Days of Our Lives Star Melissa Reeves Tweeted Support During Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day



 




NBC's Days of Our Lives may have made great strides in supporting the LGBT community by penning a powerful coming out story for Will Horton (Chandler Massey), but apparently one of the soap's top stars would rather eat chicken than see gay people afforded equality. Melissa Reeves, who has played the mega popular role of Jennifer Rose Horton Deveraux on the sudser on and off since 1985, tweeted support for Chick-fil-A on Wednesday.

The fast food chain has been under fire for years, due to the millions it has donated to anti-LGBT rights causes. Most recently, Chick-fil-A's COO Dan Cathy confirmed his stance against gay marriage in an interview with the publication Blblical Recorder, resulting in calls from civil rights groups to boycott Chick-fil-A. I guess Reeves sees absolutely nothing wrong with the chain working so hard to deny 10 percent of the population their civil rights. She tweeted:

 

 



 


Reeves is absolutely right. She should be able to express her freedom of speech any way she sees fit. Just like I am free in this country to turn the channel from Days of Our Lives anytime her character comes on my screen — which is exactly what I plan to do.


Comments

Kendall Troy's picture
Member since:
16 April 2012
Last activity:
30 weeks 4 days

GHteenybopper - I really have to disagree with you. I think that being a gay teen can be a psychologically trying time on it's own without adding bullying into the mix. Not only are you coming to term with your sexuality with your peers, but you're finding out it's different than theirs. You're church is telling you you're an abomination, possibly you're family is telling you you're "wrong or in a phase" if they are active enough in your family unit to notice at all, and society really is not molded for who you are. Because whether you like it or not, it's a heterosexual world. Marriage, couple references, your friends, mostly reflect heterosexuality. Then you place bullying into the mix in the war fare that is school (God forbid if you're an effeminate boy or butch girl) and I think that helps to drive a confused and impressionable kid over the edge.

I'm sure chemical imbalances, parenting, medicines, etc, all can play a role, but I think society and natural selection play a part with gay teen suicide.

Kendall Troy's picture
Member since:
16 April 2012
Last activity:
30 weeks 4 days

Happy Day - Race and sexuality are two different things as far as society goes. Homosexuality is as true and unchangeable as pigment, but will always be different to them.

I am curious what will happen to women when they are no longer allowed to work and their opinion is not as valued as a Man's. After all, the Bible says their place is in the home. It makes a very clear picture of women being secondary to men. If time cannot change for the interpretation of homosexuality, it shouldn't for anything....that would be hypocritical and automatically discredited in my mind. (Don't get me started on heterosexuals that eat shrimp!)

My heart is sad she said what she said, but I support her right to say it. Get it out there, it builds a dialog. I much rather know who my friends are than my enemies. It certainly has opened my eyes to a few people here...

Member since:
9 March 2012
Last activity:
7 weeks 5 days

Can I just say that I support free speech (although I may not agree with it). I support Melissa Reeves's belief that she supports free speech. I like Chick Fil A. I think their sandwiches, lemonade, and milkshakes are awesome. Dan Cathy has his opinion. He's against gay marriage. He doesn't believe it based on his faith. He should not be bashed or called "ignorant", "backwards" or other such names because of his beliefs. It is easier to persuade someone to change their beliefs with soft words than to yell and scream your beliefs at them.

Based on Melissa Reeves' tweet, this one tweet, I don't get the impression she's saying she supports discrimination against gays. I think people who feel that way are putting their own filter and beliefs on her words. Has anyone actually asked her what she meant? She may just support Dan Cathy's right to have his opinion. She may also just support Chick Fil A and the organization's right to their own opinion. We are wasting too much time on Daytime Confidential on this issue. We have 4 soaps we need to continue to support so that they are not canceled and we're left with nothing.

For those people who have said and are thinking they will turn off Days of Our Lives, you do no good to anyone. There are more actors and staff on that show other than Melissa Reeves and you do them a disservice that may cost them their jobs. On the same note, everyone needs a job in this economy and I doubt boycotting Chick Fil A and possibly costing the good people who work there jobs is good for their communities. There is a Chick fil A opening up down the street from me, and while I may not eat there a lot, I will eat there because those jobs are good for my community.

