BREAKING NEWS: Michael Easton, Kristen Alderson AND Roger Howarth to Play NEW Characters on General Hospital!

Three familiar faces are heading back to General Hospital. However, they reportedly won't be playing the same characters they portrayed the last time you saw them! TV Guide Magazine's Michael Logan is reporting Michael Easton, Kristen Alderson and Roger Howarth will all be playing new characters when they return to General Hospital!

While Howarth was initially set to reprise the role of Todd Manning on GH—after briefly returning to One Life to Live for that sudser's relaunch—the brass at GH has reportedly opted to sever ties with Prospect Park, by creating an all-new role for him. Easton and Alderson, who didn't make deals to reprise John and Starr on the new OLTL, will also play new characters on GH

From the article:

"Prospect Park has been extremely difficult to deal with on this issue so GH basically said, 'Screw it! We'll create all new characters!'" notes one source privy to the situation. "It's the only way GH can get past the problem and get on with business."

Comments

1 February 2010

nysam wrote:
JBernardJones do you get paid weekly or every other week by ABC?

If they do pay him, then bravo ABC because you definitely have an asset in JBJ.

At this point, there no reason to play the blame game. What's done is done. I'm actually hesitant about bringing all three back as new characters. One could be manageable but all three... I hope they do go in the direction as someone in an earlier post pointed out, of bringing them back as already established GH characters.

2 April 2009

It seems to me that ABC really wanted to keep Roger, Kristen and Michael around GH not so much the characters of Todd, Starr and John.

Now OLTL can recast if they want to.

IMO it will be harder to bring back Roger, Kristen and Michael as new characters than it will be to recast the characters they played on OLTL even the character of Todd.

tealita's picture
20 March 2011

IOWAHAWKEYE wrote:
OMG i love you nysam! All my faves soapbaby, yorla, tealita, swanqueen, all of you dead-on correct in your astute observations, and funny as ever! Smile I really can't add anything to these brilliant posts, tho i don't think i've seen tealita today? Sad

I tried to peak this thread earlier, but I got sidetracked. Regardless of whether I am really OK with this (it's Starr that I don't want), I think I just want to move on. If I don't, I'll keep the same tunnel vision I have now.

I love ME, so I'm thrilled to have him back in any capacity. I was fine with RH most of the time, but in the last month his silliness got under my skin. Maybe Carlivati can fix that when RH returns.

In a post earlier, Liason mentioned the vets who might have benefited by some of the GH3's contract money being made available to them. I won't brood about that. Most of the vets visits would be short term no matter what. I am still concerned about GH's regular contract players who might be on the bubble such as JT, DZ, and BA. I want them to stay. But again, why react to something before it happens?

Edited.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

I don't see why OLTL can't bring back Trevor St John as Victor and then Roger Howarth can go back to GH as Todd. Then BOTH shows will have their "Todd"-like character.

2 April 2009

I would absolutely LOVE if Trevor returned to OLTL but I who knows if he wants to Sad

brettyboy's picture
28 July 2012

nysam wrote:
If Todd, Starr & John were so valuable to ABC in the first place then why didn't they keep OLTL? They could have kept them right where they belonged on OLTL on ABC. By canceling the show they basically acknowledged the show and its characters weren't of value to the them. How many stories did we read about ABC wanting out of the soap business? Even on this website. Now we are supposed to rally around ABC and act like they are the victim?

I don't think the actors owe Prospect Park a damn thing, however I do agree that ABC are not the victims here by any stretch of the imagination and I still think GH is far from safe.

7 February 2010

this is terrible all round. it will wreak havoc with GH's direction (though we might finally see RH without the scar) to have to integrate three characters we know nothing about into the plot (unless they use them as recasts for old characters - but, seriously, are there any characters from the past that we really need? they've all come back anyway!). if they come back as similar characters, the fans would immediately smell the carbon copy (in fact, some "fans" will cry "carbon copy" even if they aren't); and as to the OLTL re-boot, how can they recast two beloved characters (starr's main function is to be todd's conscience, so i'm not counting her), one of which middle-aged women swoon over and with the other being so heavily characterised they'd either have to get an impersonator, which the OLTL fans wouldn't accept and wouldn't work in the long run anyway, or someone who's so different that it might as well be another character altogether (and as to casting trevor st. john (provided he would do it, which by all accounts he doesn't want to) - wouldn't the audience then have to buy that he's not victor anymore, but todd again?

it's a mess, and nobody wins

soapbaby's picture
7 April 2011

IOWAHAWKEYE wrote:
@soapbaby -- i can swallow your love of RH much easier knowing you prefer TSj as Victor -- a no-brainer imo! Smile

I LOVE Trevor St. John! I thought he was woefully underrated. The OLTL episode in which Todd was executed for the murder of Margaret Cochran is one of my all time favorite moments in soaps. TSJ did "Judith Light as Karen Wolek On The Witness Stand-level" acting in that episode.

7 February 2010

it's a mess, and there are only losers here.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

That's true, Katiebug, but I think they put Roger's name in among the list of contract players returning to OLTL so they could switch him out for TSJ, because it's pretty widely reported that RH is going back to GH. I think TSJ is going to be the first big reveal on the new OLTL.

There is a chance TSJ doesn't want to do the lower-paying internet soaps, which is why none of the three actors in question want to go back there, either, I believe.

soapbaby's picture
7 April 2011

IOWAHAWKEYE wrote:
Besides having KA back onscreen again...the other obvious downside is HOW MUCH SCREEN TIME will be devoted to this. They already took too much time (imo) with their exits! Before you know it, this crap will eat up 6 months of time better spent on something else!

^^ This is my concern too IOWAHAWKEYE.

