SHOCKER: Prospect Park SUES ABC For $25 Million Over All My Children/One Life to Live Reboots!






The Hatfields and the McCoys don't have hot shiznit on ABC and Prospect Park. Deadline is reporting PP has filed a breach of contract lawsuit against ABC to the tune of $25 million. At issue? You guessed it, how One Life to Live characters were used on General Hospital!

According the article, All My Children and One Life to Live will relaunch as planned on April 29, as PP gears up to duke out their grievances with ABC in court. Among PP's reported claims concerning GH's use of OLTL characters are that, “for over a year, ABC outright failed and refused to consult with Prospect on any storylines involving these characters, rendering Prospect’s approval rights meaningless.”

The Deadline article also mentions PP isn't happy GH decided to kill off two OLTL characters (Cole and Hope?) and revealed a OLTL character was actually a GH character (Alcazar/Tomas?).

With GH on a creative upswing—post its 50th anniversary—and AMC and OLTL set to return in 11 days, this latest, behind-the-scenes soap opera twist couldn't come at a worse time for the rejuvenated genre. Here's hoping both sides comes to an agreement before it hurts any of the three serials in question.


Comments

Ryan-Scott's picture
Member since:
4 May 2009
Last activity:
21 hours 33 min

Holy $hit.

Member since:
26 December 2012
Last activity:
7 weeks 5 days

Not sure how to feel about this. Can anyone refresh my memory. KA, RH, and ME went over to GH after Prospect Park suspended the production of AMC and OLTL indefinitely, correct? If so, then not sure ABC is in the wrong.

brettyboy's picture
Member since:
28 July 2012
Last activity:
1 hour 22 min

I've seen the complaint document filed and I have to say it's all ABC's fault imo.

GHteenybopper's picture
Member since:
29 March 2010
Last activity:
5 weeks 2 days

WOW...PP is not playing around, the soap world is more "soapy" behind cameras than some of the stories onscreen. I wonder with the recession and budget cuts, how this will affect all those financial aspects. All this for 3 characters that include Starr poorly acted by KA....as Jamey would say on twitter, Jesus take the wheel. This shit is crazy.

As for the killing off Cole/Hope....it's a soap for goodness sake, if PP wants they can bring them back at any time, it's not like it's impossible.

Sour grapes suck. PP said they'd launch the soaps, then backed out, so who cares if the characters were used on GH, after all everyone thought we'd never see OLTL and AMC again so Ron and Frank took advantage of it. I don't know how the crossovers directly impacted the ratings, but I'm sure GH gained some viewers from it.

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
7 hours 1 min

PP had a year to make the soaps & they did & sorry but Id be pissed if I let someone Borrow characters with intention to return them & they got killed off.

Also the URL issue, Earlier this week they still redirected you to ABC Daytime. However as of NOW, it redirects you to the TOLN page. Although ABC is still listed as owners of The URL's

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
5 hours 12 min

Prospect Park had to approve that ABC can use these characters, right!? There have to be contracts or something. Why not make it clear that they want influence and why not forbid them killing off any of the characters right from the beginning? This development took a year. Why make this an issue now when a couple of weeks ago PP said they have the best intentions of making it work with ABC?

Now ABC has decided to throw out the OLTL characters and ended talking to PP about them because negotiations went difficult. They bring back these actors now in new roles ... and that's when PP decides to make a move like this?
They might have legal ground since we don't know what was written in those contracts between ABC and PP concerning the OLTL characters ... but the timing seems odd.

Any way ... holy $$$hit! In the end it could ABC cost a lot of money. But some might say that's the price for killing two of your soap operas and then giving the rights to an outsider.

TV Gord's picture
Member since:
18 February 2009
Last activity:
3 hours 50 min

Prospect Park continues its reputation of dirty dealings. At least they're consistent.

The complaint mentions losing two OLTL characters, which would be Cole and Hope. First of all, it's ridiculous because Cole had been written off the show until the end, and Hope was barely a character. She was prop. The prop department should counter-sue. Then, of course, is the fact that Cole's and Hope's bodies were never recovered, so they can always dramatically return to OLTL.

As for this mess of a claim: "ABC effectively killed another major OLTL character, who was not even licensed to ABC, by revealing that this long-standing OLTL character is in fact another character (alter ego) on GH." Are they talking about McBain? If they are, they aren't watching GH very closely, because that's not what happened.

