SPOILED ROTTEN: 10 of Daytime's Best Loved Poor Little Rich Boys!



(No. 2) AJ Quartermaine, General Hospital

As questionable paternities go, AJ Quartermaine (most notably Sean Kanan and Billy Warlock) came into the world fairly simply, that is compared to the other poor little rich boys on this list. Okay, so his mother, Dr. Monica Quartermaine (Leslie Charleson) wasn’t quite sure if her hubby, Dr. Alan Quartermaine (Stuart Damon), was the proud papa, or if her old flame Dr. Rick Webber (Chris Robinson) should’ve been the one handing out cigars. Unless someone stole sperm or boiled an egg to make him, AJ really didn’t have much to complain about, but complain he did!

He complained about his parents loving his younger half-brother Jason (Steve Burton) more than him. He complained about his grandfather pitting him against his cousin Ned (Wally Kurth) at the family corporation. He complained about Carly (then Sarah Brown) getting pregnant by him, then drugging him and throwing him in the gutter to pass off his baby on three other dudes. Okay, we understand him being peeved about that last part!

The only thing this poor little rich boy didn’t complain about was the way scotch burned as he poured it down his throat by the gallon. Maybe it would have been better for AJ if ol’ Rick had been his daddy?


Comments

TV Gord's picture
Member since:
18 February 2009
Last activity:
55 min 5 sec

Mason Capwell!!! Hands down, the spoiledest (sic?) of the spoiled little rich boys! Good list!

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
1 day 23 hours

I would have added Fox Crane (Passions) to that list. When he came on to the show he was played as a spoiled little rich boy who loved being a Crane. He even was jealous when he was forced to compete against his once believed baster-ed brother Chad. Fox was the textbook definition of a spoiled little rich boy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWZGDX9D-M&feature=related

SoapArmageddon's picture
Member since:
22 January 2011
Last activity:
2 hours 36 min

My two favorites!

Phillip Spaulding and Mason Capwell (as played by the greatest Daytime actor ever, Lane Davies.)

shirls429's picture
Member since:
13 April 2010
Last activity:
6 days 21 hours

I love Thomas Scott(EJ)he is a wonderful actor and i feel so sad for him losing a family he thought was his. Please put him back with Sami because,they have a conection and great chemistry.

Bangel Angle's picture
Member since:
26 August 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 6 days

I wish James Scott and his fans would go away. Five days a week of EJ yet no room for Bo, Jack or any other well established character... And not one soap commentator is willing to point it out. No so called soap fan is willing to say flat out the reason days is so aweful is because Days' biggest mistake was writing the show around a newbie character, sorased so much its stupid he's even on the show, whose storylines never even have longevity cause they never bring them up again and an actor who can't sell water to a dehydrated man.

No. He's purtee do we gonna just shut up and point out the other problems on the show. Ignoring the main one crushing Days.

While he's eating up and crapping out the show his fans a destroyed a long list of message boards.

EJ is the biggest evidence of everything wrong with days.

blake3b's picture
Member since:
3 March 2009
Last activity:
2 days 23 hours

Great list!!! I am so glad that you had Phillip Spaulding at the top of the list, I was hoping he would be. I thought as the list got closer to the top that either Phillip or Alan-Michael Spaulding had better be on there lol.

Member since:
27 January 2010
Last activity:
1 year 50 weeks

You forgot Jack Devereaux from DOOL. Granted, TIIC seem to have also forgotten his little rich boy roots, but he definitely had them! Son of powerful, rich, corrupt, murderous Harper Devereux. Groomed to be the next JFk Jr. Only to have his political ambitions destroyed when he raped his wife Kayla, after finding out she was having an affair with lowlife Steve Johnson. And then to find out that Steve was his brother, and that he had been adopted! Yikes!!! Great drama for years.

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
1 day 23 hours

@Bangel Angle: As much as you don't like it, James Scott not only does good with test audiences, he generally has that fan base that few actors have gotten in daytime.

Veteran actors all know that they will have their time in forefront and that every now and again there will be that actor who comes on and becomes the new "it boy or girl".

