Roger Howarth and Kristen Alderson Set to Exit General Hospital by Feb. 8!



 




As expected, Roger Howarth (Todd) and Kristen Alderson (Starr) will be joining fellow One Life to Live transplant Michael Easton (McBain) in exiting General Hospital by the end of next week. Since GH tapes several weeks in advance, the trio will continue to be seen on air for the duration of the month of February and possibly into early March.

These departures are the result of the ongoing legal battle between Disney-ABC and OLTL licensee Prospect Park. Prospect Park plans to begin airing new episodes of OLTL and All My Children online this spring. The production company is said to want the three characters—which they licensed to Disney-ABC for use on GH until such time as they were able to put OLTL in production again— back.

Word is, Disney-ABC and Prospect Park have reached an impasse in attempting to work out a deal which would allow Howarth, Alderson and Easton to reprise their roles on OLTL, while eventually returning to GH.

"At this point, no one knows if the characters will ever be going back to GH," says a source.

As previously reported, actors Howarth, Alderson and Easton remain under contract with ABC and reside in Los Angeles. Prospect Park's reboot of OLTL will be taped in Connecticut.


Comments

Member since:
16 May 2012
Last activity:
3 days 20 hours

CTwildheart wrote:
really wrote:
The only people at fault for this are FV and RC!!! They are the only ones that should get blame,PP has a legal right to these characters and always did, they did NOT drop the ball they lost financing and were actively looking to get it back everyone including FV and RC knew this. But they pathetically could not let OLTL go so instead of doing right by GH and these three actors and bringing them on as new characters they brought them on as characters that PP had the legal right to use. So now GH will have dropped stories and be in a mess again over these crossovers and the actors out of a job because of FV and RC's egos!!!

All of this mess would have been avoided if these three actors were new characters.

You can't blame Frank and Ron when Prospect Park "licensed (those three characters) to Disney-ABC for use on GH until such time as they were able to put OLTL in production again" PP could have said no.

Actually you can, pp let abc use the characters but they did not sell them back and expressed interest in getting the financing and these shows back up, which is why they made sure they still owned the characters. Now because FV just didn't bring these actors on as new characters, he and RC have screwed the actors and fans of the stories they are involved in.

Not to mention the crossover did not help the ratings in fact they hurt them, so for every fan they brought they cost GH a loyal long time GH viewer. It was the 80s characters and the time change when the ratings went up prior to that RC was in the same ratings boat as Guza and GW. Something tells me with no other soap OLTL viewers would have rolled their actors and GH fans wouldn't have been angry and left for months.

Now people are into mcBam or Tarly and they are trashed and in the end you know who is going to get really screwed, Liz fans!!! Because in a few weeks Sam and Carly are without love interests, do you really think they won't screw over Liz to make sure their pets Carly and Sam get a guy? Please.

New characters and none of this would have happened and they knew it. So sorry I only hold FV and RC responsible .

rapid_roman61's picture
Member since:
15 April 2011
Last activity:
22 weeks 6 days

Create new GH characters for Howarth and Easton. Buh bye Star and KA. Case closed.

Member since:
4 August 2011
Last activity:
43 weeks 5 days

I don't know where this blaming the head writer and the producer gets anyone anywhere. If Roger Howarth, Kristen Alderson and Michael Easton came on to General Hospital as new characters, it would be very hard for fans to make the adjustment. By bringing a piece of OLTL over to GH, these characters were given new life and I've enjoyed seeing them interact with the GH characters. ABC did crossovers for years, between AMC, OLTL and GH. This was no different. If anything Prospect Park should be thanking these two (who obviously had the blessing of the network) for keeping OLTL alive while they stumbled in their attempts to bring OLTL to the web. Now that it may finally be happening (and I, for one, will believe it when I see it), they have kept people's interest alive for the fictional town of Llanview.

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
13 hours 50 min

ABC lisenced OLTL to PP . They had ask PP to use Starr Todd John. PP said yes but ABC & GH always knew that if PP got OLTL up and running then PP could legally take those characters back to OLTL. PP is in the right here.

Member since:
15 August 2009
Last activity:
2 weeks 2 days

They might still return as new characters.
I imagine ABCDisney is twisting their arms sweetly to get them to do this
and improve OLTL 2.0 's chances of success. I bet they are at least somewhat happy
to support the new project and their cast members & crew get it off the ground.

They've (and RC+ FV) been successful at integrating their characters into the fabric of GH - who knows, maybe they'll be up for Emmys for both shows and have to compete against themselves!?