I suppose Prospect Park could use the $25 million, though. I still don't know how they're going to have the revenues to keep these shows up once the initial investment is gone (and it's probably going fast).

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
7 hours 1 min

SoapJunkie

PP is saying that they had it in the original agreement that had approval of ABC's stories that involved OLTL characters but ABC never consulted them

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
7 hours 1 min

Here is the Full Lawsuit from Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ES...

lfad's picture
Member since:
17 March 2010
Last activity:
7 hours 44 min

Whether PP is dirty or not, if ABC/Disney broke their end of the agreement, PP has every right to sue.

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
5 hours 12 min

appleridge wrote:
Here is the Full Lawsuit from Hollywood Reporter
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ESQ/PROSPECT_ABC_Complaint_WM.pdf

Thank you for that, appleridge. Smile

J Bernard Jones's picture
Member since:
9 September 2008
Last activity:
3 hours 27 min

My first thought was.....$25 million seems awfully low.

This is not a commentary on whether Prospect Park's case has merit or if ABC is in the right, or whether one or both parties are wrong...but...

There have been multiple published reports claiming that Prospect Park is paying ABC between $8-9 million per year for OLTL and AMC. I cannot recall if that figure was for each soap or for both combined. However, it seems very strange that whether the licensing fee was separate or combined that any entity would sue an outfit like ABC, whose corporate parent is the Walt Freakin' Disney empire, for a such a measly amount given that $25 million would basically recoup only the licensing fees plus lunch money.

This lawsuit, even if it has merit on legal grounds, smells of Prospect Park merely trying to embarrass ABC over the recent contractual imbroglio regarding these shows and characters. Mind you, the timing — one week before the premiere of both AMC & OLTL is certainly grabbing some headlines, yes?

Member since:
4 February 2009
Last activity:
3 days 11 hours

Good PR. Put it out there that the 2 shows start in about 2 weeks.

What I find crazy is that Ron and Frank were with PP and then they went back to ABC. There must have been character use discussions going on behind the scenes, while at both places - no?

kintex's picture
Member since:
8 November 2010
Last activity:
7 hours 6 min

Its a frivolous lawsuit. When a character is killed off, you rewrite and resurrect them. It has happened multiple times on soaps. Its part of storytelling, its no like GH killing off the characters was real and there is no way PP writers cant rewrite it.

stefanstavros's picture
Member since:
26 September 2010
Last activity:
4 hours 28 min

Since I'm not privy to the WHOLE story, I'm not going to take a side. My interest in this is from a fan's point of view, which still thinks it sucks that RH, KA and ME have to come back to GH as different characters. The fans of Todd, Starr and McBain are losing out because now we won't get to enjoy these compelling (Starr not so much) characters on EITHER soap! (Except the four weeks of taping RH did for OLTL)...
I guess things will work themselves out eventually, as they always do. In the fast-paced, ever-changing world of media entertainment, the actors could reprise these roles down the road.

J Bernard Jones's picture
Member since:
9 September 2008
Last activity:
3 hours 27 min

And "The Summary of the Claim" (paragraphs 1-7) reads like a very bad press release. Not that that is unusual in civil cases, but...there is an abnormal amount of spin there....LOL

Scout's picture
Member since:
21 November 2008
Last activity:
9 weeks 5 hours

ABC deserves so much more, like NBC type ratings, after all the crap they've pulled with those three soaps over the past ten years. Karma is one red dress wearin' bitch!

Member since:
24 August 2012
Last activity:
1 hour 54 min

I wouldn't doubt that part of this is about publicity--to raise public awareness that these soaps are launching. But what a bush league move. As several have pointed out if they're worried about Cole & Hope--Cole was essentially gone. And I don't think KA signed a deal with PP anyway, right? So why would they want/need Cole if they didn't have Starr? Michael Easton too, right? He didn't sign.

And because something happens on one soap doesn't mean the exact thing has to happen on another. Night Shift had didn't exactly reflect what happened on GH--nor did Port Charles when it was on.

I am tired of the drama--PP do what you want but leave GH alone.

Y2Jin99's picture
Member since:
10 December 2009
Last activity:
10 weeks 2 days

All i know is I hope PP wins so that 25 million can go into the new reboots. lol

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
4 days 7 hours

Team Prospect Park here. Whatever the drama is ABCD gotta remember the Hollywood suits don't play. They don't do that play-school beef like NBC had with Melissa Reeves over a contract. They get to the heart of the matter.

