The Young and the Restless Celebrates 24 Years as Daytime's Top-Rated Drama!

The late Bill Bell's enduring legacy continues. CBS Daytime's The Young and the Restless just celebrated its 1,248th consecutive week as the No. 1 daytime drama. For the past 24 years, Y&R has been daytime's most watched soap, beginning the week of Dec. 26, 1988. Congrats to the cast and crew!

Comments

TraceyAbbot101's picture
4 March 2012

This show, under the new regime, is getting better and better!

Today's ( Thursday ) episode was great. I have to laugh out loud at some of the snappy dialog, and then I sit back and think " Oh hell no, did he/she just say/do that? "

Nick needs to keep his clothes on.

Loved the look on Nikki's face when she opened the door and saw who was standing outside in the hallway!!

soapbaby's picture
7 April 2011

I think Nick is just fine the way he is!!! Lol.

Seriously, I agree about the upward development in Y&R. The dialogue has greatly improved and most of characters are being drawn more richly. I do, however, hate the current writing of Jack Abbott.

alstonboy4315's picture
12 February 2010

NO thanks to Hackarena Bell or Lynn Latham..........

NathanHastingsSr.'s picture
10 August 2010

I hope GH gets that number one spot!

hey mon's picture
19 May 2011

Josh G, just as he did in 2007, is putting me to sleep (or is it the gin?).

22 December 2011

TraceyAbbot101 wrote:
This show, under the new regime, is getting better and better!

Totally agree - I don't miss the silliness and far-fetchedness of Maria Arena Bell's 'vision' for "Y & R" for a second!! Nice to see the show becoming more grounded and less outlandish! I'm also enjoying the dialogue a lot more now that the new regime's storylines are evolving - characters are actually speaking coherently TO one another and not AT one another - big diferrence in terms of good storytelling.

I'm also enjoying the new locales (the new restaurant set, the new penthouse home as of yesterday) and the new camera angles in which the show is being taped - can't be stuck in the 80s, now can we???

How do I know I am enjoying "Y & R" again? Because I am actually taking time to watch and listen every night, unlike the LML & MAB years when it was just on & I paid very little attention.

There are still kinks in the armor (more characters can be disposed of, IMO) but I am liking what I have been watching.

stoney07's picture
18 August 2009

GH will NEVER get that spot again.

Anyways, congrats Y&R. Laughing out loud

brettyboy's picture
28 July 2012

I like Y&R but have to disagree, I think it's become very boring over the last few weeks.

bobbyew's picture
19 October 2012

Congrats!!! It has gotten better and better. I was worried there for a second. Not a minute but a second. Today's epi was great the clothes, the snipes, the set and sharon showing up at the last minute. It was likle the food old days. It would be awesome if they left us with a cliffhanger tomorrow. Again, congrats Y&R.

brettyboy wrote:

It has gotten very close to the boring stage. Too much Nick and Avery. Kyle and Phyllis need to talk to Jack about the drug problem. Now would be a good time for the ghost of his Dad. The new restaurant/bar or whatever does not impress me.
They have never shown a picture that I have noticed showing the whole thing, just little intimate groups and that makes it seem very small and uninteresting. Not liking the way some of the stories wrapped up and miss Abby.

pferrando's picture
28 June 2012
2 days 55 min

This is such an accomplishment. I remember the first time I heard it had hit number one...I was so excited back then because I truly thought it was the best soap on the air at the time.

I think it has deserved that claim MOST of this time, and hope to see continued improvements.

Congrats to the great cast for keeping us tuning in through the last 6 or so years when things haven't been quite so perfect.

CONGRATS...Y&R. I too feel it's deserved because it has been the most consistent keeping vets, the last few years has been torturous but it is making huge strides in a short time returning to what Y&R does best and getting better.

I'm with Stoney because it's typical the naysayers just want to rant about Y&R regardless...but GH won't overtake Y&R anytime soon because they first have to get past B&B and that would be a chore in itself let alone overtaking Y&R. Sorry, wishful thinking but not happening. OH you noticed Y&R & B&B is on the same network...hmmmm Wink CBS Love

CarlyCfan's picture
14 May 2009

Congrats to my favorite Soap Opera of all time Party . I'm not a fan of the new regime, but i'm still hoping for the best.

GHteenybopper's picture
29 March 2010

Avery looks like the girl who played Britney Hodges way back when, when Raul,Billy and Mac were running the teen set in that photo.

GHteenybopper wrote:

I am considering sending you and extra pair of glasses I happen to have, perhaps you would then see less of Britney looking like Avery or vice versa.

TraceyAbbot101's picture
4 March 2012

ok, why is Avery's last name "Clark" and not "Sumners" like Phyllis'?

