Days of Our Lives Star Melissa Reeves Tweeted Support During Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day



 




NBC's Days of Our Lives may have made great strides in supporting the LGBT community by penning a powerful coming out story for Will Horton (Chandler Massey), but apparently one of the soap's top stars would rather eat chicken than see gay people afforded equality. Melissa Reeves, who has played the mega popular role of Jennifer Rose Horton Deveraux on the sudser on and off since 1985, tweeted support for Chick-fil-A on Wednesday.

The fast food chain has been under fire for years, due to the millions it has donated to anti-LGBT rights causes. Most recently, Chick-fil-A's COO Dan Cathy confirmed his stance against gay marriage in an interview with the publication Blblical Recorder, resulting in calls from civil rights groups to boycott Chick-fil-A. I guess Reeves sees absolutely nothing wrong with the chain working so hard to deny 10 percent of the population their civil rights. She tweeted:

 

 



 


Reeves is absolutely right. She should be able to express her freedom of speech any way she sees fit. Just like I am free in this country to turn the channel from Days of Our Lives anytime her character comes on my screen — which is exactly what I plan to do.


Comments

Member since:
27 July 2012
Last activity:
1 year 35 weeks

Melissa's tweet felt like a gut punch to me. It was an extra dig that it was all about freedom of speech. Yeah right! Both Melissa and Steve Reeves have gay fans and I just feel so let down. Chick Fil A is more than just opposed to gay marriage. They contribute mega money to anti gay organizations....especially after yesterdays love in. I'm surprised she didn't quit Days over its Will storyline. Why don't both Melissa and Steve just get ordained already? Both GH and Days have gay boss' too. Also when did Melissa get so sainted herself? Please send Jennifer on a one way trip to far, far away and maybe she can pick up GH's Steve too! All the good Days has done with its Will story is now teetering on collapse.

GaryJr's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
4 weeks 20 hours

You people are missing the point. Did you actually read her tweet. It's about freedom of speech more than gay marriage. Every marriage has its ups and downs. The fact that she and her husband have stayed together this long in spite of anything that happened within their marriage is remarkable. Wishing her death or that she chokes on her food is the epitomy of ignorance. Maybe you all really should stop watching her on Days and pick up a book, if you know how to read.

I love how some people hide behind: "I support free speech!" banner (when it suits their bigotry of course). While some people might think it comes down to the marriage issue...that $5,000,000 he spent was for anti-gay causes which aren't exclusive to marriage rights. In the end that money ends up influencing people right on down the line; it legitimizes hate in some simple-minded people's eyes and the end result is bullying on the playground & in schools... which could lead to violence and/or suicide. People need to realize their actions have consequences they might not even have dreamt of coming to pass. Supporting this fast food establishment and then bragging about it only has one result: tearing gay & lesbian and non-gay & lesbian families apart. Maybe you should EDUCATE YOURSELF RICHARD!

Spins Vixenella's picture
Member since:
23 May 2008
Last activity:
1 year 17 weeks

Here's how Freedom of Speech works in America: Melissa Reeves is free to express her beliefs in written or spoken word on Twitter, and she is free to use her social influence or the money she earns to economically support her beliefs which apparently includes eating at Chick-fil-A. By the same token, everyone else is also similarly free to express their beliefs verbally or in written form, and they too are free to use their money, influence, etc. to promote their beliefs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in anyone expressing their belief that Melissa is wrong, including boycotts. Freedom of Speech does not include death threats, and there is some question as to the extent the First Amendment protects vile, vulgar language in public forums, but freedom of speech has traditionally included economic boycotts.

I see nothing wrong with those who disagree with Melissa Reeves exercising THEIR Freedom of Speech including boycotting her or her show in order to denounce her actions, absent the use of death threats and with language appropriate to the forum. That's the beauty of Free Speech, it works BOTH WAYS.

Melissa Reeves knew what she was doing when she chose the venue, format, & content in which to exercise her Free Speech last night on Twitter. I am not a fan of bullying or personal attacks, so I don't particularly enjoy watching folks go after Melissa Reeves using those tactics; however, to the extent those attacks do not violate cyber-stalking or other laws, the choice of how an individual will respond to Melissa is a moral question each person much answer for themselves, but Freedom of Speech encompasses their right to do so.

