and half from now. We are going to do our best to keep everybody happy.

Comments

13 December 2009
2 years 44 weeks

LMAO right. Does Logan or anyone on this site actually believe this BS from the "Rep" about wanting to keep everyone happy. Sounds like they want to placate people until they are ready to ax GH next year. And did you have to put a picture with Burton on here with this? Ugh. No offense can't stand the guy or the character he plays.

5 July 2008

ABC Is Trying To save Face Here. They Will Not Make GH 30 Mins. They are just hopping to string fans along so they watch until the show ends

jlafferty23's picture
21 June 2010
2 years 25 weeks

Is it sad that I actually want to believe them??

5 July 2008

In a interview with soap vet Robin Mattson years ago she talked about when GL went to an hour (she played hope) they had to redo all the contracts and she quit.

Now im assuming ABC would have to do the same if GH went back to 30 mins. Do u think they'd want all that hassle.

This is just spin.

Soap_Stud's picture
28 November 2008

All of a sudden 30 mins is a viable option?!? Why wasn't it an option for AMC/OLTL? Thirty minute soaps make sense to me, in today's economy with the ratings what they are in daytime. However, the folks at ABC daytime are difficult to believe.

Renegade_Killerbee's picture
15 August 2010
2 years 27 weeks

katkit wrote:

AMEN, katkit. The beyond bloated Steve Burton and his brain-dead robot character Jason are pretty much the main reasons I despise "General Hospital" these days.

Other than that, it's been a pretty good show as of late.

~ Kevin in downtown Tulsa

4 May 2011

appleridge wrote:

You're so right. I feel bad for the fans who are going to buy into it and think GH has a chance. The show has essentially been cancelled. There are no half hour plans. Wasn't it Brian Frons who said, about the cancellation of "Port Charles", that the half hour format was no longer viable?

Luke's picture
24 August 2009

katkit wrote:

I don't mind SBu.

But my feelings on Jason Morgan and his affect on GH has been clear. The focus on this one note moron has been detrimental to the show.

And I agree. No one should buy this nonsense. Why ABC and Frons can't be upfront and honest about their intentions is beyond me....Maybe they think they'll take the PR hit for now and in due time, the audience will "get over it." I think these morons are sadly mistaken.

13 December 2009
2 years 44 weeks

Susan Hunter wrote:
appleridge wrote:

Frons also said women during the day don't want escapism anymore and thats why the soaps were axed so the idea that GH is absolved especially with the lowest rating they have ever had is a joke.

GHfan-4now's picture
29 August 2010

**********

Agreed.

27 January 2010

so out of the 20minutes of show Maurice Benard ,Steve Burton will get 15minutes a show no thanks just take it off Sick

10 October 2008

jlafferty23 wrote:
Is it sad that I actually want to believe them??

No!! Don't do it!! Fight the feeling! Fight it!!! Smile

4 February 2009

I realized I cannot stand Jason and I wonder if I ever did. The ephinany came to me during the Davis celebration for Sam recently. As a total aside, I love those four Davis women and whenever I watch them I feel like I am watching a primetime dramedy.

Anyways, the moment Jason walks in the party is over. Really? The mute man of the house comes in and everyone has to leave? That seems healthy. Sam some advice: go eat, pray, love.

17 April 2011
2 years 45 weeks

This is strictly a PR move on Disney/ABC. I don't buy what they are selling, and I hope that the soap fans don't believe this. If Disney/ABC was so concerned about their soaps, they could have dropped all of their soaps to 30 minutes and still could have a new 30 minute show and The View. Look at the math, ABC control 4 hours of daytime. The View, AMC, OLTL, and GH's hours. If they dropped all of their soaps time to 30 minutes, they could have still gave up one hour for Katie Couric and still had all 3 soaps,and one new 30 minute show. This setup equals to 2 hours plus The View and ABC could have still gave the stations the extra hour for Katie Couric. This is all a ploy. Don't believe what Disney/ ABC is saying.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

Utterly ridiculous. Half a show means half the commercials. That means half the money coming in. Even if they cut half the cast, they'd have practically the same number of workers behind the scenes, so how on earth would they save money? It makes no sense at all. How stupid do they think we are?

JAQ's picture
9 January 2011
2 years 42 weeks

appleridge wrote:

ABC executives are lying. They want us to believe that they care. Right now, they need us and our support for their new daytime shows to be a success.
So yea, they will say just about anything.

Jenny's picture
3 August 2008

Jesus! Will the lies ever stop?

tealita's picture
20 March 2011

Wow, what was that? I just felt some smoke being blown up my you-know-what!

liason4real's picture
10 May 2008

Lawd. The lies and deceit continue to reign over at ABC/Disneyland.

JAQ's picture
9 January 2011
2 years 42 weeks

Actually Liason...I just read something on Raven's board. I posted it in the spoiler section, perhaps, this time TPTB are being truthful??

alstonboy4315's picture
12 February 2010

Wow, why all the Steve Burton hate??? Steve is truly one of the sweetest, most down-to-Earth people you'd ever want to meet. All his co-stars describe him as willing to give you the shirt off his back. There's nothing wrong with disliking an actor, but I'm sure if you guys met Steve in person you'd fall madly in love with him as I have. And when did it become acceptable on this website to make fun of an actor's PHYSICAL appearance???

Steve is not "bloated." He works out and most of us gain weight naturally as we age since our metabolisms typically slow down. God forbid any of us be less than PERFECT!! Sheesh!!!!

JAQ's picture
9 January 2011
2 years 42 weeks

You never heard me say HATE!! That is one manly man!!!!! Sexy

alstonboy4315's picture
12 February 2010

JAQ--

And I admit: I'd LOVE to climb that mountain!!! If he weren't straight and married with kids....... Wink Wink

curacaoman's picture
10 February 2009

I thought The Chew and The Revolution were the next wave of wanted programming. Yet they are already considering cutting them to half hour?

5 July 2008

JAQ wrote:

Its just spin

JAQ's picture
9 January 2011
2 years 42 weeks

alstonboy4315 wrote:
JAQ--I wasn't referring to you, sweetness! I was referring to a few other of people, who shall remain nameless, but they know who they are........ Crazy Crazy

LOL!!! Beer Big smile Have I told you lately how awesome your posts are?? Oh yea, I think I did a few days ago! Wink

alstonboy4315's picture
12 February 2010

Yes, JAQ, you did......but I will take all the adoration and kind words that I can get!!! Love Love

n69n's picture
6 September 2008

By "everybody", they mean "shareholders", NOT viewers.

liason4real's picture
10 May 2008

SBu is one gorgeous man.

1 July 2009

Hey don't worry, Alstoboy, no Steve Burton hate from this corner either, I've had a big crush on him for years!! Love Love

I also agree with you guys, the TPTB are LYING their you know what off, they're just trying to save face, so that people will tune back in, that's all!!!