Young and Restless Star Michael Muhney on His Daytime Emmy Crusade: "You Have to Learn to Fight For Yourself and Others Around You"






Editor's Note: The Young and the Restless actor Michael Muhney (Adam) reached out to Daytime Confidential to further express his passionate campaign to see the Daytime Emmy submission process rectified. Muhney originally published the following statement in our comments, yet said we could feel free to post it as a separate blog item:

Thank you to those of you who are commenting objectively.

First of all, the issues that should be laid out on the table are the "similarities" between Adam Newman and myself: There are NONE. That is why it is called "acting". However, I am aware that the contempt that people have for me as a person is strongly influenced by the fact that folks watch me, on a daily basis, being arrogant, patronizing, condescending, antagonizing and did I say arrogant? So when reading interviews or comments from me there are many folks who are reading my comments in an "Adam" voice with "Adam" tones. How could you not? I really can't blame people for that. It's not like you know me as a person. How could you? We haven't met. You've not been around me to see the kind of person I really am. So let's move along to this issue of knowing the real me...YOU DON'T.

I am married. A father of two. I'm very dedicated to my family. I love my work. I'm thankful for it everyday. I've had a 14-year work streak that has afforded me a large resumé and a comfortable lifestyle. I am constantly humbled by how lucky I've been to live out my dream, live out my passion and support my family. I have accepted many humbling defeats over the years where big roles have slipped through my fingers when they were offered to big-name actors. So I continued moving forward and pushing on. I am where I am in my career because of me, my family's encouragement and a helluva lot of luck. Now let's move on to this issue of me being egotistical and self-serving...because I AM.

We all have to have a healthy ego, to a certain extent. Didn't our mothers and fathers raise us to believe how unique and wonderful and beautiful and gifted we all are? Didnt they encourage us to believe we are amazing because they were preparing us for a world that would constantly tell us how ugly, fat, worthless, and miserable we all are. Isn't that what you want to instill in your kids? Strength? Belief in oneself? Confidence? We all want that for our children, and we all know they need it to survive the harsh realities of human nature. So if our mothers and fathers raised us that way, and we raise our children that way, why is it that you are so brutal when you come across an adult that has held on to those values and strengths that we all admit children need to succeed as adults. I believe in myself. I believe I am very talented. I believe I can help make my show better. I believe I can help this dying genre. And yet, it makes a lot of you uncomfortable to hear that kind of confidence.

This business regularly crushes people's souls and leaves them penniless, alcoholic, addicted to drugs, or soul-smothered. You have to learn to fight for yourself and others around you who you care about. In "showbusiness" you have to promote yourself, and believe in your talents, otherwise nobody else will believe in you if you can't even believe in yourself. So to those of you who are saying an actor has an ego is like saying a chef loves food. The two go hand-in-hand. Is it self-serving to want the Emmy system changed? Sure. What a surprise there! Naysayers are really peeling back the curtain with this one. You mean to say, Michael Muhney wants things changed & fixed with regards to the Emmy system so he has a better chance of winning fair-and-square? Wow. Shocker. What a newsflash! How did you ever connect those dots?

I never claimed to be Mother Theresa, because I'm not. But I do believe in speaking up and fighting for what's fair, and I do believe folks I work with are being unfairly passed over while others are being pre-nominated and nominated when they have NO BUSINESS being in contention. So I speak up for myself (self-serving) and my peers (selfless). Because I am outspoken, and fearless, there are many many co-workers who have come to me and thanked me for speaking out. They have explained that they felt like they would be fired, back-burnered, or blacklisted for speaking out. They explained how they felt like fans would be brutal and judgmental and accusatory of their public stand. They didn't want to be accused of being sour grapes. But they agree with EVERY WORD I've spoken in public with regards to the broken, cliqueish, unfair, Emmy system that has become a joke in Hollywood. So when I speak out, I do so for myself, and all the others. A lot of these people are some of your favorite actors, people who have been snubbed, their storylines neglected, and I speak up for them as well.

Do you hear ANY actors from my show hinting at negativity towards me? Quite the opposite. I am not Adam, the pariah that you perceive me to be, I am Michael, the person who gets along with everyone in my show, who sticks up for himself and others against bullies. I willingly take the brunt of all your criticism on behalf of all the actors quietly cheering me on.

So go ahead, continue to be harsh, continue to attack my character and motivations. But you should know that I know something you'll probably NEVER know...me. I can sleep at night knowing all that I do for my family, my coworkers, my show, the Emmys, and the daytime medium. I won't give in to the negativity that is slowly crushing the life out of a beautiful medium. Instead, I'll do everything humanly possible to insure my coworkers will have jobs for as long as possible, and you have daytime soaps as something to watch for years to come.