Here's my Free Speech contribution: I support the SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE 4 ALL, gay, straight, or soap star. Let she who is without sin cast the first stone.

Member since:
27 July 2012
Last activity:
1 year 35 weeks

Hyperbolic???? Those chicken lovers are hiding under the free speech rant that Huckabee thought of. She choose the day of the love in to send that out. Those dollars help spread anti gay bigotry...especially in Africa. Is it OK for one million moms to boycott everything that mentions the word gay? They mostly get a free pass. They wanted Ellen fired! Sorry, your argument falls flat.

Member since:
2 April 2009
Last activity:
1 week 2 days

I'm sorry but I am SICK of being reminded by hateful bigots that I don't have the same rights as them. Chick Fil A might not of intended for it to look this way but lots of people in my area took this as a chance to show Gay people they hated them not just because we want to get married and have the same rights but they JUDGED us just like Jesus said not to do.

This is discrimination and if it were against Hispanics or African Americans more people would be up in arms.

GaryJr's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
4 weeks 20 hours

I love how gay people claim others are close-minded, but then refuse to accept any position different than theirs. Anytime anyone disagrees it is followed by death threats, boycotts and more utter nonsense.

I love how bigots claim we need to chill out when no one is tearing their families apart. No one is denying then over 1400 legal rights afforded staight marries (Civil unions don't and can't address those.)

But this isn't just about marriage. He's donated $5 million dollars in the last few years to a number of organizations they legislate and discriminate against gay people.

The only utter nonsense in this room is blow-hards like you who sit all righteous behind their computers from who-knows-where and issue damnations down on ordinary Americans who haven't done one thing to you or your family.

GaryJr's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
4 weeks 20 hours

-

sillytee's picture
Member since:
9 February 2009
Last activity:
10 hours 42 min

i'm just glad i'm an atheist!

Member since:
27 July 2012
Last activity:
1 year 35 weeks

Transfigurationjc wrote:
I'm proud of Melissa and Chick Fil A for standing up for what they believe. It's about free speech. The Gay Rights Lobby made this a controversy and it back fired on them and bit them in their collective butts!

Chick Fil A appreciation day was an overwhelming success around the nation. Thank goodness this country hasnt allowed the radical leftist agenda to bully them into submission.

I love how you use words like leftist agenda and gay rights lobby. It's ok for them to boycott anything that mentions the word gay right? You know those 40,000 One Million Moms? They wanted Ellen fired! You conservative religious blowhards that want everyone to live your way is downright insulting. Bullying???? Sorry, you Jesus lovers invented the term and misuse the good book every day. I pray for you daily.....you need it.

Member since:
2 April 2009
Last activity:
1 week 2 days

I just don't understand why so many people care. Last time I checked God didn't leave them in charge he did tell us to love each other, no sin is bigger than the other and not to judge yet so many Christians do this.

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
1 day 7 hours

@GaryJr: If this was Facebook I would like your comment. If this was Twitter I would retweet you. But this way let me just say thank you! Great comment!!!

And again this isn't just about gay marriage. Chick-fli-A is associated with right-wing conservatives who want more than just ban gay marriage. Chick-fli-A gives money to an organization that wants to see gays behind bars or in death row.

Why diminish a certain group of people? Why supporting anti-gays while teenagers commit suicide because they think they should be ashamed of themselves?
How would any gay kid of one of those supporters feel? Is this the massage you should send to your children or - in case of Melissa Reeves - to your fans?

AGAIN Chick-fli-A is not just against gay marriage. They are against a certain group of human beings!

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
19 hours 38 min

CFA supports FRC which supported a Bill in UGANDA to make it legal that their government can round up every GLBT individual and kill them just because they are GLBT. When patrons eat at CFA their money helps this cause. So lets take GOD out of this cause the GOD I Believe in would never be for killing people cause they are GLBT. There is nothing Godly in this. This is not about Marriage equality and if ur ok with it. Its about Human life and by CFA supporting FRC they are standing still and doing nothing as the UGANDA govt campagins to kill all the gays. Thas the issue here.

Member since:
27 July 2011
Last activity:
47 weeks 5 days

GHteenybopper wrote:
How is that the homosexuals want the freedom and rights that as humans they ARE entitled too, but the minute someone disagrees with their lifestyle that person becomes the devil?