I think another poster said that gay couples do not have the same rights and married heterosexual couples and they used an example of making medical decisions for their partner. I have to partially disagree with that statement. Any person in this country has the ability to name a medical decision maker should they be unable to make decisions on their own. In most states it's called a Medical Power of Attorney. Unmarried couples can have a POA. Family members can be Medical POA's for other families, clergy for parishoner's, anyone. I work with people in the later stages of their lives and I am often surprised when I review medical paperwork that those types of documents are not updated especially when there has been a breaking of a relationship. In cases like a divorce or family members that no longer speak to each other and now you have a child that hasn't spoken with their parent for 20 or 30 years who is a/the decision maker for someone they hardly know, or an ex-wife or ex-husband. I know this off topic, but I think it's important that people know they don't have to be married to have a person who can make decision for them.

Sorry for such the long post.

SoapArmageddon's picture
Member since:
22 January 2011
Last activity:
4 days 10 hours

Mystery Story, you do know that there are still places in this country where people can be fired for being gay, right?

Chick-Fil-A's Dan Cathy doesn't only SAY he's against gay marriage. He DONATES money to groups that seek to block gay marriage and legally establish or continue the persecution of gays. I don't think Dan Cathy is ignorant; I think he's evil.

Now, Melissa Reeves is quite possibly ignorant if she thinks this is only about Free Speech.

And the fact that you are free to say something doesn't mean you should, especially when what you're saying promotes a culture of hate against a group of people.

jsg03jd's picture
Member since:
14 February 2008
Last activity:
9 hours 51 min

So funny coming from a Bible thumping Hester Prynne!!!

Member since:
28 February 2009
Last activity:
12 hours 7 min

Ryan-Scott wrote:
Um, yes GHteenybopper gay teens who have been bullied because they are gay have killed themselves because of it.
Pick up an issue of People sometime.

Even better, take a look at this video from Rick Mercer(he's a Canadian comedian who has a show on CBC). It's one of his rants on teen suicide. Usually, he goes for laughs. Not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1jNAZHKIw

Member since:
9 March 2012
Last activity:
7 weeks 5 days

In regards to the Judeo-Christian Bible, although women's positions were normally relegated to the home, there are many, many instances of powerful, women leaders in the Bible. There was the Judge, Deborah, there was Jael killed Sisera who was attacking the Israelites. There was Ruth, the great-grandmother of King David, who through her faith and devotion begat the greatest Biblical king. There was Lydia who was a merchant of Thyatira, Priscilla who had a team ministry with her husband Aquilla, and Anna who was a prophet. I'm not sure these women's strengths and positions are always told about but their place in history wasn't just in their homes.

stoney07's picture
Member since:
18 August 2009
Last activity:
6 hours 40 min

I still don't get it...I agree that just because you believe something doesn't make it right.

Mr. Cathy doesn't believe in gay marriage...doesn't make it right.
YOU believe in gay marriage....doesn't make it right.

All I've been trying to say is, it's HIS personal beliefs. If we choose not to eat at his establishment, it should be a personal choice...I think there's a lot of overreacting here. Because when I see people compare it to SLAVERY...I just don't get the logic. The man doesn't agree with gay marriage based on his beliefs. He has never told ANY of his chic-fil-a's to turn away gay customers/employees/ANYTHING. Slavery was something that was forced. This is just one man's opinion.

I think it's unfair that like I said, the man was ASKED his opinion and all this came out of it. ANd for the person that said you didn't ask his opinion, he didn't TELL YOU his opinion. He stated it and it spread...I just want everyone to think about it logically. As I said, I'm not bashing anyone or anything. I just think if there's going to be a FIGHT or boycott, it SHOULD be for gay marriage...NOT for some man running restaurants that stated his opinion. Some battles just aren't worth fighting... Because whether his restaurants lose money or NOT....at the end of the day he's still going to have his opinion and nothing's going to change. So WHY???

alstonboy4315's picture
Member since:
12 February 2010
Last activity:
5 weeks 6 days

An opinion and promoting hatred and intolerance are two different things. Back in the "old days," people believed that Jews should be slaughtered. Does that make it right? They also believed that African Americans were substandard human beings who belonged in the back of the bus! Does that make this "opinion" right?

