Katie Couric Talk Show Takes General Hospital Timeslot!

It's official. Katie Couric is heading to ABC Daytime, and taking General Hospital's 3 pm timeslot!  Couric will produce and host her own talk show which will be nationally syndicated starting Sept. 2012. The journalist will also join ABC News' team. Disney/ABC Television Group and co-chair of Disney Media Networks' Anne Sweeney stated:

Katie Couric is one of television’s iconic figures and we are thrilled to have forged such an exciting partnership with her. We look forward to having Katie join the best News team in the business, and to working with her to create a dynamic and successful talk show franchise.

Eight ABC-owned stations in Chicago, Fresno, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia and Raleigh/Durham have already cleared the show for the GH slot. As previously speculated, ABC will give the last hour of its daytime programming block back to affiliates in Sep. 2012.

According to an ABC News press release, the network "continues to support “General Hospital,” and the plans to launch “The Chew” in September of this year and “The Revolution” in January 2012."

Um...yeah, some support, giving up GH's longterm timeslot. So much for "Love in the Afternoon." Industry pundits are betting GH's last shot at survival is the failure of either The Chew of The Revolution, which would allow the serial to presumably be moved into one of those timeslots.

Comments

jlafferty23's picture
21 June 2010
2 years 26 weeks

I'm confused?

Does that mean we only have GH till September 2012? Or if one of those reality show fails, will GH take one of those timeslots??

5 July 2008

IF a new show fails GH COULD move to an earlier slot but im sorry ABC is only supporting GH til Sept 2012 then bye bye GH. They will give Chew and Revolution time, they wont can it that quick

arielade's picture
2 February 2009

So they have canceled GH without actually saying "canceled".

Man, I got reassured on twitter this morning for NOTHING!!!!!

:'-(

No Daisy's picture
12 January 2010

No surprise there, sadly.

I wonder why Sweeneys doing the talking and not Frons? After killing off the rest of ABC Daytime, I'm sure he's disappointed not to make this announcement.

jlafferty23's picture
21 June 2010
2 years 26 weeks

If GH is really canceled, I give up on soaps. I am tired of the disappointment. Seriously.

1 July 2009

This news isn't surprising at all, so GH's only saving grace is that either the other shows fail, gotta love schedule making.

alstonboy4315's picture
12 February 2010

Who gives a damn about Katie Couric?? Why give this overrated talking head ANOTHER talk show?? She's failed before and will crash and burn again~!!! I don't get why they are pulling the money truck up to accommodate this chick! As I've said before, I won't be watching. And I hope ALL of these shows fail!! Every last one of them!!!

Jeez, couldn't they have at least found someone with a PERSONALITY???!!!

I am too pissed for words right now. I knew they were going to cave in, but that still doesn't make it any easier for me to stomach!! What horse manure!!

P.S- Goodbye, GH! It's been real!!! Wish I could've seen you make it to see 50!!!!! Teardrops.......... Sad( Sad(

arielade's picture
2 February 2009

So is it wrong to ask God to make sure that "The Revolution" and "The Chew" are total flops? I mean, I know he has WAY more important things to do, but I really need GH to stick around...

rapid_roman61's picture
15 April 2011

How many ways can ABC Daytime say, "Eff You. We don't care what you want" to soap fans? I haven't stopped counting.

DaytimeFan0001's picture
23 April 2008

Another one down. Sad I thought Gh was going to be around for "a long long time" ?

17 April 2011
2 years 45 weeks

This is do or die for General Hospital. GH's saving grace is either The Chew or The Revolution doing so horrible that ABC will have no choice but to cancel either The Chew or The Revolution. Read and analyze the statements. ABC said that they will not give up GH's time slot no earlier than Sept. 2012. That means that GH has been given a year to do better. People to stop blaming Katie Couric. This is all a business decision, because if it wasn't Katie Couric it would have been someone else. So the fans better watch GH and GH better get their act together.

jlafferty23's picture
21 June 2010
2 years 26 weeks

This is just depressing.

I feel defeated, am I the only one tired of all the disappointment that soaps have given us these past few years?

5 July 2008

ABC will give chew and revolution time. They dont want soaps so if those shows fail they will put in anything besides soaps like two hours of someone reading the New Yorker

cheryl85's picture
22 October 2009
44 weeks 9 min

I wish I could be shocked, but the shock value of soaps being cancelled is not stunning anymore. We've known for a minute Mickey Mouse was ready to do this. Hell if they got rid of OLTL and AMC without giving a damn why would they keep GH! This also goes along with the fact of the recent writing change at GH.

4 May 2011

alstonboy4315 wrote:

It it wasn't Katie, there would have been someone else. Love or hate her, this deal has very little to do with Katie Couric and everything to do with a lack of commitment to daytime serials. And this goes to a much larger, bleaker picture about network television. In both daytime and primetime, they are going with cheaper and more disposable programming.

kintex's picture
8 November 2010

jlafferty23 wrote:
I'm confused?

That is how I understood the article. They did not say GH will be moved "X" timeslot except that they will continue to support it. They will certainly continue to support it but for how long?. With the Chew & the Rev getting launched, one show has to go in September.
I think I read an article on this site indicating that OLTL's last date was pushed to Jan due to the failed performance of the Rev so may be poor performance of these new shows will work to GH’s favor and it will get more time.

13 December 2009
2 years 45 weeks

Well I am at least glad to see this site not buying the crap ABC is trying to sell here. GH is nor will it be safe. OLTL which I hate showed some improvement and did it matter. Unless GH gets their demos up to the 4 or 5 range forget it. And even then I don't think it would matter.