They gays have their right to belief in what they believe, but so does everyone else. Boycotting the show Melissa Reeves is on because her belief system is different than that of the gays is incredibly hypocritical. Homosexuals are now able to get married (at least here in all of Canada...not to sure about all the states), you can't watch a single show without homosexuality being promoted or discussed, which helps educate the public who may have been ignorant about that particular lifestyle before, and then you have a few religious people who come out in support of a restaurant without saying anything negative about homosexuality and suddenly they're homophobic, give me a break.

It's not fair for homosexuals to complain about their rights, when they complain about others expressing their rights.
****

No one said she was the devil. Several have said she was a bigot and a hypocrite and I tend to agree. If you are going to support bigots, you are a bigot. You can't stay on the sidelines and not chose a side. Apathy only breeds more bigotry. Future generations will look back on people like her the same way we look back on the bigots who rallied against inter-racial marriage and rallied against women's right to vote. In fact, this current generation of bigots has borrowed so much rhetoric from last generations' bigots that it's hard not to see the parallels.

GaryJr's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
4 weeks 20 hours

@GaryJr: If this was Facebook I would like your comment. If this was Twitter I would retweet you. But this way let me just say thank you! Great comment!!!

And again this isn't just about gay marriage. Chick-fli-A is associated with right-wing conservatives who want more than just ban gay marriage. Chick-fli-A gives money to an organization that wants to see gays behind bars or in death row.

Thanks! It turns my stomach every time I read someone telling gay people off because they want basic rights. It takes a special kind of dirt-bag to condemn people they don't know & rubbing their noses in the fact that a minority would rather see gays face down in the dirt than be afforded the same rights as everyone else. It's pathetic and pretty disgusting.

Member since:
27 July 2011
Last activity:
47 weeks 5 days

Ryan-Scott wrote:
Frightening...

For those who think it's ok for MR to endorse this shithouse, read about just what that shithouse supports.
If you still find it ok, my sympathy card is in the mail.

****

Amen!

Member since:
27 July 2011
Last activity:
47 weeks 5 days

SoapArmageddon wrote:
Being gay is not a choice, a lifestyle, nor a belief. It is an identity. When you support those who actively seek to deny or deprive someone of the rights they are entitled to as human beings, you do not deserve anyone's respect or consideration.

****

Beautifully said and so true!

Thank you fellow soap fans for making me feel proud today! I have decided to focus on all of your wonderful comments rather than focus on the narrow mindedness and bigotry of a select few.

blake3b's picture
Member since:
3 March 2009
Last activity:
3 days 12 hours

Well she has lost any support from me. Now I won't care that she won't have any story once Jack leaves.

GaryJr's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
4 weeks 20 hours

Thank you fellow soap fans for making me feel proud today! I have decided to focus on all of your wonderful comments rather than focus on the narrow mindedness and bigotry of a select few.

Thank you! You have an amazing attitude; you just made me smile after a two day period of mega-frowning! I need to quit that or I'll get MRF! (Missy-Reeves-forehead) <--Sorry I couldn't resist, you can consider it payback for all the gay bashing I've received since I was in the 4th grade.

Member since:
2 August 2012
Last activity:
1 year 36 weeks

I wish Reeves would stop confusing "freedom of speech" with "freedom from criticism". If the government was arresting the head of CFA and throwing him in jail for his comments, that would be a violation of free speech. However, people boycotting CFA or saying unpleasant things about the CEO in NO WAY infringes on his right to free speech.

Oh, and I'll also be changing the channel each time she's on the screen. I'm thoroughly turned-off by her passive-aggressive (and inaccurate) approach to having a dialog about a serious topic.

I also see no CFA in my future because I don't want my money going to support a company that has that stance on gay marriage.

Member since:
1 July 2009
Last activity:
2 weeks 17 hours

jezza: thank you for your comments to thebookerman. I wish I were able to phrase my thoughts this perfectly.

