Tyler Perry's The Haves and The Have Nots is OWN's Most Watched Premiere Ever!

Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perrys partnership is off to an incredible start for OWN. The Haves and The Have Nots brought in 1.77 million viewers and 1.57 rating among women 25-54, during its 9 pm premiere.

Approximately 1.8 million total viewers watched during the second hour, with a 1.67 rating among W25-54. With those numbers, the primetime soap opera is the highest-rated series debut in the history of Winfrey's cable channel. Someone should spring for a new BMW for One Life to Live alum Tika Sumpter!

The Haves and The Have Nots airs Tuesdays at 9 pm EST on OWN.

Comments

Ryan-Scott's picture
4 May 2009

Haven't seen it yet but I plan to soon.

Double woof for John S. is all I have to say. Little sweetie.

The_Moustache's picture
17 June 2009
1 week 1 day

i love that there's already outrage & petitions for OWN to cancel the show.

Y2Jin99's picture
10 December 2009

outrage and petitions why?
Is it raunchy?

The_Moustache's picture
17 June 2009
1 week 1 day

"Crunk Feminist Collective entitled “Tyler Perry Hates Black Women,” reads “The fact that Mammy, Jezebel, and Sapphire, along with their remixes (Bad) Baby Mama, Golddigger, Freak and Hood B*tch showed up in under 15 mins is surely a new world record.”

For decades Oprah Winfrey has used her television show to educate, empower, and uplift people of all races to be better versions of themselves. OWN has committed to be an extension of this work. Where it is clear that neither Oprah or Tyler Perry are not experts on race and racism, they have also refused to utilize feedback from the conscious Black community and scholars on racism regarding the damage that Tyler Perry and his brand of entertainment perpetuate against the Black community. Stop supporting racist stereotypes on OWN and remove Tyler Perry programming! Continue reading here. I agree that the writing and acting, aside from Tika who truly shows off her chops despite having a one-dimensional character, leaves something to be desired. But it’s the stereotypical characters that truly do black women a disservice. The maid, the prostitute who abandons her children and the stuck-up mean-spirited and elitist black woman truly have no place on the OWN network."

DARON's picture
24 April 2013

I watch it lasted night and it was awful. Bad acting, Bad storytelling, and Bad sets. Tyler Perry's shows are always low budget and have low class.

21 February 2012

Critics condemn anything, and everything Tyler Perry does because because he doesn't cater to them or kiss their asses like everyone else does. I say Tyler continue giving the big, "FUCK YOU" and keep laughing all the way to the bank. And I will openly admit that always hate Tyler's comedies because they are a bit over the top. However,

DARON wrote:

Sorry, have to disagree; You've watched much worse on daytime. Except, bigger budget, but still low class.

Overall the show was great, the only bad actor was the girl who played the little sister, whom we rarely saw. The writing was great.

logan_echolls's picture
3 August 2012

I loved loved loved it!! Tika was so hardcore.

The only problem is the direction. Tyler Perry is not a good director at all. He needs to let a more experience person director the show.

The acting by some was bad like tow truck driver but it was because of the director that it just seemed a little off. Otherwise I loved it.

DevinMissesOLTL's picture
16 February 2012
1 week 1 day

As a avid soap fan for 27 years, I have to say for his first run at this great medium, it was good. Good enough for me to check it out agin. I have said for years that he should dip his feet into the pool of daytime. There is always room for improvement and I'm sure he will tweak what needs to be tweaked. But for the most part I was really pleased with the show.

Some of the actors are green. To that end, how many green actors have we endured on daytime thru the years? The more they work at it, the better they will get. Its the 1st 2 shows for petes sake...give it a chance. I LOVED the sets and the camera work! Those sets are awesome! I love the four wall sets, the cameras can really move around the room.

And for those that are bitching about the mom being a maid and the daughter being a hoe...chill out! If Candace were white would you be complaining?! I think not. I loved that Candace is a hard ass bitch and that she is black is the icing on the cake! The only real black women on soaps with any grit is Angie Hubard and Candace is the counter to her. I freaking love it! I'm sure she won't remain a hoe for to long. So get off your high horses and enjoy the show or don't watch. But I'll be watching

As a black man, I get so tired of "us" complaining that there are not enough of us on tv. And here we have a black man, with his own company, writing his own shows, trying to represent us and "we" still not happy. Stop stepping on each other and build one another up for a change. It's hard to satisfy your own people huh Tyler? If you think you can do better, then get your show on the air and let's see what you can do.

