Roger Howarth and Kristen Alderson Set to Exit General Hospital by Feb. 8!

As expected, Roger Howarth (Todd) and Kristen Alderson (Starr) will be joining fellow One Life to Live transplant Michael Easton (McBain) in exiting General Hospital by the end of next week. Since GH tapes several weeks in advance, the trio will continue to be seen on air for the duration of the month of February and possibly into early March.

These departures are the result of the ongoing legal battle between Disney-ABC and OLTL licensee Prospect Park. Prospect Park plans to begin airing new episodes of OLTL and All My Children online this spring. The production company is said to want the three characters—which they licensed to Disney-ABC for use on GH until such time as they were able to put OLTL in production again— back.

Word is, Disney-ABC and Prospect Park have reached an impasse in attempting to work out a deal which would allow Howarth, Alderson and Easton to reprise their roles on OLTL, while eventually returning to GH.

"At this point, no one knows if the characters will ever be going back to GH," says a source.

As previously reported, actors Howarth, Alderson and Easton remain under contract with ABC and reside in Los Angeles. Prospect Park's reboot of OLTL will be taped in Connecticut.

Comments

20 August 2011

This is very unfair to the actors. Does PP think forcing them out of their jobs will make them move to Connecticut to do the reboot? PP didnt even have financing until recently no one knows how much they got and how long it lasts.

CarlyCfan's picture
14 May 2009

I'm know i'm in the minority, but i'm not too sad about it...

SavePortChuck's picture
14 April 2011

This is really unfair to the actors. Prospect Park was the one to drop the ball in the beginning. Was everyone just expected to sit around and do nothing while they got their act together? They should just let these characters stay on GH at this point. It's enough to make me cancel all plans on purchasing the reboots when they start.

Soap_Stud's picture
28 November 2008

I have always said any soap role can be recast, but how many recasts can fans tolerate or be okay with? #OLTL #AMC are doing so many..and it sounds like Todd, Starr, & McBain will also be recast.

Forever21's picture
22 April 2011

Here is what I have heard about PP from someone who knows someone..... As of last week at least one of the actors who signed on is unsure its happening. AMC is scheduled to tape first before OLTL in March.

17 May 2012

This sucks! I want them on GH.

5 October 2012

This is SUCH a bummer. As someone who started watching GH in 2012, Todd absolutely makes the show for me. The days he is not on are still good but just not as great. I will keep watching but this is a huge loss.

16 May 2012

The only people at fault for this are FV and RC!!! They are the only ones that should get blame,PP has a legal right to these characters and always did, they did NOT drop the ball they lost financing and were actively looking to get it back everyone including FV and RC knew this. But they pathetically could not let OLTL go so instead of doing right by GH and these three actors and bringing them on as new characters they brought them on as characters that PP had the legal right to use. So now GH will have dropped stories and be in a mess again over these crossovers and the actors out of a job because of FV and RC's egos!!!

All of this mess would have been avoided if these three actors were new characters.

shirls429's picture
13 April 2010

Sad( This really sucks and really unfair to the actors and fans of GH. We really love them and hope that they return.Sad

js3557's picture
28 September 2009

I agree with "really". They should not have tried to revive OLTL on GH. They should have had these three actors play new characters. The only one I will be sad to see go is Todd. He cracks me up every time he is on.

btw...I have always dvr'd GH and DOOL because I work full-time. I started to dvr Y&R because of Burton. I use to watch GH first, then DOOL (if I had time) every night. Now I watch Y&R first. Sometimes I even watch DOOL over GH now. I really like the actors and stories on Y&R. The only thing I don't like is some of their sets. They seem really old and dark. The guy that plays Adam is amazing. He is good looking and is a really good actor. I also really like Jack and Billy Abbott. I don't care much for Victor because I think the actor is lazy with his emoting and speech.

thecourt99's picture
30 April 2009

What am I missing here? Why are the actors being forced to leave? Is PP forcing them (they have no legal authority over the actors, just the characters)....or is ABC forcing them?

soapbaby's picture
7 April 2011

I will miss Todd & McBain but if there leaving means I will not have to suffer through Starr Manning/Kristen Alderson ever again, I'm okay.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

really wrote:

If they had gone to GH as new characters, I would not have returned to GH. I was interested specifically because they are playing their OLTL characters.

CTwildheart's picture
6 June 2011

Stare

7 January 2013

I am really disappointed. Never watched OLTL on TV until the very end of its run on ABC only because I knew some of the characters would be on GH and wanted to get acquainted. However, I really like the transplants and think they fit well into the stories. Better than some random new people showing up. It wouldn't be too lucrative for Chad Duell, Brandon Barash, Laura Wright, or Kelly Monaco but perhaps out of goodwill, they could cross over to the online OLTL briefly to make it make sense that suddenly Todd, Starr, and John go back to Llanview for a while. I personally hate even watching any TV show online and am so used to my DVR so don't think I can ever get into a web-only series of any kind. Here's hoping this can all be figured out very soon.