Ravennite613's picture
Member since:
10 December 2008
Last activity:
5 weeks 5 days

GHteenybopper wrote:
How is that the homosexuals want the freedom and rights that as humans they ARE entitled too, but the minute someone disagrees with their lifestyle that person becomes the devil?
They gays have their right to belief in what they believe, but so does everyone else. Boycotting the show Melissa Reeves is on because her belief system is different than that of the gays is incredibly hypocritical. Homosexuals are now able to get married (at least here in all of Canada...not to sure about all the states), you can't watch a single show without homosexuality being promoted or discussed, which helps educate the public who may have been ignorant about that particular lifestyle before, and then you have a few religious people who come out in support of a restaurant without saying anything negative about homosexuality and suddenly they're homophobic, give me a break.
It's not fair for homosexuals to complain about their rights, when they complain about others expressing their rights.

I stopped reading here because I needed to say THANK YOU Teeny. THis post says it all for me.

As the wife of a soldier and who has family members and friends still fighting. I've watched friends die fighting for what we have here in this country and it all comes down to one statement for me

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

This is the choice I take for living in this country if I want someone to tell me how I can live all the time with no freedoms I'll move to China. I am an American and as such I can affect change.

Ok stepping off soapbox

GaryJr's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
4 weeks 20 hours

GHteenybopper wrote:
How is that the homosexuals want the freedom and rights that as humans they ARE entitled too, but the minute someone disagrees with their lifestyle that person becomes the devil?
They gays have their right to belief in what they believe, but so does everyone else. Boycotting the show Melissa Reeves is on because her belief system is different than that of the gays is incredibly hypocritical. Homosexuals are now able to get married (at least here in all of Canada...not to sure about all the states), you can't watch a single show without homosexuality being promoted or discussed, which helps educate the public who may have been ignorant about that particular lifestyle before, and then you have a few religious people who come out in support of a restaurant without saying anything negative about homosexuality and suddenly they're homophobic, give me a break.
It's not fair for homosexuals to complain about their rights, when they complain about others expressing their rights.

I stopped reading here because I needed to say THANK YOU Teeny. THis post says it all for me.

As the wife of a soldier and who has family members and friends still fighting. I've watched friends die fighting for what we have here in this country and it all comes down to one statement for me

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

This is the choice I take for living in this country if I want someone to tell me how I can live all the time with no freedoms I'll move to China. I am an American and as such I can affect change.

Ok stepping off soapbox

You both CLEARLY don't understand what's at stake here (or you just don't care). Marriage rights and Freedom of Speech are only the tips of the ice berg.

I don't have a problem with their freedom of speech; I'm glad they came out of the closet NOW I KNOW NEVER TO GO BACK. But as I said in another post, as others have posted, this bigot dropped $5 MILLION dollars on organizations that lobby to legislate and persecute gay people.

When society tells Joe Gay kid from Kansas something is wrong with him, that he's worthless, Joe Gay kid hangs himself, throws himself off a bridge, shoots himself etc. Joe Gay kid is dead because it bothers some people that we exist. That's just plain sick and disturbing. How the hell do some of you sleep at night with that kind of attitude. I pray none of you have gay children because you have no idea what kind of hell they're about to go through. It's not a choice or a lifestyle. It's just life.

Where does Melissa Reeves, a known adulterer to the world, get off? Why don't you worry about your own house before you bring down that kind of pain on gay kids who have done nothing to you and your kind. Hell Days of our Lives is full of gay people (in front and behind the camera), starting with the top Gary Tomlin, so why don't you do us all a favor and start up your won boycott and leave the show and these message boards behind. It's your RIGHT after all.

SoapArmageddon's picture
Member since:
22 January 2011
Last activity:
11 hours 6 min

Thank you, Ravennite.

For giving us another example of what your hateful kind tries to do. Your insinuation that gays are unpatriotic and your idiotic attempt to distract from people's basic human right to demand an equal share in their society is laughable.

I don't even begrudge the fact that my tax dollars help to put money in your husband's pocket and food on your table. My prayers are with your husband and all our other troops.

ChrisGa's picture
Member since:
9 September 2009
Last activity:
5 min 40 sec

lchb8 wrote:
I wish Reeves would stop confusing "freedom of speech" with "freedom from criticism". If the government was arresting the head of CFA and throwing him in jail for his comments, that would be a violation of free speech. However, people boycotting CFA or saying unpleasant things about the CEO in NO WAY infringes on his right to free speech.

