BREAKING NEWS: OWN Set to Air All My Children and One Life to Live!

The soap opera behind the soap operas is the soap opera! A day after announcing yet another schedule change for All My Children and One Life to Live via Hulu and iTunes, comes game-changing news that Oprah Winfrey's cable channel, OWN, has acquired the first 40 episodes of the rebooted sudsers.

Starting Monday, July 15, half-hour episodes of Agnes Nixon's sudsers will air Monday-Thursday, with AMC at 1 pm EST and OLTL at 3 pm EST. The deal between Prospect Park and OWN is for an exclusive 10-week run.

"These shows have proven to be very popular with a significant, loyal fan base, not to mention Oprah herself is a big fan,” said Erik Logan, president, OWN.  “Many of our viewers across numerous platforms have expressed their passion for the soaps so we are especially excited to air this limited engagement on OWN.”

Perhaps there has been a method to all of Prospect Park's scheduling madness after all?

Prospect Park Principle Jeff Kwatinetz added this, “We are really excited to bring OWN viewers and our audience at large an opportunity to catch up on All My Children and One Life to Live on traditional television. We look forward to our millions of fans enjoying the first 40 episodes of the shows."

I'm sure a lot of soap fans are lining up to tell The Mighty O a great big "Toldja So!", considering she infamously made a You Tube video announcing she wouldn't be airing the sudsers, shortly after they were cancelled by ABC. What's that they say, it's a media mogul's prerogative to change her mind?

Comments

2 July 2009

This will explain why they are cutting out cuzz words from AMC & OLTL.

I'm glad that she is bring them back to TV and if the ratings are really good they will stay and not just be a summer fling.

Coffee_Junkie's picture

1titanman wrote:
It all about economics and the reboots are cheaper vs the ABC Daytime version so O knows what she's doing when it comes down to the almighty dollar.

Translation: as long as there's a BUCK to be made, she's IN!

21 January 2013

Coffee_Junkie wrote:
What happened to Oprah's claim that "I can't save the soaps?" I guess when her own network is tanking she'll try anything.

Have you ever changed your mind in your life? It's a concept as old as time. Come on people. Rejoice.

21 January 2013

Coffee_Junkie wrote:
lcwebmedia wrote:
So in essence, this dying medium that Oprah was all so delicate to call it that she could not save cause there was no money to be made by them will now air on her trash tv network... oh the irony. Are you kidding me right now ? Why did she not realize before the millions of eyeballs she could of gained on her network that is still struggling ?
I know I should be happy, I wish another network would of picked it up. I am not really happy that Oprah will profit from this.

She bided her time and waited it out so she could swoop in at the 11th hour and be construed as a true savior. That's her MO.

Ok we get it. You don't like Oprah. Not everyone does. I'm just glad she made this decision and I could care less what the motives are.

6 December 2007

wonderful wonderful news!!!!!! I just wish that ATWT and GL were in that line up.

19 December 2009

Wish she had done it before it went off the air! really liked the actors that were on Amc not crazy about the online Cast!

22 October 2010

She came thru for us. She really did. I am so excited about this. This has been so hard for those of us that dont like the hulu stuff. Ok so yell at me, I know Im impossible but I want to DVR not the other way. Now sooooo many people will tune in which leads me to believe they went over the hump. So happy for Robin Strasser especially. I cant wait for this. Ive been running them on this computer without even paying attention just to support it. Thank you Oprah. She is one of us.

rabbit on the moon's picture
8 June 2010
1 week 1 day

lcwebmedia wrote:

Why are you so concerned with someone else's paycheck? What exactly does that have to do with you? ABC is making a profit too and they're the ones who canceled both shows in the first place. Where's your unhappiness about their royalties?

JasamForever's picture
29 December 2009

I am shocked and surprised at this news, but I am very glad for this! I hope the shows have success and 10 weeks turns into longer. I may actually watch. Take that ABC Sick

liason4real's picture
10 May 2008

Yeah, Oprah!