So get outta my way if you're gettin' in my way. I'm doing everything I can to help a broken, dying, sinking genre. Are you?


 

And there you have it.


Comments

alstonboy4315's picture
Member since:
12 February 2010
Last activity:
6 weeks 7 hours

Cgoff---

I am going to let you argue with yourself because you are clearly bringing up irrelevant points and trying to start an argument. And I am too exhausted to oblige you right now. Maybe later on, but not now.......

You need to take a few DOZEN deep breaths, honey. You are WAYYYYYYYY too wound up!!!! Have a great evening!!

Member since:
28 April 2011
Last activity:
33 weeks 11 hours

alstonboy4315 wrote:
Cgoff--Michael Muhney hasn't said anything about Michelle Stafford. He hasn't personally called out or spoken out against any of his co-stars.
And the reason why you haven't been nominated for a Daytime Emmy is because Emmys are SPECIFICALLY for people who work in the television industry. Not sure what you do for a living, but if it isn't television related, you ain't gonna win an Emmy.

then why is SHE being singled out by some just because she has been pre-nominated and nominated and has won an EMMY?

it is just an award! like getting a gold star in school, it really does not make one a better actor or a better person.

Member since:
2 March 2009
Last activity:
2 years 35 weeks

I am sorry but I am not a fan here. It is all well and good that Mr. Muhney speak about the Emmys. Apparently he wants us to all applaud his bravery. Well how about speaking out about the bias at Y&R. You can start by talking about how many of the Veterans are shoved off the air so newbies like himself can get more airtime. Please shine the light on the fact that KSJ hasn't had a new storyline in years and when they give him one it's dropped. He is essentially a token. While every freakin day we are allowed to gorge ourselves on Adam. When KSJ spoke out about this he was punished and was off the screen for six weeks or more. Let's see how brave you really are Mr. Muhney let us see you speak out on the bias and imbalance on YR. I am sure even you see the bias going on, on the very show you are a star of. It is easy to point out the wrong doing of those who do not pay our salaries. Real bravery is speaking out, no matter who it is. Employer or not. Go ahead and do it I am sure you are so loved by tptb they wouldnt dare take it out on you as they did KSJ! The Emmy's havent got anything on The Young and the Restless.

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
5 hours 22 min

You follow this industry for more than 50 years you say!? Then you should know and get that the Emmy Awards mean something to this industry.
It's about honoring their hard work. The work of the actors, writers, the make-up artists, the costume designers, directors and many other people.

This has nothing to do with our private life.

It's about this particular industry that tries to fight for their jobs and having an Award show with a system that actually works is a big part of it.

I don't get why are you so up against it. It's nice to get his own work recognized. And it's not like only Hollywood has it's awards. We have ours too and are proud to get one. If it's in sports or for moms at home, who get them from their kids in one form or another.

Member since:
28 April 2011
Last activity:
33 weeks 11 hours

^^my point is, in the 60 years I have watched soaps there are HUNDREDS of actors and actress's that have worked their ass's off int the genre and they have NEVER been pre-nominated or nominated or won an Emmy and yet you don't or didn't hear them bitching about it.

We don't have very many if any Daytime Emmy Award shows left, and this is the reason why.

Again just my opinion.

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
5 hours 22 min

@annyhall: You start a whole other topic that MM has zero influence in. You talk about TPTB on the show/or network. And yeah, something is wrong when KSJ speaks out and does get back burned for it - but you can't blame that on Michael in any form. He's doing his job, which is acting ... not deciding who get's more airtime or a decent story.

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
5 hours 22 min

cgoff wrote:
We don't have very many if any Daytime Emmy Award shows left, and this is the reason why.

And that would be the reason why it should be a great thing that someone is speaking so openly and passionate about it.
Of course many got not recognized for their work over the years. And it's a shame isn't it? So maybe it's time to change something about that as long as we still can!

AlexB's picture
Member since:
16 December 2007
Last activity:
3 weeks 6 days

All the man is saying is that the system is broken.

We can shout to high hell that the Emmy system is a crap shoot, but no one gives a hell because, hey, "were only the fans. We only watch these shows, these performances, day in and day out; record them, watch them so many times that we ruin our tapes in the process," for our health.

It says something when someone in the business opens up their mouth and says something. It's ridiculous to hate on him for that when it's the same business fans have been pissed off about for years.

It's not like he's just talking about him. If you listen to the last podcast with Muhney on it, he talks about stars on his own show that should have been nominated a long time ago, but haven't because the system is so screwed.

He should get props.

Member since:
27 December 2009
Last activity:
1 day 7 hours

WTF does a 401 K have to do with this? What do old people have to do with this? What does Michelle Stafford have to do with this? What does her cloths have to do with this?

