BREAKING NEWS: ABC CONFIRMS All My Children and One Life to Live Have Been Licensed; Will Continue Online!!!

It looks like the New York Post got it right! ABC has issued a press release confirming All My Children and One Life to Live have been licensed to Prospect Park and are set to continue online! See the release in its full glory below:

BURBANK, CA – July 7, 2011 – ABC has licensed its iconic soaps, “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” to Prospect Park, it was announced today by Brian Frons, President, Daytime, Disney/ABC Television Group & Janice Marinelli, President, Disney/ABC Domestic Television and Rich Frank & Jeff Kwatinetz of Prospect Park.

The exclusive multi-year, multi-platform deal enables the soaps’ stories to continue beyond their finale dates on ABC. ABC will broadcast its final episode of “All My Children” on Friday, September 23rd and will air the final episode of “One Life to Live” in January, 2012.

The licensing agreement, brokered by Disney/ABC Domestic Television Group, enables Prospect Park to continue production of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” beyond their life on ABC. Prospect Park will produce and deliver the two long-running programs to consumers via online formats and additional emerging platforms including internet enabled television sets. Under the terms of the arrangement, the programs will continue to be delivered with the same quality and in the same format and length. Additional details of the new productions and tune-in will be forthcoming from Prospect Park.

“We are privileged to continue the legacy of two of the greatest programs to air on daytime television, and are committed to delivering the storylines, characters and quality that audiences have come to love for over 40 years. ‘All My Children’ and ‘One Life to Live’ are television icons, and we are looking forward to providing anytime, anywhere viewing to their loyal community of millions,” said Frank and Kwatinetz. “Technology changes the way the public can and will view television shows. Now that there are so many devices available in addition to television sets, viewers are taking advantage of watching shows wherever they are and on any number of devices. The driving force in making the switch and attracting new audiences is to have outstanding programs that people want to watch. We believe that by continuing to produce the shows in their current hour format and with the same quality, viewers will follow the show to our new, online network.”

“’All My Children’ and ‘One Life to Live’ are iconic pieces of television history that captivated millions of fans since their beginning over 40 years ago,” said Frons. “Each of the shows have made an indelible mark on our culture’s history and informed our consciousness in their own way. We are so glad Prospect Park has assumed the mantel for these shows and that they will continue for the fans.”

Marinelli continued, “From the time the shift in the daytime strategy was announced, our hope was to find a new home for these treasured shows. We are thrilled to license them to Prospect Park so the stories of life in Pine Valley and Llanview can continue to be told for the passionate and loyal fans that enjoy watching each day.”

“I’m just so happy that ABC found a home where the legacies of ‘All My Children’ and ‘One Life to Live’ can continue. I’m excited for their future with Prospect Park,” added Agnes Nixon, creator of both “All My Children” and “One Life to Live.” “It takes a lot of living to make a soap opera a serial, and the wonderful teams on both shows have done just that. Together, we are a big family that keeps going, and I’m looking forward to working alongside these wonderful people as we ensure that the shows will continue with all the love and excitement we’ve always had. I also am so happy for our loyal fans, whom we love so much, and who have been so supportive over the last 40 plus years.”

Prospect Park is a media and production company founded in 2009 by entertainment industry veterans Jeffrey Kwatinetz and former Disney Studios head Rich Frank. Along with successful film and music divisions, the company’s television group has numerous shows in development and breakout network hits airing, including “Royal Pains” and “Wilfred.”

In April, ABC announced that it was expanding the focus of its daytime lineup to include more programming that is informative and authentic and centers on transformation, food and lifestyle. “The Chew,” an innovative and groundbreaking daily talk show that celebrates and explores life through food, will premiere on September 26th. “The Revolution,” a daily show about health and lifestyle transformations, will replace “One Life to Live” in January 2012 ."

Comments

Smile Smile Smile Great news for both soaps. I looking forward to AMC because it is starting to cook!! AMC is turning into soapy goodness again, we can see more Kendall & Grif...YUM

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

Well, you can knock me over with a feather. I never thought it would happen, but I will happily eat my words. And even if it doesn't work in the long run, it will be fascinating to watch this transition happen and whatever episodes we get are just BONUS! This is exciting news!

And those who are concerned about watching shows online, I've been doing it for about a year and its so easy now, there's practically no difference to me. Also, TVs are already starting to be integrated with the web, so it won't be long before it will be just like watching TV. (My TV has the internet inputs; I've just never bothered using them before. I think I'll be figuring that out between now and September 26th (or whenever).

1 February 2010

There is room for both skepticism and elation here. It's great to get a second chance, but there are a lot of questions. I will say, I doubt it will effect how the shows "end" on broadcast, and almost certainly not for AMC, which is probably mostly written up by now. But, then, unless Ron Carlivati was planning on ending OLTL by dropping a nuclear bomb on Llanview, stories like soaps never really "end" conclusively anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

And to echo TVGord, I've often watching OLTL online the past few months, and it's perfectly fine.

9 December 2007
1 week 1 day

I just want to know when is the first air date, and how much we are going to pay to for this.

craigcp's picture
6 May 2009

Good news for the fans, wished the could have saved ATWT and GL. At least continue to watch OLTL, with the actors over there, will there be more budget cuts?

17 December 2010

I am excited by this news but I have 2 questions: 1. will I be able to view it online from Canada (I cannot watch current US episodes of TV shows on US websites due to region restrictions) and 2. how much will it cost.

I am still very excited that AMC (and OLTL) will live to see another day.

6 February 2009

Only downside for the OLTL fans is that our head writer is moving to GH in January. OLTL will need a new headwriter, hopefully one that knows how to space the stories out like the current one does.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

Another downside...goodbye, Robin Strasser. Can she come back or has she burned too many bridges?

