The Young and The Restless Places Casting Call For "Vivacious, Energetic, Ambitious" African-American Female

Is diversity once again becoming a priority at CBS Daytime's The Young and the Restless? The sudser that gave us Dru, Neil, Malcolm and Liv in the 90's and 00's has put out another casting call, this time for an African-American female in her mid-20's named "Sally Tate".

According to the casting call, "Sally" is:

Vivacious, energetic, ambitious. She's a mom balancing work and family. She's had her share of tough times, but always bounces back from even the most trying situations. Sexy, romantic, fun-loving, with a delightful sense of humor and an eternal twinkle in her eyes.

Are you excited to see two new characters of color coming to Genoa City? Any fears these casting calls might be smokescreens for recasts of Devon (Bryton James) and/or Lily (Christel Khalil)? Sound off in the comments!

Comments

25 July 2012

Coffee_Junkie's picture

This better be a Lily recast. Crystal Khalil can't act for shit. I don't care if she "originated" the role. She lacks the acting chops to carry the character into ADULTHOOD.

I could see that this is a recast for Lily.

The first thought seeing this casting call was 'When do the firings at Y&R start'? Looks like they already began to either replace people or make room for the new ones.

25 July 2012

Coffee_Junkie wrote:
The show is diverse enough and the cast is already too huge. NO MORE NEW CHARACTERS!!! I should head over to the LANE boards for some fun reading. I'm sure they are having a freaking CORONARY, LOL!

I'll have to call my good pal in San Diego and see what she says about this! LOL

I could see this as "Lily" but not sure, because just maybe (as crossing legs, fingers, toes & eyeballs) could be talking to VR returning as Dru? Could be sticking point, if so fans would say bring back Drucilla to lose Lily and just recast her. Maybe this could be Nate?

16 October 2008

I'd like to see a hunkier Devon and a Lily who can act!

ChristianDavis148 wrote:

I am hoping this is for a LILY RECAST, but seriously doubt it. I would like to know, since the new people's stories don't start until October 1 to possibly 15,
if this is the new or old regime doing this?

Coffee_Junkie's picture

harlee490 wrote:

Yeah, it's common knowledge CK and VR did NOT get along at ALL. I would say there were more issues between the two of them than there were VR and Michelle Stafford. MS even made a statement recently (I forget where) that almost made it sound like she was extending an olive branch. ('we're all professionals and need to do what's best for the show" something like that). But VR has pissed off/dissed SO MANY people over at Y&R (Peter Bergman, MTS) that I just can't see them bringing her back unless they had her telecommuting and not on the set at ALL, LOL!

Coffee_Junkie wrote:

This person hit the nail on the head, but they won't get rid of Crystal or Lame Brain Cane, even though they are both terrible actors.

Coffee_Junkie's picture

yojoromo4469 wrote:
ChristianDavis148 wrote:
These casting calls are IMO definitely for Devon and Lily. It only dawned on me once I saw the casting call for "Sally Tate". It sounded way too much like Lily. Then I went back to the casting call for "Trey Douglas" which when I re-read it, it sounded way too much like Devon. We're going to be saying good-bye to Bryton James and Christel Khalil soon. As for Lily being recast, I'm all for it. Not sure why JFP would recast Devon unless she's taking the character in a completely different direction, which would explain the need to recast the role.
if this is the new or old regime doing this?

The old regime have left the building. The new regime is there now so anything we hear now is coming from them.

harlee490 wrote:

Someone else that does not seem to understand, They Will Never Bring Back DRU.

Restless Fan's picture
12 December 2008

For the first time in a long time I'm excited about what's to come with Y&R. The LML and MAB years were spirit killing. Especially MAB who should have been doing a better job given those close Bell family ties. Her Y&R was and will always be remembered as dreadful.

@yojoromo4469...Never say Never my friend. If CBS wants VR back, and the actors know this is different ball game. Eric B. and his statement about changes at Y&R, he's nervous. EB won't be controling JFP as he did with MAB, I think the actors know the attitude has to change.

Ryan-Scott's picture
4 May 2009

It would be great to see Dru back but I think VR's book about when she worked there puts a torpedo in that.
Most people would not want to work with someone again after they do something like that.
Or maybe that's just me.

dkp's picture
9 June 2009

This sounds like a Lily recast. Please make it so!

