Lindsay Bushman Out as Young and Restless' Summer Newman

Another blonde actress who plays a member of The Young and the Restless' fictional Newman clan has been let go. Relax, Melody Thomas Scott and Sharon Case fans!  Lindsay Bushman, who has been portraying Nick (Joshua Morrow) and Phyllis' (Michelle Stafford) annoying daughter Summer for a few months, has been let go, according to Soap Opera Uncensored. The role is set to be recast.

Comments

Coffee_Junkie's picture

Oh DARN....... lol.

Restless Fan's picture
12 December 2008

Sweet Jesus, Thank God!!! I hope Fen and Kyle aren't far behind! Keep those kids off the canvas for about 4-5 years and make us forget they existed. MAB aging all the younger set at once is another example of how she mismanaged the show. Talentless hag!!

12 April 2009

Summer is just being recast, she is apparently still going to be around. I just hope the recast does not boost her into her 20's. LOL

25 July 2012

Thank God indeed! Lindsay Bushman needed to go! I could not stand her! Even if the role is being recast, I certainly hope that JFP and the casting director hire a much better actress for the role and can play with the big wigs on the show!

25 July 2012

glowery wrote:

Glowery,

I don't think we have to worry about her being aged into her 20's. I suspect that JFP knew that Summer was aged way too fast may end up making the character a bit younger than this current one that is being played Lindsay Bushman.

25 October 2011

First of all. This girl was miscast. Why in the world is Nick and Phyllis' daughter blonde.

25 July 2012

Excellent point made Divatude!

25 July 2012

The recast should be one of three things:

1--Have auburn colored hair

2--Have red hair

3--Have strawberry blonde hair

4--Be younger than Lindsay Bushman and around a decent age.

'Nuff said!

12 April 2009

Why is Summer blonde? Does anyone not recognize highlighted hair when they see it. LOL Her hair color didn't bother me near as much as her lack of acting skills.

Now about possibly making Summer younger, that would be fine, but what to do with Kyle and Fen? Kyle was about 10 or 12 when Diane was murdered and now his is in his early 20's? Fen and Summer should be close to the same age, so if they make her younger they need to recast Fen.

25 July 2012

How many wanna bet that the actor who plays Fen (Max Erlich, I think that's his name) and Blake Hood (Kyle) will be the next two to go?!

12 April 2009

Now that Bid Red is Big Brown, they need not worry about finding a red head for the part. Smile

25 July 2012

glowery wrote:

As I said in comment # 10, I think that's what JFP will end up doing. Recasting Fen AND Kyle.

25 July 2012

glowery wrote:

Touche! LOL

22 January 2008
1 day 38 min

While the actress wasn't great, the SORASing of Summer was not that odd. Does anyone else remember a blonde, six-year-old Victoria going off to boarding school and returning a brunette, decade-older Heather Tom? Exact same thing happened with Nicholas.

Good riddance!!!

10 April 2012

BRITTANY UNDERWOOD AS SUMMER OR KELLY MISSAL AS SUMMER

25 July 2012

Yoryla wrote:
Good riddance!!! I'm sorry for the actress losing her job, but she's young and has her whole life ahead of her. Summer ha been annoying and unnecessary character and only there to prop Phyllis. As far as I'm concerned, all characters around Phyllis can go. Including Summer. Why do they need to recast her??? Send Summer away to a boarding school/ university to get an education and learn something about life. Maybe she'll come back matured. There is absolutely no need for Summer on the show. Bye!

I actually have to agree with Yoryla on this. She does need to go to boarding school and grow up a bit. I suspect after Phyllis' trial that Nick will end up sending her to boarding school, but for how long, I have no idea.

25 July 2012

aleana25 wrote:
BRITTANY UNDERWOOD AS SUMMER OR KELLY MISSAL AS SUMMER

Are you freaking kidding me?! Brittany Underwood cannot act that well! Sorry, but I don't want an actress who basically stole an Emmy from an actress who deserved it much more than she did!

1 August 2012

She needs to go away for a while. This actress sucked, the worst young actress I've seen on a soap in awhile and that says alot considering those awful teens on OLTL in the past few years. She can return with a better unknown actress with a better attitude.

27 December 2009

Jamey Giddens wrote:

However, I don't believe Josh Morrow looks old enough to be this Summer's father. EB appeared to be the right age when Heather Tom was cast.

1 August 2012

Brittany Underwood did not win an Emmy your are thinking of Brittany Allen. Brittany Underwood played Langston on OLTL and is the lead on Hollywood Heights.

5 March 2010

i liked her and wish her well.

no more firings for a while please. too much!

2 April 2009

Y&R is gonna be a sausage fest with all these female firings.

nysam's picture
28 October 2008

I like Brittany Underwood, but the actress is pushing 30 and wayyyyyyyyy too old to play Summer.

16 August 2009

Thank you Jamey! Came here to say the same thing. The kid versions of both Victoria and Nick were blonde before the SORASing gave us HT and JM.

I wasn't feeling Lindsay Bushman because her acting was not the best and she, in my opinion, looks a tad too old for a teen character. I know TV and film always casts actors about 2 years older (at least) than the actual character age for child/teen roles, but something about her seems 20 even if she isn't. And wardrobe/hair (that frosted blonde especially) weren't doing her any favors.

22 December 2011

Keep the heads rolling, JFP!!

Now I want to read where the doofus who plays Kyle gets axed!! That will truly make my day!!

12 October 2011

This is really disgusting by Jill Phelps. It's not a matter of whether or not I disagree with the cuts she made (and I do for most of them) but how she is managing the show.

Let's look at this from the business perspective. I don't have exact figures, but this is essentially what she's doing:

Actress A makes $1200 a week. Despite her history on the show, I can bring in a similar character played by Actress B for $1000 a week. Look at me Sony, see, I'm turning the budget around!!!! I just saved $200!

Lindsay Bushman was young, I can't imagine she was making that much money, but she wasn't that bad. If you're knocking 20% or so of the salary for the next child actress to play her do you think you're going to get such a vast improvement that people will excuse YET ANOTHER recast? No.

Something I have noticed with a couple of these cuts too, mainly Debbi Morgan and Marcy Rylan, is that it appears they're removing some of the comedy elements of the show. Now, you can say what you want, and while some people may not like that in Y&R anyway, it is something that adds to the broadcast when you are not exactly at the climax, and the exciting parts of storylines. Without some light-hearted Neil and Harmony conversations and some Chloe and Abby catfights, those filler episodes are going to get even worse.

One last thing about the way Phelps budgets the shows: She cut a bunch of actresses who were key parts of the show, to bring in actresses for slightly less money who have no legacy in Genoa City, yet she counteracts that by bringing in her handpicked headwriter Josh Griffith.

So, not only is she not saving the show any money, but we lost some characters that had big fanbases. Makes no sense from a dollar perspective, and makes no sense from a storytelling perspective.

When are they going to fire some MALE actors?

Sony shouldn't be this stupid to cast a misogynistic shadow on itself.

Coffee_Junkie's picture

Yeah, it looks REALLY terrible for them to be firing ALL women. What the hell??

shirls429's picture
13 April 2010

Smile Nothing against the actress but,she was all wrong for the part Hopfully they will cast better next time.