Ms Reeves is SURELY not without fault. After all, didn't she SCREW her co-star back in the 90s and get involved in a dirty sex scandal? And I am sure that she has broken at least ONE of the ten commandments within the past 24 hours. But does that mean that because she thumps her little Bible, flashes that sanctimonious smile and pretends to be perfect that she's going to heaven? I will let YOU all answer that!

Personally, I used to like her as an actress, but never found her to be all that outstanding. She lacks a lot of depth and edge. Blander than the day is long. The show was just FINE without her and would be fine if she left and never came back......

If they ever want to recast, I can name at least 10 actresses who could easily fit in this role. This woman is NO deal-breaker!

Member since:
9 March 2012
Last activity:
7 weeks 5 days

There are places in the country you can be fired for being Hispanic, black, fat, fired for anything. You are just told you "don't fit the image of the company". "Evil" is a really harsh word to use for someone whose beliefs you do not agree with. I'm sorry for you that you feel such vitriol and hatred towards someone whose done nothing to you personally and you don't even know.

I don't agree with the beliefs of the Ku Klux Klan, but I don't think all of the people are evil. Misguided, yes. Ignorant, yes. A group of people who have a myopic view of the world. Absolutely. But I don't feel I need to expend the energy many of the people on this board have on hating them and showing them how much I disagree with them. I agree that just because you can say something means that you should. It also means that just because a person can say mean spirited things, like you did earlier about the woman whose husband is in the military, you should. You apologized after you were called on it and I respect that. Everyone just needs to take a breather and go back to what they were doing, watching and talking about the soaps.

jezza's picture
Member since:
24 September 2011
Last activity:
4 hours 59 min

thebookerman wrote:
Again, no one is stopping gay people from having everything a married couple can EXCEPT the actual title. Many people are denied titles in real life, job promotions, money, relationships etc. but they are NOT denied anything that a married couple is. (Do not mention anything about tax breaks to me either. I'll gladly provide some strategies to a gay couple as to how they can get the same breaks. Feel free to PM me about that.)

Ah, yes, separate but (almost) equal! Now where have I heard THAT before?

Seriously, this poster must either be joking or completely nuts.

Member since:
11 March 2010
Last activity:
4 weeks 1 day

I don't understand this first amendment issue. That's not why thy are being boycotted. Chick is being boycotted because they give money to anti-gay groups.

1) Chick-Fil-A Vice President Launched Marriage And Family Legacy Fund.
2) FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)- Ministry Leader Application Condemns "Impure Lifestyle" of Gays.
3) Exodus International - that promotes “Ex-Gay” Therapy.
4) Family Research Council- has been designated As An Anti-Gay Hate Group By the SPLC.
5) Georgia Family Council - Argued For Prop 8
6) National Christian Foundation - Donates To Anti-Gay Groups

pjc722's picture
Member since:
6 February 2012
Last activity:
23 hours 45 min

Whereas, I agree with Melissa Reeves on making her First Amendment rights known and can applaud her for doing so, I have to say that this is not about the freedom of expression of an individual speaking for himself. Cathy was voicing his opinion of his company's stance and not an individual one.

Melissa Reeves is a hypocrite. She "coveted thy neighbors spouse" and allowed another to "covet her" while she was married and had children. Melissa can speak her mind and voice her first amendment opinion, but so can I.

You live in a glass house, Melissa. You sleep around and you cheat. You lied to your husband, lied to fans, and basically, somewhere in the bible you are consider a WHORE. Wear the label proudly, as I will wear my label even more proudly as a GAY FREE MAN.

SoapArmageddon's picture
Member since:
22 January 2011
Last activity:
4 days 10 hours

I said nothing mean-spirited about any poster on this board. I apologized for a word-choice. Get it right!

Go back to defending your untenable and irrational stance.

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
12 hours 35 min

You are right Stoney, you don't get it. Unless you are the target of hate, stereotyping, and unequal rights, you will never get it.