CTwildheart's picture
6 June 2011

SavePortChuck wrote:

You don't have to purchase the reboots, they will be shown with some commercials on regular HULU and also on the Online Network that PP is starting.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

They won't be on The Online Network. The Hollywood Reporter got that wrong, and other websites picked that up mistake and spread it around.

They will be available on Hulu (free with commercials), Hulu Plus (subscription) and iTunes (for a fee).

CTwildheart's picture
6 June 2011

really wrote:

You can't blame Frank and Ron when Prospect Park "licensed (those three characters) to Disney-ABC for use on GH until such time as they were able to put OLTL in production again" PP could have said no.

stefanstavros's picture
26 September 2010

I'm still holding out hope that an agreement can be worked out so the characters can, indeed, return to GH. I believe it will happen. And I do think they have become a fine addition to the GH canvas.

18 January 2013

People this is completely a publicity scam. Prospect Park would not want to pay these actors what they are paid in their Disney contracts. They save more money by NOT using them. This whole thing is a just a scam to create buzz and draw attention by some lame PR people.
They will return to GH just fine, there's no way their not going to. This whole thing is just to get people talking and draw attention to OLTL.

Ryan-Scott's picture
4 May 2009
1 day 1 hour

This is bullshit.

CTwildheart's picture
6 June 2011

TV Gord wrote:

According to the press release from Prospect Park: "We are pleased to confirm that Prospect Park is reviving the beloved soap operas, All My Children and One Life To Live as the anchor programs on The Online Network (TOLN)."

15 July 2009

I see it as this: PP will ask the actors to reprise their roles for the reboot and to get storylines resolved and such. If the actors say no, then they say no which will force PP to recast. Once the recasts get on screen and either fans complain about the recsats or the storylines finish (whichever comes first), PP will release the characters back to GH and the three actors will be able to resume their role.

I have a feeling that after about a month or so of OLTL airing, KA, RH and ME will be back to in Port Charles.

CTwildheart's picture
6 June 2011

thecourt99 wrote:

Prospect Park can force them off of GH right now because PP still has the rights to those characters since they are putting OLTL back into production. So while the characters must go, the actors could stay at GH as new characters.

11 April 2009

This is sad. The actors don't want to move to CT. California is now their home. Since they have a contract w/ ABC, they'll be paid through a 13-week cycle. After which, ABC will have to let them go.

I hope ABC is able to keep Easton in his role as Caleb Morley. He could at least reunite with his son Rafe.

11 April 2009

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

CTwildheart wrote:

This does not appear anywhere in the news release they issued on January 25th, so I don't know where you're getting that. Here's the official news release from beginning to end (and you'll notice even the headline makes no mention of it being streaming on The Online Network):

“All My Children” and “One Life To Live”

Set to Premiere Digitally on Hulu, Hulu Plus and iTunes

Prospect Park Announces Landmark Digital Distribution Agreement to Bring First-Run, Broadcast-Quality Episodes of Wildly Popular Shows Directly to Fans on Demand

Company also Closes Financing with ABRY Partners

Los Angeles, CA and New York, NY – January 25, 2013 – In a groundbreaking move that brings premium first-run, broadcast-quality programming to a mass-market audience via the internet, Prospect Park’s The Online Network (TOLN) announced today that the Company has reached an agreement with Hulu and the iTunes Store to distribute all-new episodes of “All My Children” and “One Life To Live.” Through the Hulu distribution agreement, the hugely popular daily dramas will reach tens of millions of fans via the free Hulu.com service, as well as millions of Hulu Plus subscribers watching on connected TVs, mobile phones, tablets and PCs. iTunes customers can enjoy viewing on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV and their Mac or PC. The announcement was made today by Prospect Park Chairman and CEO, Jeff Kwatinetz.

“I believe that both Hulu and iTunes have the vision, the reach and the technology to help us launch TOLN in a significant way,” Kwatinetz said. “We think these platforms are part of history, helping us to transform distribution. Hulu’s reach, platform and advertising prowess are best in class, and iTunes provides an incredible way to buy TV shows that is second to none. Through both of these partners, we hope daytime drama fans are absolutely delighted to be able to watch their favorite programs in a broadcast-quality HD format wherever and whenever they want.”

Separately, Prospect Park has closed its financing with ABRY Partners, one of the most experienced and successful media-focused private equity investment firms in North America. Since 1989, ABRY has completed over $36 billion in leveraged transactions and other private equity investments involving approximately 450 properties.