I am pissed as hell at that idiot from SID still peddling ABC's crap about how much they care about GH to fans. BUt then again thats his livelihood.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

I like Katie Couric, and we know GH is done no matter who takes the timeslot, so I'm not feeling guilty about looking forward to her new show.

alstonboy4315's picture
12 February 2010

Susan Hunter--

I will choose to HATE it. And please don't try to rationalize this by giving me the whole "if it weren't Katie, it'd be someone else" line. I don't care. This show is going to be CRAP, and I'm not gonna watch. That's my opinion. But perhaps I'd be more open to the idea of it if they had hired someone with an actual PERSONALITY!! Katie is duller than dishwater.

I know I can't change this, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to support this show. If you want to watch it, that's fine. But don't expect me to "fall in line" and drink the Kool-Aid. Ain't gonna happen!!!

Simple as that!!!!

rapid_roman61's picture
15 April 2011

Well, that makes one of you Gord.

13 December 2009
2 years 45 weeks

TV Gord wrote:

I also like Katie Couric but I am not really excited about another talk show.

But fans ask yourself why soaps are loser viewers in general. Its been a constant progression for years. No one in this industry has a real interest in these shows being succesful for the long haul, they are just trying to milk out the last couple of years. Look at DOOL? Does anyone really believe bringing back Marlena John and other characters from 25 years ago is intended to fix or make DOOL a forward looking show? They are just buying time same as Y&R is doing with all their stunt casting.

28 February 2009

roman: Then ABC needs to be completely, utterly DESTROYED as a network. No half-ass efforts, folks. I want this network when it crashes and burns to not even be worth 2 cents on the dollar when it's cut up into pieces and sold.

Let's make it happen.

4 May 2011

katkit wrote:
But fans ask yourself why soaps are loser viewers in general.

Soaps started losing viewers when writing story took a back seat to focus groups and fanbases. Yeah, women entered the workplace and blah blah blah, but when you tell creative people how to create and what to create, you end up with a whole lot of mess that is not very creative, engaging or entertaining.

cheryl85's picture
22 October 2009
44 weeks 9 min

Susan Hunter wrote:
katkit wrote:
But fans ask yourself why soaps are loser viewers in general.

So true.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

ckg927 wrote:

Let's make it happen.

It will never work because there are no longer enough soap fans to make a difference. There aren't enough to "destroy" a network. ATWT/GH fans couldn't do it to CBS. AMC/OLTL fans could only muster between 30 to 50 people to show up at the ABC upfronts a few weeks ago, even though the call went out across many websites for New York fans to show up. Face it, soaps are going the way of the westerns of the 50s and 60s. They had a great run that should always be celebrated (I have more than 40 tapes of edited highlights from my favorite soaps that I will be watching once AMC and OLTL are done), but soaps are pretty much done on TV. I'll miss them as much as you all will, but that's the reality.

In the meantime, this website is called Daytime Confidential, and I'm sure the people behind this site realize they are going to have to start being nicer to the talk shows and the game shows that also make up daytime TV, if they want to survive. If you check out gsn.com, you'll see there are plenty of game show fans (as crazy as soap fans) who would probably embrace this site. As my grandpa used to say, there's one thing you can't change...and that's change.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

cheryl85 wrote:
Susan Hunter wrote:
katkit wrote:
But fans ask yourself why soaps are loser viewers in general.

So true.

---TV Gord:

Except that there have ALWAYS been focus groups! Back to the 60s, anyway.

1 April 2009

Let me guess? They think Tic Tack Teeth is the next Oprah, right??

I, for one, despise Katie. She thinks she's all "Bad Ass" for the Palin interview (just put the dislike for Palin aside for one moment -teehee) and the next interview she's flirting and gushing over Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, etc. Real Professional (eye roll)

GH and ABC aside, I have no comment for Daytime Exec's cuz they aren't worth my keystrokes, and I bailed on GH/All of ABC 4 years ago, but I urge all ABC viewers to flee to CBS (esp the young and the restless)

No tic tac teeth on that set.

maxsmom's picture
20 February 2009
1 day 17 min

To say I know or knew Ms. Couric would be an overstatement, she visited my place of business on several occassions back when she was on the Today Show and her public image was squeeky clean. I was surprised to find that there was a disconnect between the image and the reality. A talk host doesn't need to be sweetness and light like Ellen to be successful, we have David Letterman who has been cranky for 25 years but I would argue that a talk show host needs to be authentic and in my brief experience with her, Ms. Couric lacked authenticity and so I can't imagine why I would want to watch yet another talk show with people who are simply making the rounds promoting books, tv shows, movies, or the latest news event unless I love the host.

I haven't watched AMC regularly for 20 years but it's the cancellation that bothers me most because it was once my favorite and the favorite of almost everyone I knew. It wasn't just my show it was a community show. It was a part of my childhood and adolescene. I began watching OLTL at the same time as AMC and it's funny that it's the only one I still watch because as good as it has been over the years I never loved it the way I loved AMC. That said, it's cancellation has been like a punch in the gut. So maybe the sting of those cancellations have made me numb but the potential cancellation of GH isn't my problem with the Katie Couric deal: my problem is I dont think Katie Couric will be a good talk show host.

4 May 2011

TV Gord wrote:
Except that there have ALWAYS been focus groups! Back to the 60s, anyway.

True. However, if you haven't, read Harding Lemay's book "Eight Years In Another World". It gives great insight on the way the creative process used to be in soap writing. The writer would write the story, the network/production company would give notes, approve or disapprove and that was basically it. The viewers were the ultimate and final focus group. That wasn't unique to Lemay. All soaps were written that way.

19 January 2011
2 years 39 weeks

This woman is so frigid. I get that both Couric and Oprah are multi-millionaires but that's where the similarities end. At least Oprah is somewhat relatable and animated. IDK anyone in the 18-34 range who would be interested in this in the slightest.