Member since:
12 October 2011
Last activity:
9 weeks 4 days

Good to see that Chick-fil-A did very well today.

A victory for free speech and the right to have an opinion, not a loss for people hoping for the privilege of marriage to be granted to gay people.

stoney07's picture
Member since:
18 August 2009
Last activity:
6 hours 40 min

TomZulawski wrote:
You are right Stoney, you don't get it. Unless you are the target of hate, stereotyping, and unequal rights, you will never get it.

Umm...I'm a gay black male.

NEXT??????????????

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
12 hours 35 min

In the end the gay and lesbian community will prevail and all the chick fil A supporters will be viewed poorly by history. Ignorance and stupidity will be revealed. You know who you are.

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
12 hours 35 min

If you are a gay black male then you should be ashamed
Of yourself.

stoney07's picture
Member since:
18 August 2009
Last activity:
6 hours 40 min

I should be ashamed of myself for thinking a lot of what's going on is just an overreaction?

A man stated his opinion. WHOSE business is that? Who is he harming??? Is this about the fact that he gives money to anti-gay groups, or the fact that he actually came out and confirmed those rumors that were already out about him? Either way, I'm not on his side, but I also get tired of everything being a "gay issue". ONE man has his views on something based upon his religion, and instead of people personally deciding not to support him, there's this huge outcry...and I think it's ridiculous.

So because I don't agree with YOU, I should be ashamed of myself? You should be ashamed of yourself for forcing YOUR beliefs on ME. There's irony in this somewhere...

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
12 hours 35 min

I agree with your original statement, you did make an ass of yourself.

Member since:
12 October 2011
Last activity:
9 weeks 4 days

TomZulawski wrote:
If you are a gay black male then you should be ashamed
Of yourself.

Posts like this are exactly why "the gay community" continues to be one of the most obnoxious movements in the US. You do not get to tell people how to feel or act. Isn't that what you're criticizing the Chick-fil-A CEO for?

If you make a gay joke it's letters to the network, it's a bitchy complaint from LGBT, it's called "offensive." If anyone is against gay marriage they receive death threats and people call for their jobs. Really, you want someone to be homeless because they disagree with you. What in the hell does that accomplish?

Bottom line: Everyone has the right to be who they are, love who they want to love, and live how they want to live. You do not get the right to tell people what they can and cannot do. The Chick-fil-A CEO has no power to prevent anyone from doing anything, he is just stating his opinion.

If you disagree with his opinion, great, more power to you, and feel free to not go to the restaurant. You're only denying yourself some great food. And any extended boycott/ban of Chick-fil-A in a city only hurts innocent people looking for jobs, it does not affect the CEO in any way.

So, congratulations gay community. Your push to keep Chick-fil-A out of Boston probably cost the city 100 jobs, violated a number of rights of the company and made more people visit the locations already running. Kudos on a job well done!

stoney07's picture
Member since:
18 August 2009
Last activity:
6 hours 40 min

Let's see.....I gave my opinion, you couldn't take.

You argued with me over something that really makes no difference because at the end of the day, this man is still going to be sitting back UNBOTHERED by all of this. And then you found out I was gay, and instead of you just accepting that I had a differing opinion, you resorted to elementary tactics such as saying "I made an ass of myself" when in reality, you were the only one in this conversation that was misinformed. I'm pretty sure had you known I was gay in the beginning, you wouldn't have said anything.

Have a nice day...comment all you'd like, but I've given you enough shine.

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
12 hours 35 min

Bookerman I've read your posts on here throughout the day, I haven't engaged you because by what you post I have no respect for you. If you want to engage me, bring it on.
You obviously don't have the intelligence required to fully grasp this subject.

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
12 hours 35 min

Stoney when I see mistreatment I speak out, not just for gay issues, but
For all. No one deserves to be treated less than any other human being, my point is that as a gay black man you should want to speak out, remaining silent and allowing others the platform to perpetuate hate make you just as guilty. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of equal rights for a minority.