DevinMissesOLTL's picture
16 February 2012
1 week 1 day

Nk3play2 wrote:
Critics condemn anything, and everything Tyler Perry does because before they even see it because he doesn't cater to them or kiss their asses like everyone else does. I say Tyler continue giving the big, "FUCK YOU" and keep laughing all the way to the bank. And I will openly admit that always hate Tyler's comedies because they are a bit over the top. However,

DARON wrote:

Well said!

jw79bull's picture
15 February 2012

DARON wrote:

Cosign!! you said everything I was Thinking!

SoapsRHere2Stay's picture
12 April 2013

Someone needs to give Tika a raise she was the saving grace. She was fierce and the mom is good also. However this is Tika show and she's owning every scene she's in.

DevinMissesOLTL's picture
16 February 2012
1 week 1 day

SoapsRHere2Stay wrote:

Didn't she?! She was awesome!!! Loved every minute of her! And the mom! I remember her when she was on In the Heat of the Night.

blake3b's picture
3 March 2009

A almost naked Tika will definitely get ratings!

30 May 2013

I thought tyler perry did a wonderful job with the show and so did tika sumpter from reading some of the comments people need to stop with the hate and have several seats

SoapsRHere2Stay's picture
12 April 2013

She was a boss and I loved Candice character she reminded me a little of SMG Kendall from AMC. The vengeful vibe she gave was amazing. I love a mom and daughter hate each other scene. What intrigued me most is the kid in the story? Candice has a kid and the baby daddy a mess. I loved that slapping scene. I don't think it was bad and don't think was the best. I do think it'll improve as it goes along. As more secrets are unraveled the show will get better. Like why is the daughter a cutter? Will Wyatt pull a Adam Newman lmao on the gay guy? Will Wyatt and Candice hook up? Will we find out what's wrong with Ms. Cryer? They have a lot to play on let's see what he does. lol.

SZima's picture
18 July 2012

DARON wrote:

This show was GOD-awful. I recorded the first two episodes and half way through the first episode, I deleted both recordings. It was some of the worst acting & storytelling I've ever seen.

I thought Oprah had more class than that piece of $#!T.

2 July 2009

The show was actually great! There is a lot of stories to be told on the show like is Mr.Cryer beating Mrs.Cryer and what really is Wyatt beef with his dad. what really happen between candice and her mom? Two what's the real deal with the rich black family can't remember their name.

I personally think most of the people on here is hating on the tyler and oprah only because she didn't want to buy OLTL and AMC. I'm not a oprah fan but she is a smart business woman hint she is a billionare for a reason!!!! Right now she is the only station that has a true primetime soap and not a drama that they try to class as a soap. So hats off to oprah and tyler for yall are off to a really good start.

24 August 2012

Wyatt is gonna spread it for Jeffrey. LOL.

DevinMissesOLTL's picture
16 February 2012
1 week 1 day

badass wrote:

ITA that people are still salty that Oprah passed on OLTL and AMC. As am I! And I have never really been a fan of hers anyway. But I really enjoy Tyler's work and THAT is the ONLY reason I tuned n2 her network. What's done is done people, lets move on. I can't wait for next weeks episode!

SZima's picture
18 July 2012

Oprah passing on OLTL and AMC did not figure in my distaste for this show. I would not have bothered recording it if I felt that way. I really wanted it to be good, but it was so far from quality television, I couldn't waste my time with it.

22 January 2008
1 day 11 min

The thing is, Oprah never "passed" on All My Children and One Life to Live. Certain journalists took it upon themselves to tell fans to basically demand for Oprah to air those two very expensive shows on her then fledgling network.

After being bombarded by calls and emails, she posted a video addressing why she couldn't save those shows. I guarantee Tyler Perry's new shows cost a fraction of what Disney would have licensed AMC and OLTL to Oprah for. If they would have licensed them at all.

Her only mistake was even addressing the controversy in the first place. Oprah didn't put up any of her personal fortune for OWN. Discovery is paying the bills and they only wanted dirt cheap reality series.

They couldn't afford the massive fee Prospect Park is now paying Disney, for two shows that are, let's be real here, still struggling to show a profit. Oprah ain't Jesus.