1 February 2010

Would she want to come back, TV Gord? I mean, they're probably going to have to take even bigger pay cuts, and there comes a point when "take one for the team" just doesn't cut it anymore. Plus, she seems to want to move to LA.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

Good points, Bourgeois Nerd.

LoisKibbee's picture
14 April 2009

What is up with the Pod-Cast...is it just me or has it been forever (ha ha) since the last one? Anyone want to let us know when another one will be online????

matealestlmo's picture
9 July 2009

LoisKibbee wrote:

Oh trust me, Jamey, Luke, and the rest of the DC crew are getting that one ready to go and up and running.

LoisKibbee's picture
14 April 2009

LoisKibbee wrote:

It's only been a few weeks and so much has happened...it would be good to get the round tables responses@! Smile

matealestlmo's picture
9 July 2009

LoisKibbee][quote=matealestlmo wrote:
LoisKibbee wrote:

They just did the post-Emmy broadcast last week! LOL

marknsprmo's picture
14 June 2009

Great news for both shows. Great news for the audience. Even if the shows get on line for a week, it will be pioneering! The very earliest soaps on tv only lasted a matter of days or weeks. One was filmed at a department store and I think had just a few episodes on a network called dumont.
This could not only save these two soap operas, this could be the future of soaps. Soaps flourished very quickly when they got on tv. The first few attempts were bust. But once more people got tvs., the industry flew. Well guess what? People already have computers. We don't have to wait. OLTL and AMC if they are a sucess on ANY level whether short term or long term, can lead the way for a permanent new home for tv. It is exciting. Kind of like going back and watching Irna Phillips bring The Guiding Light to tv!
Another great thing about the shows getting a new start is that by the time AMC gets finished on air, they will need all new stories. They will have wrapped up the tv stories. So we will get fresh new story. I bet that Agnes is already plotting the first plot for the new show.

david46208's picture
15 January 2009

@matealestlmo: he's just mad that Passhite didn't get the opportunity to go online.

Other than that I'm happy that both soaps are moving online and will be watching and supporting both. Now this is the news I like to hear!

Nat Guy's picture
9 December 2009

I'm curious to see how this works out in terms of production quality and which actors will be staying/leaving. But for the moment I'm just going to be happy that the shows are continuing on. Yay!!!

matealestlmo's picture
9 July 2009

david46208 wrote:

Are you referring to Alistair? If so, oh well, he's just a sour puss!

AlistairCrane's picture
4 May 2008
2 years 37 weeks

^^ Never once did I say anything negative about OLTL and AMC going online. In fact, I haven't revealed how I feel about it one way or another. I merely pointed out that OLTL has been paring down its cast, eliminating veterans and bringing on newcomers, possibly as cost-cutting measures to make the online series producable.

matealestlmo, you are actually the most miserable poster I have ever encountered online, and your obsession with me is beyond creepy. I don't know why you stalk me and bash me. The attention is flattering, but you yourself are spooky.

matealestlmo's picture
9 July 2009

AlistairCrane wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! Gads, you're more self absorbed than I thought! Honey, if I was stalking you, I'd find your email address, phone numbers, your physical address and stalk you. That I can tell is something I WOULD NEVER do. What you just said above just made me laugh. Enough said.

THEBEST's picture
12 February 2008

This is exciting news!!!!! I am happy that I will be a part of this experience as our mothers & grandmothers were for the radio-to-TV transition. LONG LIVE AMC & OLTL!!!!! I just hope that they can keep as many vets as possible. They know that if the shows had been canceled, they're careers wouldn't be as strong as they were before. Plus, we have TONS of soap vets that will gladly take the pay and help get things going...

AlistairCrane's picture
4 May 2008
2 years 37 weeks

matealestlmo wrote:
AlistairCrane wrote:

I wouldn't put it past you. You've made quite the reputation for yourself online with your creepy behavior.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

Everybody stalks AlistairCrane. It couldn't be that you're just a jerk, right? Riiiigght.

david46208's picture
15 January 2009

@matealestlmo: Correct and correct!

Cream rises to the top and Agnes got both her soaps online. So there is a soap god in heaven. Other soaps like a certain demon infested one went to soap hell.

Ryan-Scott's picture
4 May 2009

There is something about this at first that screamed Peapack or DirectTV in that its just continuing the show for a little while more.
I am not going to focus on that and just be happy for however much more life we get to see in Llanview and Pine Valley.
Cheers kids!

AlistairCrane's picture
4 May 2008
2 years 37 weeks

TV Gord wrote:

Here's another example of a creep. I find it hard to believe that DaytimeConfidential essentially CONDONES you bashing me. Isn't that against the rules? Gord, David, Mark, and matealestlmo are the biggest offenders. You deserve to have your posting privileges taken away.

Soap_Stud's picture
28 November 2008

Let's keep the focus on the great news that OLTL & AMC gets to live on! Smile

11 August 2010

Soap_Stud wrote:
Let's keep the focus on the great news that OLTL & AMC gets to live on! Smile

Exactly! Let's put the negativity and bickering aside for at least today!

matealestlmo's picture
9 July 2009

emblazoned wrote:
Soap_Stud wrote:
Let's keep the focus on the great news that OLTL & AMC gets to live on! Smile
Exactly! Let's put the negativity and bickering aside for at least today!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH! Smile

AlistairCrane's picture
4 May 2008
2 years 37 weeks

matealestlmo wrote:
emblazoned wrote:
Soap_Stud wrote:
Let's keep the focus on the great news that OLTL & AMC gets to live on! Smile
Exactly! Let's put the negativity and bickering aside for at least today!

If you really felt that way, you wouldn't have started shit in the first place. Laughing out loud