Member since:
12 June 2012
Last activity:
6 days 13 hours

GHteenybopper wrote:
Ryan-Scott, not quite at the PhD level yet, but part of having suicidal tendencies and actually committing the act itself does have something to do with chemical imbalances as well which are caused by some underlying mental illness, most of those gay kids who do the unthinkable have been shown to have a history of either depression or another form of mental illness, some are even put on anti-depressants which increase suicidal tendencies/thoughts in younger people. Maybe they didn't explain that in the issues of People magazine you read. I was put on anti-depressants when I was 16 and my mom was told to keep an eye on me because the main side effect was an increase in suicidal ideation. Now I'm not saying them being gay doesn't factor into them wanting to kill themselves, but it's certainly not the main catalyst for their suicidal ideation as you seem to be implying.

I've suffered depression on and off since the age of 15, and mine is caused by my history, not by a chemical imbalance. My life situation changed drastically by an accident, the affects of which I'm still living, which causes me to be prone to depression in times when my pain is barely livable.

So I can only imagine what being born gay, realizing your own truth at an already confusing age and then having to live in a world that tells you that you are horrible, disgusting, unworthy, wrong, twisted and that you deserve to die because of who you are... would do to you. These beautiful young people are only 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 years old. They're not killing themselves because they are gay, they're killing themselves because they're being bullied, beaten, tortured by people around them. Do I believe in coincidences? Yes. Do I believe that every child who takes his or her own life because their community and peers have tortured them because of their sexuality also just so happens to have a chemical imbalance that makes them prone to suicidal thoughts? No.

Not all depression is caused by chemical imbalances. History and circumstance is often the cause.

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
7 hours 6 min

One more time not upset over the anti gay marriage issue its the fact that CFA doantes money to many anti gay groups. One of which is the fRC. The FRC Supports UGANDA's bill that they should be allowed to round up all of the GLBT people and KILL THEM.

How can anyone on here support a company that supports killing people for who they are.

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
12 hours 35 min

Thank you appleridge, truly, thank you for your informed posts.

Member since:
12 June 2012
Last activity:
6 days 13 hours

Ryan-Scott wrote:
Like a neutered dog, you just don't get it.
Oh well.

I like you.

Teenybopper, I was bullied throughout my entire time in school, I came *thisclose* several times. I knew, unfortunately, of several who were bullied who did take their own life.

You do not get to put the monopolizing opinion on what bullying is if you haven't lived it every day for 10 years. Bullying is not some kid saying "I don't like you." It breaks your soul a little bit every day. It doesn't matter if all of a sudden he or she takes a day off, just doesn't find you interesting, you're still under their power. You're still scared, you know it can change in a second, and they'll be back in your face, punching and screaming. And, in my case and many others', you know you have no one on your side. It changes the way you look at everything. I still can't go near my school, because I get physically ill. And I was bullied because I was fat. I could change being fat, one cannot change being gay.

caitlinp's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
11 weeks 5 days

Richard, the Supreme Court disagrees with you, and has ruled that Marriage is a right. The case has been fought in front of the court often, but it has involved heterosexuals. For example, there was a case where a state government tried to make it illegal for for a man to get married again, because he'd already been married a few times, and in each case after the divorces he would leave his ex-wife and children without supporting them financially. The Supreme Court ruled that the state can't stop an adult from getting married, and would have to find another way to punish someone for not paying child or spousal support.

2. I would say that donating money to hate groups, groups that are not only working to stop marriage equality, but also do things aimed at turning gay people straight (as if that's possible) is discrimination.

3. The people in a marriage are the ones who define it. And if the Bible is accurate, a quick reading of it will show that marriage has not always been the way that we view it. Or, we can look at history, and see that marriage used to be a business contract, and had very little to do with love. But, more importantly, there are a lot of things that used to be done in the name of tradition. Thankfully, definitions and traditions have changed. We know that some of the things that we used to do in the past, even in the name of religion, were wrong.

4. Your fourth point couldn't be more wrong. Marriage as it stands now is a legal institution, and as such there are a lot of legal rights that married couples have, and take for granted, that gay people do not have. Because of DOMA there are even rights that are being denied to those gay couples who are legally married. That is not equal. Do a little research on the topic.