Member since:
31 January 2013
Last activity:
6 weeks 6 days

This is a major lose-lose. OLTL fans don't want to see other actors in those roles, and it would be way past silly to have them now all play different roles on GH. I think GH should let them all go, and if they choose to go back to OLTL via PP, then fine. ABC should work with PP to release the characters back to them, and if they won't, GH will go on just fine without the 3 of them.

rlshel1015's picture
Member since:
6 May 2010
Last activity:
3 weeks 1 day

i think that in the end Disney/ABC will show enough muscle to get these characters back on GH. let's face it PP wants Disney in their corner when all is said and done. i also agree with the previous comments - bringing the characters over from OLTL has kept Llanview alive in many fans minds and this can only help PP with their reboot and there should be some gratitude there. bringing ME, RH and KA over to GH as anyone else would have been a mistake so soon after the loss of OLTL. i was a bigger fan of OLTL than GH about this time a year and a half ago and the addition of these characters helped me begin to want to watch it everyday. the show is funny and lighter again and there is more speading out of the stories other than it being the Sonny/Jason/Dante hour (sorry Steve Burton - i don't miss you). i don't blame FV or RC for this at all - they did the best they could and did a good job doing it. GH is up in ratings because of them - PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!

rlshel1015's picture
Member since:
6 May 2010
Last activity:
3 weeks 1 day

also - while i don't think that they should come back as all new characters - if anyone could pull it off in the end it would be RC and FV.

J Bernard Jones's picture
Member since:
9 September 2008
Last activity:
11 hours 23 min

Well.....the ghosts of Jessie Brewer, Bert Ramsey and Crane Toliver always can jump into Starr, John and Todd's bodies.

Yoryla's picture
Member since:
26 May 2012
Last activity:
13 hours 41 min

I feel really bad for the three actors, who had been hired for a steady job at a network show. They should not have to pay for PP's mistakes and delays. After the first attempt went south, I was sure PP would never try again. But, since they do own the rights to the characters, they cannot be blamed.

However, these three are not key characters on GH. The show has survived and will survive without them.

The people I most feel sorry for is Kelly Monaco and Ron Carlivati because this not only blows the future storyline plans for McBam to smithereens, but this leaves KeMo without her leading man for the second time in a six month period! They had so much invested in McBain/Sam/Jason/Liz, and now that was all blown to pieces. Don't get me wrong, I am over the moon that Jason left.

Yoryla's picture
Member since:
26 May 2012
Last activity:
13 hours 41 min

Lol @ someone twisting and turning this to somehow be about Liz! I get that she is a popular character but I'm sorry, at this point this has absolutely nothing to do with her.

Nor is any of this FV/RC's fault. They wanted the actors and the characters, proposed the idea, succeeded, and voila. We had Todd Manning, Starr Manning and John McBain on GH. PP gave their permission, their license. Very simple, no shenanigans. FV/RC certainly don't owe any sort of apologizies to any direction.

It is lunacy to think that they would have just hired three former OLTL actors to just play some roles, likely newbie ones. That was never the point of bringing the three on.

People should really stop making up stories that simply don't exist, and be happy with whatever they are given - especially in this soap reviving climate that we are fortunate to be living in.

TV Gord's picture
Member since:
18 February 2009
Last activity:
43 min 54 sec

I agree, Yoryla. Everything you say is true, but it will take some time to say for sure whether GH will survive without them. I know, I know everyone has their own opinions about how many viewers the OLTL characters brought to GH, but I am one of those viewers. If Todd, Starr and John go so do I. Now, I'm not a Neilsen family, so I won't personally have any effect on the ratings, but I wonder how many others feel the way I do.

When AMC and OLTL were cancelled, GH's ratings were very iffy. Everyone was in a panic that GH would be next. Now, Ron brought a lot of vets back, so that had an effect, too, but I don't think it's wise to dismiss those of us who crossed over specifically for the Llanview transpLlants. I hope our departure won't cause a blip on the ratings, but none of us know for sure whether it would.

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
13 hours 50 min

Although im uneasy about this #PP #ABC #OLTL #GH mess with Starr, John & Starr, I am still supporting the continuations of #OLTL & #AMC. I want the whole genre to succeed & grow, I also want AMC & OLTL to be a success not just for its loyal fans but also for their casts & crews.

Member since:
2 December 2010
Last activity:
24 min 4 sec

Hmm, hopefully PP and ABCD can work something out with the actors and schedule's so they can do both shows. It does seem crazy for OLTL to start back and not finish the Tale of Two Todd's saga. And McBain has unfinished business with Natalie.

Daniel St. John's picture
Member since:
7 July 2009
Last activity:
3 days 12 hours

really wrote:
CTwildheart wrote:
really wrote:
The only people at fault for this are FV and RC!!! They are the only ones that should get blame,PP has a legal right to these characters and always did, they did NOT drop the ball they lost financing and were actively looking to get it back everyone including FV and RC knew this. But they pathetically could not let OLTL go so instead of doing right by GH and these three actors and bringing them on as new characters they brought them on as characters that PP had the legal right to use. So now GH will have dropped stories and be in a mess again over these crossovers and the actors out of a job because of FV and RC's egos!!!
All of this mess would have been avoided if these three actors were new characters.

You can't blame Frank and Ron when Prospect Park "licensed (those three characters) to Disney-ABC for use on GH until such time as they were able to put OLTL in production again" PP could have said no.