And I actually enjoy Big Red these days!

I just hope we are not in for a round of "Phyllis/Kyle".... she isn't at the COUGAR point yet.

pferrando's picture
28 June 2012
2 days 55 min

I just saw the official CBS post of this milestone on Facebook. It's interesting to see/read the posts on there. Almost all love from the 1,000 comments so far. Most don't mention anything about the behind the scenes stuff you get on here. For the fans, check it out.

Marcelle's picture
23 November 2010

stoney07 wrote:
GH will NEVER get that spot again.

They're very close to getting it in the only metric that matters, the demo rating. While 18-49 is the end all, be all, 18-34 is even better, and GH is far out ahead there, and not too far behind in 18-49.

27 January 2010

wow Patch&Kayla wedding was 24 years ago

ChrisGa's picture
9 September 2009

TraceyAbbot101 wrote:
This show, under the new regime, is getting better and better!

Nick needs to keep his clothes on.

It was an excellent episode(well, with the exception of Sharon going cuckoo over spilling her drink everywhere). As far as Nick goes, he can walk around in a towel in every episode he's in and I'd be plenty satisfied. The less clothes on him the better, I say.

Grimm's picture
14 March 2009

GHteenybopper wrote:

Avery/Jessica Collins reminds me more of the 2nd Sharon/Heidi Mark

I just watched the episode online and Thursday's episode was awesome! This party will be front & center until Monday...loved the dialogue Love Gotta love those spoiled Newman children in Victoria & Nick. V&N's offspring are those two children who are spoiled rotten...it was great when Nick answered Adam about having a civil conversation..."NO". This is going to be a fun party and I'm going to enjoy the ride. Adam front & center seething the golden children, Summmer & Chelsea...Chelsea, Avery & Carmine are the outsiders seeing up close at the Newman dysfunction. Excellent! It's one of those soap get together, not all explosive one but one to drive the story to next level with Sharon out now facing the Newmans. Done with lots of humor and witty dialogue. Wink Love

Brando's picture
30 November 2012

hey mon wrote:
Josh G, just as he did in 2007, is putting me to sleep (or is it the gin?).

LOL...I agree 100%...so far NOT liking Josh's writing once AGAIN and Phelps as EP, hated her as EP of GH (when she left the show had a huge creative surge and is now the best soap on the air hands down, thanks to Valentini and Carlivati)...last time Josh wrote I stopped watching Y&R due to BOREDOM and didnt start again until MAB came on board, and I gotta say, I liked her writing better, I mean not ALL of it, but I will say I WAS NEVER EVER BORED AND NEVER FAST FORWARDED ANY SCENES...that being said I can see GH taking the #1 spot by February Sweeps. Mark. My. Words.
Y&R's Grade for the week : D

PS - I hate the fact that they did not rebuild the Newman house ON the Newman Ranch and put them in a Penthouse...this has Phelps written ALL over it...meh.

23 May 2012

I am seeing an improvement in Y&R. It's become more character-oriented and better dialogue. Loved the swipe remarks between Victor and Adam (who I can see already is one of JFP's favorites. She loved the dark characters on GH).
Victoria looked beautiful in that dress. Like her new shorter hairstyle (probably Phelps made her cut it). Nicki as always looked great. Still not sure about Avery and Nick. When she mentioned his dimples, again, I saw Phelps, who always brought up Maurice Bernard, Sonny on GH's dimples. Still find Summer and the teens boring. Rather watch the vets.

hey mon's picture
19 May 2011

Phyllis and Avery revealed that Avery was the name of her ex- or dead husband. Hopefully, it is Matt Clark, Nick's arch-foe! That would get my attention in a paid-up hurry.

stoney07's picture
18 August 2009

Umm...Y&R is ahead of the others by millions....not even all the GH propping could make it number 1. Sorry

pferrando's picture
28 June 2012
2 days 55 min

Go Stoney... Wink

GHteenybopper's picture
29 March 2010

yojoromo4469 wrote:
GHteenybopper wrote:

I said she looked like someone in THIS particular photo, I watch the show once in a blue moon and know they don't have any resemblance. I stated my opinion and never asked for your snarky comment regarding what I said. Take whatever object you have up your rear, and relax. I have perfect vision and I don't need any extra pair of glasses that you have, keep them in case you lose the pair you're currently using.

hey mon's picture
19 May 2011

With Josh G in charge, the Show will only be on for another 24 months. BORING!!

bruceyboy's picture
4 October 2012

I agree with HEYMON ... the show is boring ... boring ... boring ... and in many ways actually worse than when MAB was writing the stuff .... I don't know why folks keep watching it ....