James Scott happens to carry a lot of weight with a large % of the fans. And the fact that he CAN ACT doesn't hurt much either.

So he is a rare find in this genre.

harlee490's picture
Member since:
6 December 2009
Last activity:
2 hours 23 min

Excellent list! Just love, love that Phillip was at the top spot, because of Grant and his acting abilities always top notch, Phillip was such a layered character, with depth. Rather it be fighting with Alan, being a bastard to exact revenge against his rivals (throwing Grady over Laurel Falls to his death protecting his little Lizzie) or being a loving friend, father, or husband. Phillip had issues, the type of issues that make great soap!

Soap_Stud's picture
Member since:
28 November 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 4 days

Some of my favorite characters on daytime! I absolutely loved the Capwells and the Spauldings. This feature also makes me sad that the Kiriakis and Dimera families on Days and the Quartermaines on GH have been so watered Dow. Over the years. I never understand when shows abandon longrunning families on soaps. It never seems to work.

Member since:
16 June 2010
Last activity:
1 day 23 hours

Phillip Spaulding is my fav. He is one of the characters I really miss so much. There is no doubt he is #1.

If I had more hope for the last four soaps, I would like the character and the actor to show up on one of the other soaps. The way things look right now, I think it is best we just remember his ending on Guiding Light. I visualize him out there with Beth still getting together with all the rest of the gang from that show.

Member since:
21 April 2008
Last activity:
2 days 19 hours

As I was reading this list and I got closer to the end, I thought, if Phillip Spaulding isn't here somewhere, I'm gonna freak. He totally belongs at #1. Grant Aleksander once described Phillip Spaulding as daytime's Hamlet and that really says it all.

I'm thrilled that Mason Capwell is here too.

Bangel Angle's picture
Member since:
26 August 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 6 days

The biggest lie ever is that James Scott can act. This is one actor/character that hasn't been successful on the show yet the writers keep throwing storylines at him.

How many storylines has this man had? He has four going right now I believe (more than any other character). Now, balance that with how many successful storylines has he had. None.

He has not had a hit storyline in the four or five years he's been on the show. And its not all the writers fault. Some actors take crap and turn it into gold. James Scott looks pretty.

The one successful storyline involving him was only successful while Ari Zucker was the lead. Soon as James Scott took over leading the storyline it fell flat.

James Scott can play one thing. Evil. When they take him away from that, he falls flat. And the problem with Days is that they keep removing him from that. He sucks as a good guy. He can't play a complex character. He can't pull off the next Stephano and can't pull off the new Tony.

Most of James Scotts fans are not even fans of the show. They followed him from whereever he came from and now, like fruit flies, are wreaking everything.

This industry is dying because of its "it" boys can't deliver. And James Scott is a prime example. Just because his fans are loud and annoying does not mean they are large. They've just run everyone else off, hense killing message boards (just look at NBC and Sony's official boards).

If his percentage of fans were so large showing him five days a week for four or five years wouldn't be leading to this show's destruction. And it is.

And I'm so tired of this being the one critism that these so-called "keep it real" critics of soaps fail to make.

No one needs to be on five days a week. Especially if they have not ever proven they can lead a successful storyline from beginning to end.

Member since:
24 March 2008
Last activity:
31 weeks 6 days

I have always felt that AJ was more the victim than the sinner. No matter how hard he tried, and he did, repeatedly, he never got a kind work from the Q's - except Jason, the way Edward and Ned were allowed to treat him was a nightmare and Monica should have been ashamed of herself, only she never forgave AJ for not being Rick's child.
He had good reason to complain....

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
1 day 23 hours

@Bangel Angle: Th biggest lie is that he can't act. The guy uses his talent. sometimes he over does it. But he uses his talent as an actor and is worth every nod he gets. We've seen him show his evil side and venerability.

James Scott most often employees both the Meisner Technique and Stanislavski's emotional memory system for reaching certain emotions. Under 'slavski's system the actor takes themselves back to a time when they felt the emotion their character is supposed to be feeling to be able to express the mood and the feeling of said character at that moment. Renee Jones (Lexie) does this a lot too.