I'm glad MM is trying to help the genre, but I do question some of this arguments. For some reason, this article hits me as preachy, but I'll give him props for effort.

Quote:
This business regularly crushes people's souls and leaves them penniless, alcoholic, addicted to drugs, or soul-smothered.

The business doesn't crush them. Usually, creative people have eccentric personalities and that leads them to drinking. Its part of them.

And MM didn't get nominated because his acting was not up to par compared to his coworkers and Michelle Stafford can get nominated every year, IMO, if her work is of high quality.

Member since:
28 April 2011
Last activity:
33 weeks 11 hours

soapjunkie88 wrote:
cgoff wrote:
We don't have very many if any Daytime Emmy Award shows left, and this is the reason why.

And that would be the reason why it should be a great thing that someone is speaking so openly and passionate about it.
Of course many got not recognized for their work over the years. And it's a shame isn't it? So maybe it's time to change something about that as long as we still can!

if it has not changed in the past 30 years, it is not going to change, and I see it spitefull for some to bash those that do win or get nominated.

matealestlmo's picture
Member since:
9 July 2009
Last activity:
1 year 50 weeks

Jesus, take the wheel and do something with cgoff and find herself something else to do.............like being a grandmother and knitting and not getting on this board and making no sense whatsoever!

401k's? Really?!

AlexB's picture
Member since:
16 December 2007
Last activity:
3 weeks 6 days

Even if all we get are two more Emmy shows I would watch the hell out of them if a change was made and actors/actresses, shows, writers, ect, were getting the recognition that they deserved. Just because the light is damn near out doesn't make it ridiculous to fight for change while we can still see.

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
5 hours 22 min

Don't get your argument at all, cgoff. Sorry. No disrespect to you. I haven't seen anymore bash at the Emmy winners. And what Michael is saying doesn't do it either. It just argues with the truth that some actors are overseen before an actual nomination.

I think it's just sad that a powerful actor like Michael speaks out something most of us are thinking and gets comments like that. The system isn't working. Not for him nor his co-actors. That's basically all what he said. Don't get what's wrong with that. -.-

Member since:
2 March 2009
Last activity:
2 years 35 weeks

soapjunkie88 wrote:
@annyhall: You start a whole other topic that MM has zero influence in. You talk about TPTB on the show/or network. And yeah, something is wrong when KSJ speaks out and does get back burned for it - but you can't blame that on Michael in any form. He's doing his job, which is acting ... not deciding who get's more airtime or a decent story.

I don't believe I said anything about him having any influence over YR no more than he can influence the Emmys. He has the same ability to speak out about the injustice going on on YR as he has with the Emmy. His influence is to shine a spotlight on the injustice going on for some of the actors/actresses on YR. Isn't this what he is trying to do with his Emmy rant? What I got from his long post was that we should think how brave he must be to point out the Injustice of the Emmy system. Well all I am saying, show me some real bravery and shine the spotlight on a place where injustice happens everyday and affects some actors/actresses pocketbooks! Apparently if he is ranting about the injustice of Emmys he doing much more than his job.

Member since:
27 December 2009
Last activity:
1 day 7 hours

IMO, the system is working fine. I can't think of a year when there was never a worthy actor nominated in a category.

matealestlmo's picture
Member since:
9 July 2009
Last activity:
1 year 50 weeks

^^How diplomatic of you Dyllan! LOL

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
5 hours 22 min

The Emmys have to do with his performance ... so this is actual a part of his job. Supporting events like that - being a part of it.
He could speak out about the injustice that some actors/actresses have experienced. But why should he do this again, when it hasn't done anything good with KSJ???

The story about KSJ getting back burned for speaking out is well known, but in the end nothing happened. Nothing happened from our side!
The anger wasn't so big that CBS or the people at Y&R felt threaten at any point and could have learned from it that they can't threat their actors that way. No there wasn't enough response.
When Daniel Goddard was about to lose his job. There was a response. The public noticed. And in the end he got his job back even though MAB would have been glad to be rid of him.
Doing something about the injustice that happened to those actors would be our job, if we have a problem with it. Don't see the need for Michael to do this.
And if he would do it ... some would complain that he should be glad he's on the show and has so much air time. Get real there. Wink

Member since:
13 August 2011
Last activity:
2 years 35 weeks

I like Adam and Michael and all I can say is God bless you for speaking out for the things you are passionate about including the Emmy's. The short, repetitive list of Emmy nominees is glaring even to a fan. The world is a much better place with people like you in it Michael. Your family is lucky to have you and vice versa I'm sure. Good luck~! Ps --i voted for your dad and love Shadam!!