Ryan-Scott's picture
4 May 2009

Nate Hastings Jr. I would love to see.

Coffee_Junkie's picture

Ryan-Scott wrote:
Or maybe that's just me.

Yes, but it's not really UP to the cast whether VR returns or not. JFP and co. could very well say, "look we know VR has stepped on a lot of toes around here, but we are considering bringing her back to Y&R. You are either for us or against us."

Most people who are not happy with that decision could find work elsewhere. Or perhaps not. Either they would want to be working actors in a dying genre, or they wouldn't.

I'm no VR fan/cheerleader by any stretch of the means. But if her coming back to the Y&R set means we LOSE the "actress" currently playing LILY than I am all for it!

david46208's picture
15 January 2009

Recast the bitch! I can't wait for it if it is that. Because CK has been dragging the the Winters down with lack of acting talent. We want a Sistah Gurl to play the role of Lily, not this old lazy bad acting heifer!

25 July 2012

So much casting news between B&B, Days and Y&R these last couple of weeks, it's been hard to keep track of what the heck is going on! My head is still spinning with Susan Flannery's departure/non-departure from B&B.

All of this news is enough to make bloggers and magazine editors pull their last remaining strands of hair out of their heads!

david46208's picture
15 January 2009

@Jillian Bowe: I think the Y&R execs and JFP must be reading DC and listening to the podcast. They must have started to think that since this site gets over a million views a month that maybe they need to tune in and see what people are saying...

But if this is a recast for Lily (Thank You Jesus! Sweet God Almighty!), I think they should fire CK the way she returned. Have her come in on a Friday and hear the new actresses named called over the intercom like they did to Davetta Sherwood.

Or in-fact I will make special trip down to L.A. (since it's not far from me in CA) and let me be their 1 day intern. I'll follow her as she heads to her car and tell her like they did to Lillian Hayman on OLTL that "You just worked your last day!"

bishbay's picture
23 June 2010

I don't hate Christel Kahlil. Anytime she shared the screen with Daniel she came alive (still think they should be together), and I was also impressed by her work during that dreadful GhostCane storyline--when she told that freakshow, abusive husband Cane to back the hell off because she was losing her mind, I was right there with her performance.

david46208's picture
15 January 2009

@everyone: Who would play a recast of Lily or a new character?

I have 2 actresses to presents

Chrystee Pharris (Simone #2, Passions) She also has that flavor they are looking for in an actress. http://youtu.be/6PlEGLsRZjA

Coffee_Junkie's picture

bishbay wrote:

And then she turns around and REMARRIES the guy, making her the dumbest bitch on the show (even dumber than Sharon).

Coffee_Junkie's picture

david46208 wrote:
@everyone: Who would play a recast of Lily or a new character? I have 2 actresses to presents Tanisha Lynn (ex-Dani, AMC) She has that qualities they are looking for. http://youtu.be/Xday-cLHtT8

I like the gal in your second clip, but not the Dani actress. Blech!

Smitty's picture

so when are we going to get some more news on firing? Only person we know has been given the boot is Kevin Schmidt....there has to be more leaving....

Smitty wrote:

That's what I would like to know.

I hope we hear some news very, very soon. And I hope that the newbies are on the exit list!

harlee490 wrote:

Not ever going to happen. She cut her own throat with that big mouth. If she is so talented, why isn't she on anything and I mean anything else?

david46208's picture
15 January 2009

@Coffee_Junkie: Yep I would say call her up! All ready knows the daily grind. Once you have been on Passions, if you have not learned how to act then it ain't gonna happen.

angrierblackerman's picture
8 September 2009

I think it might be a Sophia recast. Why would she recast Lily when Cain and Lily have a decent fanbase?

But I can't say that I would be sad to see Christel 'OMGCOLLEEN!' Khalil go.

rlshel1015's picture
6 May 2010

i don't want to sound whiny, but if they are bulking up the african american cast then they just need to bring back VR! i love her! we all have to work with people that we don't always get along with - that's life. the cast needs to get over themselves and put aside their differences for the greater good.