Actors often employ this method prior to going on stage or set. And while it works wonders (I have employed it myself when doing some theater work) It can emotionally draining.

Now when it comes to the Meisner Technique the actors generally use an psychical action which drives them to an emotional state that "said character" is to be feeling and/or expressing. The point is here that the actor must live/feel the imagined circumstances that their character is in. Scott has often employed this technique in his acting.

Now your turn to prove why he cannot act. Because what I have laid out here is a clear understanding of what techniques he uses and employees on set.

Bangel Angle's picture
Member since:
26 August 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 6 days

How does anything you just posted prove he can act?

The proof is in the pudding. He has not had one successful storyline on the show since the show decided to wrap themselves around him. I've seen bad storylines and I've seen actors take that bad storyline and sell them. I have not seen James Scott do that.

He is a one level actor. When he's dark he is believable when he is the romantic rogue or guy with the hidden heart of gold, it comes off forced and unbelievable.

He has potential. I used to just want him used less on the show. But Days have lost its mind over him and he is just sinking the show.

Member since:
11 September 2008
Last activity:
1 week 6 days

Bangel Angle wrote:
The biggest lie ever is that James Scott can act. This is one actor/character that hasn't been successful on the show yet the writers keep throwing storylines at him.

How many storylines has this man had? He has four going right now I believe (more than any other character). Now, balance that with how many successful storylines has he had. None.

He has not had a hit storyline in the four or five years he's been on the show. And its not all the writers fault. Some actors take crap and turn it into gold. James Scott looks pretty.

The one successful storyline involving him was only successful while Ari Zucker was the lead. Soon as James Scott took over leading the storyline it fell flat.

James Scott can play one thing. Evil. When they take him away from that, he falls flat. And the problem with Days is that they keep removing him from that. He sucks as a good guy. He can't play a complex character. He can't pull off the next Stephano and can't pull off the new Tony.

Most of James Scotts fans are not even fans of the show. They followed him from whereever he came from and now, like fruit flies, are wreaking everything.

This industry is dying because of its "it" boys can't deliver. And James Scott is a prime example. Just because his fans are loud and annoying does not mean they are large. They've just run everyone else off, hense killing message boards (just look at NBC and Sony's official boards).

If his percentage of fans were so large showing him five days a week for four or five years wouldn't be leading to this show's destruction. And it is.

And I'm so tired of this being the one critism that these so-called "keep it real" critics of soaps fail to make.

No one needs to be on five days a week. Especially if they have not ever proven they can lead a successful storyline from beginning to end.

I disagree, I just started watching Days again after about ten years and I love EJ, he is a great character and James Scott is a great actor. I love EJ and Sami, I think they could be Days answer to OLTL's Todd and Blair. I think EJ is just as important as John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Stefano, ect.

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
1 day 23 hours

@Bangel Angle: You are just ranting. I laid out the case for him as an actor. You have done nothing but rant. Maybe a little bit of acting education and you will be able to come with something of substance. Not just ranting. Let me know when you can. Until then, you've been OWNED! Wink

thecourt99's picture
Member since:
30 April 2009
Last activity:
3 hours 50 min

I love that Philip Spaulding made the list, but what about Alan-Michael Spaulding? He had to live up the shadow of his brother that wasn't even blood! He had even more pressure put on him by Alan to the point that it completely drove him away.

Would Billy Lewis the drunk fit into this list?

What about Paul Ryan?

Bangel Angle's picture
Member since:
26 August 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 6 days

You did not lay out a case for him as an actor. You layed out methods that you believe he uses to act. What does that matter?

I can tell you six different ingrediants a man uses to make a pizza. Still doesn't make it a tasty pizza.

Bangel Angle's picture
Member since:
26 August 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 6 days

cheesehead91182 wrote:
I disagree, I just started watching Days again after about ten years and I love EJ, he is a great character and James Scott is a great actor. I love EJ and Sami, I think they could be Days answer to OLTL's Todd and Blair. I think EJ is just as important as John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Stefano, ect.