Member since:
13 December 2009
Last activity:
1 year 14 weeks

Let me ask. Who is saying the emmys are unfair or not just Who? Who decides who are the fair and unfair nominees? Were the nominees this year this awful? I thought most were reasonable so I want to know what the complaint is. THere were 5 actors for example that got supporting actor nominations right? Because MM didn't get one were the 5 who got nominated undeserving? Maybe there were 10 actors that had good material but only 5 made the cut so whats the issue.

And for anyone interested the primetime emmys work exactly the same way in terms of the nomination process. its 2 episodes the voters review. They don;t watch the entire season to determine the winner. So is primetime also broken?

I want to know what is broken in terms of the process seriously because last time I looked over the past 10 years most of the nominees were deserving as were the winners. Sure some get overlooked but that happens in every awards process.

wjhboy73's picture
Member since:
29 September 2009
Last activity:
1 year 9 weeks

Some of you guys posting are way off point. The man isn't whining "I want my EMMY" or "Give me my EMMY." Nor is he saying , winning one is the Be All and End All. He is expressing an opinion, that many of us fans of soaps have been stating for YEARS, when we see who ends up nominated for an EMMY when they should not have been.....

Member since:
13 December 2009
Last activity:
1 year 14 weeks

But every award show out there is flawed. The Oscars is hugely political and a popularity contest. Bette Davis got blocked out of nominations for years because of her anti studio system stance. Meryl Streep who I adore gets nominated every year and yes she's a legend and amazing but she's also very well liked in Hollywood and very popular. SHe got 2 Oscar noms for lead actress that were supporting role. I guess my point is the system is flawed yes but so are the others but overall generally talented and worthwhile performances get nominated and win. Are they always the best no. But it happens. Its a popularity contest in every entertainment sector to a great extent. And in some sense you have to pay your dues before you get included.

Member since:
13 August 2011
Last activity:
2 years 35 weeks

great blog michael i loved it i love watching you on the young and the restless Smile

Ryan-Scott's picture
Member since:
4 May 2009
Last activity:
4 hours 21 min

The impression I have gotten from daytime actors is winning an Emmy is a wonderful recognition from your peers and that for one night you are the best in your field.

And like Susan Flannery says it makes a good doorstop.
And that's about all.

Just sayin. Smile

Member since:
27 December 2009
Last activity:
1 day 7 hours

Quote:
that many of us fans of soaps have been stating for YEARS, when we see who ends up nominated for an EMMY when they should not have been.....

Like who?

matealestlmo's picture
Member since:
9 July 2009
Last activity:
1 year 50 weeks

Drew Tyler Bell, Brittany Allen just to name two (both of whom went on to take home Emmy's that I'm sure were bought by their respective show runners).

Member since:
27 December 2009
Last activity:
1 day 7 hours

Yeah, but that's the younger category. That entire category is a joke. Who else were they going to nominate? The girl who played Eden on Y&R? LOL. The problem in those cases was the final judges who select the winners. Not the pre nomination process.

Member since:
22 October 2010
Last activity:
16 hours 22 min

That was a great thing you did Michael. There are only a select few that no matter what you do, will attack any character they can get their hands on. Be proud of what you have accomplished. You say you are in your career because of you. Be so proud, and continue to do what you have been doing. And ignore terrible people. I am comfortable with you and your confidence and all I can do is wish you well. Love to you and your family.

Member since:
14 August 2011
Last activity:
2 years 32 weeks

God Bless Eric Braeden!

Member since:
14 August 2011
Last activity:
2 years 35 weeks

Well said Michael!

Your editorial is well written and I have my own comment.

You're absolutely right....it's the nature of the beast...an actor has to have a little more ego than most. There are some great actors who don't seem to have an ego...(but I actually think that is an "act".)
There are careers where not having confidence....or faith in yourself would be a disaster.
I'm from a family of business owners....military leaders.....doctors....and performers. ALL of them need "ego"....they need confidence in their ability to do their job well.

@michaelmuhney Michael makes a great point....if he didn't have an ego...he would not be pushing to do his job better each day. He should be recognized. Michael (as Adam) has grown to be someone from whom I expect a great performance.

I think Michael has gained so much by being so open with his fans....I frankly would buy a ticket to see him perform in Movies...on stage....and I love that I get to see so much of him on Young and Restless.

Go Michael....keep working on those things about which you are passionate. I wish you the best always....and only the happiest of times with your family and with your career.

I enjoy your tweets. If you ever need an encouraging word....I'll never run out for you. Your fan, DesertGrammy.

bishbay's picture
Member since:
23 June 2010
Last activity:
8 weeks 14 hours

So Michael Muhney does tina? Good to know. Hope he gets help soon since he has kids.