Brent Stone, a partner at ABRY Partners, stated, “We are excited to be partnering with Jeff Kwatinetz and the rest of the team at Prospect Park, and we strongly believe that they will continue to be a leader in their innovative approach to content creation.”

Kwatinetz continued, “We are privileged to the have the backing and partnership with Brent and his team at ABRY, who are proven, brilliant investors, and will help us reach our ultimate goals.”

Starting this spring, viewers can stream the beloved serial dramas “All My Children” and “One Life To Live” on the free Hulu.com service and the Hulu Plus subscription service. New 30-minute episodes of “All My Children” and “One Life To Live” will be introduced each weekday. This innovative content deal will re-introduce these venerable daytime hits in a new format perfect for the viewing habits of the digital generation. Prospect Park and TOLN plan to blend new themes, fresh stars and youthful energy with the familiar actors and writers who made these shows must-watch afternoon viewing for legions of loyal fans.

The agreement with Hulu also allows brands and marketers to connect with a highly desirable and engaged audience. Hulu will manage the advertising sales for both shows, and package integrated sponsorship opportunities. TOLN will also offer ecommerce and other digital marketing programs to brands and entities looking to tap into Hulu’s mass market demographic. Additionally, Hulu will promote both series across its subscription and free-to-view platforms.

Under the leadership of Kwatinetz and Rich Frank, Prospect Park in 2011 forged a multi-year, multi-platform licensing agreement with Disney/ABC Domestic Television Group to continue production of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live.” Prospect Park has also entered into a consulting agreement with Agnes Nixon, the creator of both series, guaranteeing her active involvement in their continued production. “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” ended their runs on ABC Television in September, 2011 and January, 2012, respectively.

Earlier in this month, Prospect Park announced guild agreements with Hollywood’s major labor groups, the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, and the Directors Guild of America. The company also finalized a deal with the Writer’s Guild of America.

About Prospect Park

Prospect Park is a media and production company founded in 2009 by entertainment industry veterans Jeffrey Kwatinetz and former Disney Studios head Rich Frank. Along with successful film and music divisions, the company’s television group has numerous shows in development and breakout network hits airing including “Royal Pains” and “Wilfred.”

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

Also, Matt Webb Mitovich at TV Line specifically asked. Here are the pertinent posts from its message board:

Wasn’t the original plan to air them for free on some new website they’re creating called “The Online Network”? Guess that fell through.
Comment by dude – January 25, 2013 12:22 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

They are still showing it on the online network
Comment by Joe – January 25, 2013 12:48 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

Not true. I asked.
Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 25, 2013 01:14 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

Thanks Matt
Comment by Joe – January 25, 2013 01:15 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

14 June 2011

I have come to accept the OLTL characters on GH partially for the fact that all three opened up new story avenues for characters already on canvas with GH. From a business/practical perspective, all three were "proven commodities" that have brought, I believe, other eyes in to watch GH where previously they might not have bothered. I didn't think I'd say this but I am hoping they return and that some sort of sharing agreement can be reached between ABC/D and PP... Innocent

CTwildheart's picture
6 June 2011

TV Gord wrote:
CTwildheart wrote:

“All My Children” and “One Life To Live”

Set to Premiere Digitally on Hulu, Hulu Plus and iTunes

Company also Closes Financing with ABRY Partners

About Prospect Park

I got it from the PROSPECT PARK original announcement the first week of January 2013:
The full press release from Prospect Park follows:

"We are pleased to confirm that Prospect Park is reviving the beloved soap operas, All My Children and One Life To Live as the anchor programs on The Online Network (TOLN). Today we are also pleased to confirm that Prospect Park has: 1) signed guild agreements with both SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) and the DGA (Directors Guild of America); 2) entered into a consulting agreement with Agnes Nixon the creator of All My Children and One Life to Live guaranteeing her active involvement; 3) hired Foz McDermott (coordinating producer Heroes) as TOLN's head of production, Jennifer Pepperman (Director, One Life to Live) as Executive Producer on One Life to Live, and Ginger Smith (Producer, All My Children) as Executive Producer on All My Children; and 4) arranged the necessary financing to begin production in February on both All My Children and One Life To Live.

We thank the loyal audience and new generation of fans of both shows who have demonstrated that passion and exciting story lines are not just reserved for traditional television. Their enduring support encouraged us to move forward each and every day. We look forward to sharing more details including our launch air date and additional specifics in the coming weeks.

Please encourage fans to visit http://www.theonlinenetwork.com/ to subscribe to updates.

Jeff Kwatinetz and Rich Frank"