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
7 hours 1 min

When U borrow a character its not cool to kill them off. Sorry Im with PP on that one.

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
5 hours 12 min

I now read the lawsuit and it reads like a love letter to soap fans. LOL
They have legal ground but this also has to do a lot with publicity. Only one week left ... great timing to create the soap behind the soap. Wink

Member since:
22 October 2010
Last activity:
5 days 15 hours

KA had no intentions of going to PP and the only problem with this is that they took her in as Starr. I would have liked for her to go in at the time as a different character cause she wouldnt be caught in this. She did not want to go to OLTL with PP. Poor kid. I dont know about the others. I only skimmed thru the document but my professional opinion on this is that its alot of noise, bad blood and could possibly cause a change in game plans for both OLTL and GH until its straightened out. Which with lawsuits they sit for years and never get straightened out and I fear this will too. Its pretty serious cause even if it gets dropped or settled or whatever, there probably will be yet even more adjustments made to the story lines. And things could fall apart in a very short period of time when funds are not there. I have been wondering WHY some cast members are not returning. possibly it could be that they knew it may not last. Poor KA. Sounds like they are zooming in on her and she didnt even want to stay with OLTL.

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
4 days 7 hours

@Jamey Giddens: I image this is what the on-going battles between ABC and Prospect Park is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwfLFwa3TaY Wink

Member since:
5 October 2012
Last activity:
3 hours 1 min

While some of their claims may have some merit, this suit is hard to take seriously on a few levels.

First, PP announced on Nov. 23 2011 that they had abandoned plans for a reboot. It was a very final-sounding statement: "In the end, the constraints of the current marketplace, including the evolution and impact of new media on our industry simply proved too great a match for even our passion." The suit is notably silent on any attempts throughout 2012 by Prospect Park to enforce their approval rights - probably because they didn't.

Second, the very fact that ABC used these characters so prominently and with a great deal of success in the resurgent GH is arguably the major factor that allowed PP to revive the reboot attempts.

Third, none of the storylines on GH did permanent damage to the characters. In soaps you must roll with continuity issues - explain them and move on. By PP's standard, every dumped headwriter could later be sued by the network for breaching the implied covenant of good faith by messing up the show and characters with their stink writing.

Member since:
16 February 2013
Last activity:
7 hours 16 min

GH left the door open that at least Cole may be alive when they showed a mystery man watching Starr and Michael at the crash site on the one-year anniversary. I think the death PP is probably more upset about is Tea and Victor's baby.

As far as Tomas, it was never established as a fact that he was actually an Alcazar.

I don't understand why PP cares what happened on GH. They should just ignore what happened during that year and do what they want with those characters.

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
7 hours 1 min

PP never backed out they had til Feb 2013 to get these shows going.

Yes PP was shady during its first attempt. However I buy PP's claims. Its classic ABC/Disney Tactics. Finally someone is calling them on it.

david46208's picture
Member since:
15 January 2009
Last activity:
4 days 7 hours

@appleridge: Damn straight! Someone is finally taking down the "mousetache"

Member since:
18 April 2013
Last activity:
48 weeks 4 days

First off nobody knows OLTL better than Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini, who brought those OLTL stars to GH and were signed on to be apart of PP OLTL 2.0. And as far as the fans knew OLTL and AMC were not going back after the 1st failed attempt by PP. Its crazy to think that PP want to basically control the story lines on GH. They honored OLTL history and gave the OLTL fans some familiar faces.

If Cole and Hope were alive, would PP really be using them in OLTL 2.0? They weren't that important until the series finale on ABC. And the issue with McBain playing Caleb and illegitly being killed, McBain wasn't killed so whats the matter. And plus Michael Easton was the only star that was a regular on GH to sign up for the 1st attempt of reviving OLTL.

PP just needs to be happy they are saving OLTL and AMC and move on. All they are worried about is sticking it to ABC and GH.

Member since:
5 July 2008
Last activity:
7 hours 1 min

Oh please GH/ABC knew PP had a year to make it work but they made bold moved by Killing Cole, Hope & Tea's kid. Then heavily hinted Tomas Alcazar was actually Lorenzo Alcazar. That is totally messing with OLTL. Especially since they knew PP was happening with AMC & OLTL when GH filmed the whole is Tomas really Alcazar.