EJ and Sami are more like Todd and Marty. Every attempt ends in fewer fans.

Sami could have been the next Erica Kane, Reva Shane, Carly Tenney... a character that's a brand. But since EJ swallowed the show, she's become a shell of herself and is no longer recognizable to anyone. And she was a well established character. Same with Nicole. Both are victims of this vaccum character.

And EJ is so important that no one cared that he's been shot and nearly died twice (both storylines failed to bring any interest from viewers and the writers had to end them quickly) and I'm pretty sure no one cares that this character is not Stephano's son.

He has his fans. But he is eating up the show and needs his on-air time cut or he needs to go!

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
1 day 23 hours

@Bangel Angle: Actually I did. I didn't just list ingredients. I laid out why the "pizza" is good. because you can taste it. Now until you can prove otherwise, then you have done nothing but rant. So i'm waiting for you prove me wrong. Again OWNED!

Soap_Stud's picture
Member since:
28 November 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 4 days

Is david46208 really James Scott?? Is Bangel Angle really Galen Gering? Ha.

Member since:
22 January 2008
Last activity:
3 min 1 sec

@Bangel Angel have you ever thought that if these "keep it real" critics you mention haven't said that about James Scott, that maybe...they don't agree with you? Shock

blake3b's picture
Member since:
3 March 2009
Last activity:
2 days 23 hours

thecourt99 wrote:
I love that Philip Spaulding made the list, but what about Alan-Michael Spaulding? He had to live up the shadow of his brother that wasn't even blood! He had even more pressure put on him by Alan to the point that it completely drove him away.

Would Billy Lewis the drunk fit into this list?

What about Paul Ryan?

I definitely think Alan-Michael should be on the list!

alstonboy4315's picture
Member since:
12 February 2010
Last activity:
6 weeks 6 days

All this arguing over whether an actor is good or not, in my opinion, is pointless. You can't change someone's mind if he or she is DETERMINED to feel a certain way, so don't waste your time, David46208. Smile Wink

You'd seriously have better luck banging your head against the wall!

It's all SUBJECTIVE, anyway! I don't think that Drake Hogestyn is as bad an actor as many people make him out to be, but I ain't gonna try to debate that fact with any of you, because what's the point?

Bangel Angle's picture
Member since:
26 August 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 6 days

Jamey Giddens wrote:
@Bangel Angel have you ever thought that if these "keep it real" critics you mention haven't said that about James Scott, that maybe...they don't agree with you? Shock

If these critics don't agree that James Scott doesn't need to be on five days a week, then they shouldn't be critics. They are too blind to see a show killer. If they can't look at this show and see that this character has been a drain due to bad writing, overuse, and bad acting... that every female character he is with is damaged and every male character he is put against is rewritten to be at a weaker position, then they are not good critics.

Bangel Angle's picture
Member since:
26 August 2008
Last activity:
4 weeks 6 days

david46208 wrote:
@Bangel Angle: Actually I did. I didn't just list ingredients. I laid out why the "pizza" is good. because you can taste it. Now until you can prove otherwise, then you have done nothing but rant. So i'm waiting for you prove me wrong. Again OWNED!

If that's what you think you did, that's cool. But I don't think that's what you did at all. I think proof to whether someone is great at their job is the results. He hasn't had one good storyline... ever!

I hated Mara West's brain cancer storyline but the girl atleast sold it! Reva, Josh and the clones?!

You can say the pizza's great but if you can only get those who will eat anything you make to buy it then it can't be good.

Member since:
11 September 2008
Last activity:
1 week 6 days

I just started watching Days again in the fall, before that I hadn't seen the show since when the Gemini twins story, so this is the first I'm seeing of EJ and missed out on all that other stuff. I disagree that Him and Sami are like Todd and Marty, because Marty was a victim, Sami is no body's vicitim she has balls and can go toe to toe with anyone.

I do agree that Sami could have been the next Erica Kane and I could still see that happening the writers seem to be makeing Sami more selfish and selfabsorbed like she used to be.

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
1 day 23 hours

@alstonboy4315: You got that right.