Thank you for the shout-out in your post #134. I always enjoy reading your thoughtful and good-natured posts.

IOWAHAWKEYE's picture

@TVGord -- TSJ = Filet Mignon. RH= Hamburger. Can we do a reversal of your proposal? Smile

You only get one guess who i'd rather see in the buff every day Wink TSJ was like Brando to me, very internal and NO MUGGING to be found. RH, i see the blood vessels bursting each time he tries to cry Tired

Cyberologist's picture
27 December 2007

I still don't get the Carlintini insistance that these three must be on GH I've honestly been enjoying the show without them.

J Bernard Jones's picture
9 September 2008

robertscorpio wrote

If they do pay him, then bravo ABC because you definitely have an asset in JBJ.

I don't know how anyone is interpreting my remarks as defending ABC or that I'm being "paid" by them (I am not, though if someone wants to send me a paycheck, let's negotiate!), but I've been on the record for several years both officially at DC and in my comments on these and other boards as being a fan of Valentini/Carlivati (not a blind one). With this situation, I have said very explicitly that I personally don't "blame" EITHER ABC nor Prospect Park and that what has been reported has been that Prospect Park has been very aggressive, according to some overly so. Even where some folks I have spoken to personally who have had direct dealings with Prospect Park have been very critical, I still have not taken a "side" publicly or even privately.

By whatever logic one derives that I must be on ABC"s payroll because I make a good faith effort to be relatively objective about the ABC/PP situation — my personal opinion is they should have shared the characters on a limited, as needed basis — one must also derive the conclusion that whoever is "blaming" ABC for what's going on must be on Prospect Park's payroll as well. What's good for the goose...

I prefer to see how this plays out on screen before making a judgement about whether or not this is a good or bad idea. As for the behind the scenes shenanigans — once again, as if it were not clear enough the first time I said it — I want the best outcomes for all parties involved, for the sake of the actors, the network, the production company, the writers, producers, directors and the fans.

4 May 2009
1 day 30 min

What do you want to bet they reverse the whole "Two Todds" thing and reveal TSJ really IS Todd and RH has been an imposter.

22 October 2010

Marland Fan, I hope so cause I love TSJ and the imposter todd can go to GH. Love that idea.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

I like RH and TSJ equally. I don't know why there needs to be a choice in the scenario I laid out.

7 February 2010

also, they'd have to get a huge name as a todd recast - and where are they going to get someone big enough to do todd (never mind talented enough) who is also unemployed and won't mind doing an online series for a pittance

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

JBJ, rock on! I can't possibly respond to each of your points, but I haven't read anything from you with which I don't agree. So, rock on... Smile

3 February 2008

I really don't see why this is necessary. KA grew up as Starr. She should play Starr on OLTL. She just doesn't work on GH and I can't picture her as another character. She has NO chemistry with Michael, and with the exception of the guy who played James Ford, hasn't had chemistry with ANY of her leading men (sorry SOLE fans)! Todd and Carly is just a retread of Todd & Blair who are the OLTL end game. I think ME has great chemistry with KeMo, but he's already played 2 characters here. Who's next, Tanner Schofield (his DAYS character)? Besides he and Natalie have some unfinished OLTL business and I REALLY wanted to see Clint and Roxie slap the brooding out of him for doing their Natty wrong! Not to mention a Natalie/Sam catfight.

2 April 2009

I think there are plenty of out of work actors from cancelled soaps that could play Todd.

30 May 2009

Worse idea ever does not even cover this: John, Starr & Todd are leaving Port Charles and coming back as totally new GH characters?

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

Okay, it's "worst idea ever". Not worse.

8 March 2012

This whole thing has been a big mess! Is PP that controlling and intent on having 3 measly characters that they won’t compromise? It sounds like they tried to make another take it or leave it type deal and this time it backfired.

25 March 2013

Seriously?! That is the worst idea evaH! The writng is finally getting good again after so many years. Great that the writers are honoring GH's history with all the returning characters. I am now watching again everyday after years of skipping a lot of episodes every week. But if they do this character switch...I am tuning out again! Horrible & stupid idea! Should have never brought OLTL characters to GH to begin with.

30 May 2009

TV Gord wrote:
Okay, it's "worst idea ever". Not worse.

TV Gord - just trying to save "worst" in case it turns out to be a really, really bad mess. More so then we know now. We know PP wanted to share these characters with GH but have no idea what storylines PP had lined up for them. Nor do we know what GH has planned for them as new characters. I just do not trust either PP or ABC.

13 November 2009

Lordy, Lordy! Please let this be an empty threat. Redux Easton as Caleb or Father Michael or the Man in the Moon, I don't care. He's far more interesting on GH. But let the other two go. RH can't be anyone else in my mind and while I'd be sorry to see him go, its what good for GH. Those producers need to put the best interests of GH above the best interests of their pet actors.

14 June 2011

tealita][quote=IOWAHAWKEYE wrote:

I tried to peak this thread earlier, but I got sidetracked....

Tealita: I attended the DZ/JT gathering in Syracuse, NY on March 9, 2013. Both gentlemen recently signed one year contracts. I am not sure about BA, although I do know that his contract was scheduled to be up this coming May... Innocent

tealita's picture
20 March 2011

Swan--Thank you, Swan. Uncle Vinnie's Comedy club is right up the road from me, but I have yet to go. I'm gonna try to make it to one this year. Smile

1 February 2010

J Bernard Jones wrote:

robertscorpio wrote

If they do pay him, then bravo ABC because you definitely have an asset in JBJ.

@JBJ- That comment was actually in your favor. I actually get the points you are making. My comment about you being an asset to ABC is because you are not trying to paint them as the big bad wolf in this situation as some others are. I don't think you are defending them, I think you are just giving an objective view on this situation.