Actually you can, pp let abc use the characters but they did not sell them back and expressed interest in getting the financing and these shows back up, which is why they made sure they still owned the characters. Now because FV just didn't bring these actors on as new characters, he and RC have screwed the actors and fans of the stories they are involved in.
Not to mention the crossover did not help the ratings in fact they hurt them, so for every fan they brought they cost GH a loyal long time GH viewer. It was the 80s characters and the time change when the ratings went up prior to that RC was in the same ratings boat as Guza and GW. Something tells me with no other soap OLTL viewers would have rolled their actors and GH fans wouldn't have been angry and left for months.
Now people are into mcBam or Tarly and they are trashed and in the end you know who is going to get really screwed, Liz fans!!! Because in a few weeks Sam and Carly are without love interests, do you really think they won't screw over Liz to make sure their pets Carly and Sam get a guy? Please.
New characters and none of this would have happened and they knew it. So sorry I only hold FV and RC responsible .

Lord save me from rabid Liz fans and Ron/Frank haters who seem to completely overlook the steaming pile of crap GH had become over the last few years to constantly whine about how GH vets aren't getting enough airtime because of 3 OLTL characters when this show used to treat its vets like leftover garbage in favor of the Mob-centric characters anyway. And at the same time also seem to gloss over that Liz had been relegated to a baby factory and very little else. Sure, I am not a fan of her being backburnered for the past few months but at least she isn't sleeping with brothers and not knowing who knocked her up.

liason4real's picture
Member since:
10 May 2008
Last activity:
6 hours 30 min

Liz IS everything! Seriously. Smile

RC/FV could bring on Jax, Jagger, Valentine Cassadine, Tom Hardy Jr., Dr. Jeff Webber, Nicholas, Ric Lansing, Lucas Jones, etc...

liason4real's picture
Member since:
10 May 2008
Last activity:
6 hours 30 min

Sure, I am not a fan of her being backburnered for the past few months but at least she isn't sleeping with brothers and not knowing who knocked her up.
================
I miss Liz/RH not being in her own story, but no more freaking WTD crap or that stuff with Nik that made me lose my lunch.

Member since:
16 May 2012
Last activity:
3 days 20 hours

For the record not a Liz fan haven't been since Wendy Richest left the building, well I love liric, nor am I a RC FV hater but this Pp is evil is crap and I'm going to call it out! They are the only reason OLTL fans have their precious show back, the current situation is because of a bad business decision by FV, that is all there is to it. And while I hate everything Guza did to GH without riche, honestly haven't felt a real connection or love for the show since she left and I hate sonny (especially under RC) and Carly and their endless propping by Guza, I'm not going to pretend that RC doesn't have pets to because he so obviously does and Carly, Sam and Connie are his female pets. Now lets be honest he won't let one of his pets, especially Carly who is propped more now then under Guza, be without a man so she'll get AJ Liz be damned! Now since I'm only a fan of an in this situation that sucks for me because he deserves better then the whore who stole his child and ruined his life, plus I was enjoying Tarly RH made me tolerate god awful LW so I'm not thrilled to loose the actor! I also like mcBam so again not thrilled about him leaving, I liked the couples and they are ruined because of a short sited business decision of FV. I will fully admit to being thrilled at the prospect of ka being gone that girl can't act and just grates so this I admit has me happy.

Sorry I don't hate nor do I blindly worship like some FV or RC but when they make a bad choice I will call the actual wrong person out. Don't assume things, I think the reaction to the cancellation has been embarrassing honestly and the treatment of PP for trying to give you back your show by some fans is appalling. At the end of the day this is business and that is all no I e is out to get soap fans.

Member since:
26 July 2011
Last activity:
9 hours 3 min

Jamey said it on the podcast that if they could use the former OLTL talents and promote the new OLTL and maybe they could do crossovers on both shows, promotions, and online adversting it could be a win-win for both shows. Even for the characters Skye Chandler she could do a crossover on all three shows.

You would also think ABC could even promote AMC & OLTL during The View, The Chew and GH. I mean there alot of ideas that could help both shows out in the long run-

CTwildheart's picture
Member since:
6 June 2011
Last activity:
12 weeks 1 day

TV Gord wrote:
Also, Matt Webb Mitovich at TV Line specifically asked. Here are the pertinent posts from its message board:

Wasn’t the original plan to air them for free on some new website they’re creating called “The Online Network”? Guess that fell through.
Comment by dude – January 25, 2013 12:22 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

They are still showing it on the online network
Comment by Joe – January 25, 2013 12:48 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

Not true. I asked.
Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 25, 2013 01:14 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

Thanks Matt
Comment by Joe – January 25, 2013 01:15 PM PST REPLY TO THIS POST

TV Gord...I was unable to post again until now! I got my information from PP's ORIGINAL statement the first week in January. And just yesterday in a TIME magazine article they said, "This time it was for real. Starting this spring, new episodes will be available via iTunes, Hulu and Prospect Park’s website The OnLine Network."