ABC ditched two of their popular soap operas, PP stepped in to save the shows and now Oprah has decided to air them on her cable network. Here's hoping that those peeps who did not watch online check out the OWN network.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

Coffee_Junkie wrote:
...as long as there's a BUCK to be made, she's IN!

Just as any good businessperson would be.

22 October 2010

Oprah is just like any one of us. She knew what it meant to people. Im sure she had her eye out. And I believe if she knew there was anything to be made, even a bit, she'd take it. For her fans and because she understood. I believe she has not much to really gain by this and nothing to lose. I dont believe it would help her or hurt her. She just did it there was an opportunity to do it and cause she knew we were counting on her. I was really upset with her 2 minute youtube announcement, but Im a forgiving and forgetting person. Dont want poison running thru my veins.

maxsmom's picture
20 February 2009

the crowing is premature, let the shows air, get ratings and get renewed by OWN before the I told you So movement begins.
I was annoyed that Oprah was so negative in turning down the shows but with all the difficulties OWN has suffered, I think producing the soaps would have been a BAD idea.
I ordered the first batch of OLTL on iTunes and will DVR every episode on OWN in a show of support though I don't like the new "young" cast and I hope the balance which used to be OneLife's strong suit, gets better.

22 October 2010

Maxsmom, I feel about the shows just as you do. I lost interest after 2 weeks but continued to let them "run" just cause I wanted to support it. But if they are showing from day 1 I think I will enjoy it from my dvr and not that hulu. I think you are right about it would have been a Bad idea for Oprah at the beginning. But as they say "there's a reason and a season".

EricasBlackSon's picture
13 June 2013

Fantastic news! I'll have the joy with a side of excitement. Hold the snark.

Kendall Troy's picture
16 April 2012

I can't believe anyone can complain about Hulu Plus. If you can use a DVR you certainly can use Hulu Plus which is basically the same thing. Now if your Internet connection is a challenge that's something you should take up with your service company.

Really, if you are watching it on Hulu Plus on your television you are already there, but thank you Oprah for giving these shows more potential eyeballs.

How much does a distribution deal like this make Prospect Park? Is it covering 10% 25% 50% of production/licensing costs? Anyone know?

LivintheSoapLife's picture
1 May 2013
15 weeks 24 min

This is such wonderful news! Now that the shows will once again be on television, even if it is temporarily, people that could not watch online can tune in! Like some other fans, I was upset when Oprah made her announcement that she couldn't save the soaps because they don't make money on network television and their time is over. Glad to see she has reevaluated that opinion. Thank you Oprah and thank you to the executives at OWN! We soap fans appreciate it! Smile

rabbit on the moon's picture
8 June 2010
1 week 1 day

TV Gord wrote:
Coffee_Junkie wrote:
...as long as there's a BUCK to be made, she's IN!

Just as any good businessperson would be.

Exactly. She's making a living like the rest of us. Can't be mad at that.

14 September 2012

I agree with RC! When we asked for her help, she said there was no money in it. Now that she's seen the huge numbers of people who watch regularly on their computers, she's suddenly changed her mind? Too little too last Ms O. I still can't stand you and I still won't watch your crappy channel.

16 June 2010

I also say First DOMA and now this.

I am going to stay watching on hulu plus. I switched to basic cable and internet and I am saving tons of money so I am not going back.

I am glad for the show though. It reenforces the shows.

These actors are gaining world wide fans. It certainly will help all the careers. The young actors will become known world wide.

Are there stats out there about how many viewers these online soaps are getting. I know they are ranking high. Could they be beating the network daytime soaps as far was viewers.

TV Gord's picture
18 February 2009

pumpkin wrote:

Nope. PP hasn't released them. Shocker.

29 June 2011

It's about time she jumped on the soap bandwagon. It's good that there will be another way to watch these shows.

21 January 2013

Speleogirl wrote:

So in other words if she had saved the soaps from the start, you still wouldn't have watched because you can't stand Oprah and will not watch her crappy channel. So glad the majority of true soap fans are not like you.