Oh, and I'll also be changing the channel each time she's on the screen. I'm thoroughly turned-off by her passive-aggressive (and inaccurate) approach to having a dialog about a serious topic.

I also see no CFA in my future because I don't want my money going to support a company that has that stance on gay marriage.

* * * * * * * * *

I'm right there with you. I've long known the Cathys' and CFA's stance regarding their religious beliefs--I live in Atlanta, not far from the first CFA Dwarf House as well as their corporate headquarters and Truett Cathy lives in a neighboring county--but I had always chalked it up to them just being a bunch of religious zealots. I even grabbed breakfast there two or three times a week on my way in to work. That's no longer the case. Dan Cathy's "guilty as charged" speech put an end to me ever setting foot in a CFA. In the end, our wallets speak volumes and while their "Appreciatian Day" may have been a rousing success I think negative long-term ramifications are still on the horizon.

GaryJr's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
4 weeks 20 hours

I'm right there with you. I've long known the Cathys' and CFA's stance regarding their religious beliefs--I live in Atlanta, not far from the first CFA Dwarf House as well as their corporate headquarters and Truett Cathy lives in a neighboring county--but I had always chalked it up to them just being a bunch of religious zealots. I even grabbed breakfast there two or three times a week on my way in to work. That's no longer the case. Dan Cathy's "guilty as charged" speech put an end to me ever setting foot in a CFA. In the end, our wallets speak volumes and while their "Appreciatian Day" may have been a rousing success I think negative long-term ramifications are still on the horizon.

Don't worry their brand image has been in a free-fall for 3 weeks according to the people who keep track of that sort of stuff.

http://today.yougov.com/news/2012/07/27/chck-fil-takes-perception-dive-f...

Mark It Right's picture
Member since:
10 November 2011
Last activity:
1 year 1 week

@ Vixen - Well said, well said. Unfortunately, many people on both sides won't read and understand your post.

Mark It Right's picture
Member since:
10 November 2011
Last activity:
1 year 1 week

Perhaps they will kill her off in the Daysaster. Perhaps a wood beam will land down her throat. Then let her enjoy free speech.
All smart a** comments aside, this makes me very sad. I have been a Days fan for 35+ years. I have enjoyed her as Jennifer. Even though she has limited range in her acting. She has been a bore this time anyway. Hopefully, they will write her off. If not I will just fast forward through her scenes.

Ravennite613's picture
Member since:
10 December 2008
Last activity:
5 weeks 5 days

SoapArmageddon wrote:
Thank you, Ravennite.For giving us another example of what your hateful kind tries to do. Your insinuation that gays are unpatriotic and your idiotic attempt to distract from people's basic human right to demand an equal share in their society is laughable.I don't even begrudge the fact that my tax dollars help to put money in your husband's pocket and food on your table. My prayers are with your husband and all our other troops.

Yes it's the do as I say nation. I have a niece who is my heart and who is a lesbian and I will stand with her when she marries one day in NY..the same way I plan on standing next to my cousin when he is allowed to marry in New Jersey. Something that we have been fighting for..please don't assume you know you know anything about me because I agree with someone.

Also please explain where in my statement I EVER said gays were unpatriotic because if that's what you got out of my statement then I really think you have the problem.

I will never enter a Chik-Fila but I will never begrudge anyone who wants to.

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
13 hours 1 min

This isnt about left or right you dumb ass, it's about perpetuating hate. As long as gay and lesbian people are singled out and not treated equally as every other American citizen the bullying
Will continue, gay suicides will continue, hate crimes will continue. When gay and lesbian people are given all the same rights as every other citizen that is when the hate will begin to heal.

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
6 days 12 hours

@Robbyrob: If you don't like the message being spread then you spend your money to send an opposing message. That is your freedom as an American. Freedom of speech does not work as long as you agree with what is being expressed.

Yes that means even speech one considers hateful is protected by the first amendment.

Yet, when people start threatening physical harm because you don't agree with the speech. That is a step too far.

You can feel free express your disagreement with the fast food restaurant and their financial practices. Express yourself.

But you have to realize that everyone is not going to agree with mines, yours and others point of view. That's life.

You can't simply annihilate everyone you disagree with. And this is a problem with both sides in any disagreement.

On a final note if you looked at what every corporation supported, donated their money too, you'd be living in a commune.