Francis Ford Coppola Shadows The Young and the Restless?!






No, I'm not drunk blogging, kids The Huffington Post is reporting Oscar-winning director Francis Ford Coppola has been hanging out on the set of The Young and the Restless. According to the site, Coppola is very interested in the multi-camera format and has been in the control room to see up close how the number one daytime drama comes to life.

Coppola stated:

I'm enjoying being at The Young and the Restless. The people are wonderful. I'm learning a lot.
 

Kudos to Y&R for having someone of Coppola's caliber watching their day-to-day operations.


Comments

CarlyCfan's picture
Member since:
14 May 2009
Last activity:
1 day 13 hours

How cool is that?!

pferrando's picture
Member since:
28 June 2012
Last activity:
14 hours 3 min

I wish he'd step in and lend a hand...

He'd really have learned a lot if he visited back in the day.

Sigh.

Member since:
23 February 2009
Last activity:
1 day 12 hours

Senility setting in.

Member since:
16 May 2012
Last activity:
3 days 21 hours

that is an honor for Y&R, and I will say JFP has a way of getting real legit talent to come to her shows for a visit.

hey mon's picture
Member since:
19 May 2011
Last activity:
16 hours 9 min

Maybe a crime family will come to Y&R.

JasamForever's picture
Member since:
29 December 2009
Last activity:
1 min 27 sec

That is awesome!

Yoryla's picture
Member since:
26 May 2012
Last activity:
14 hours 3 min

Well yea, but why does it have to be Y&R, and why now? If he could have been there 10 years ago, or so....

Member since:
23 August 2009
Last activity:
5 weeks 5 days

Good for him. I guess the negative nellies around here really will hate this bit of news.

Member since:
16 May 2012
Last activity:
3 days 21 hours

@Yoryla

why not now? I mean he was extremely busy 10 years ago, maybe he isn't as busy right now. It is possible he is working on something that involves multiple cameras and he wants to learn.

Also why not Y&R? I don't personally watch it but this man is a Hollywood legend and if he is feeling he can learn from a soap that is a positive for the genre.

TraceyAbbot101's picture
Member since:
4 March 2012
Last activity:
14 hours 34 min

Maybe he is doing a movie on "recyclables"? hahaha!

soapjunkie88's picture
Member since:
3 July 2008
Last activity:
9 hours 23 min

really wrote:
why not now? I mean he was extremely busy 10 years ago, maybe he isn't as busy right now. It is possible he is working on something that involves multiple cameras and he wants to learn.
Also why not Y&R? I don't personally watch it but this man is a Hollywood legend and if he is feeling he can learn from a soap that is a positive for the genre.

Many viewers feel that Y&R isn't in a good state right now. And if someone like Coppola should be on a soap opera it should be one that is working in production and it's creative direction.

Anyway this is great. Someone like Coppola being invested in getting to know how this genre work. I only wish it was under different circumstances too. Ten years ago, Y&R still had a vision and was the golden standard of soaps. Not much is left of it any more. No doubt Coppola would have had a lot more fun watching then.

MsAgentProvocateur1's picture
Member since:
2 December 2011
Last activity:
24 weeks 4 days

Looks like he is learning some technical aspects of the show.
Filming for movies and television are two different animals technically. Coppola may be looking at tinkering with shooting styles.

stoney07's picture
Member since:
18 August 2009
Last activity:
8 hours 56 min

Or maybe the guy watches soaps and feels that Y&R is the best out of the ones left.

It's possible.

This site aside, there are tons of people who still find the show to be really good. My opinion of this doesn't matter, but realistically speaking, just because a lot of people jump on the bandwagon of "I Hate Y&R" doesn't mean that the entire world thinks the show is crap.

Myself, if I really had no experience in soaps and wanted to learn, I'd visit Y&R. Why? BEcause it's the number 1 soap by a MILE. It's at least a million viewers ahead of the others, and that means something.

Besides, I still say the show is nowhere near as bad as everyone here says. I visited another board today for the first time in a couple of years, and it caught me by surprise at how there were positive conversations, the criticisms were legit, and there was talk about the actual show and storylines instead of just about bad the writers are.

Member since:
16 April 2010
Last activity:
12 hours 10 min

Sweet Jesus, I have a feeling a serial Killer posing as an artist who become fixated on Dylan played by Leonardo Decapprio isnt far behind.

hey mon's picture
Member since:
19 May 2011
Last activity:
16 hours 9 min

No strong female characters, thats really what everyone is upset about.

Jill, Katherine, Phyllis -- The Big 3, gone. Well, Jill is de facto gone. I suppose one could say that Hillary is a strong female character, but in a weird sort of way. NuAbby is starting to get on my nerves, since she has been dumbed down from the last way Marcy Rylan was portraying her, just before she left. Now Lauren is hardly on at all.

A lot of The Show is how Chelsea and Avery react to Dylan. Today is a great example. Today, Avery shouts out, "Dylan is broken" to Chelsea. Seems weird that The Show has been reduced to this level. Just last week Avery had her wedding dress on, and was marrying one of the richest men in America. Oh well.

The bright spot is Lily. Shes come a long way baby. Last year at this time, she was pining away, torn as to whether or not she loved Tyler. Now she's trying to set up Hillary, and catch her at her game.

What would be really great is to see The Trio of Cane/Lily/Devon take Chancellor to new heights. Have Chancellor take over Newman Enterprises. Let The Winters Family have their time taking over the business world in Genoa City. Let the whole thing be led by Lily Ashby -- and wouldn't be touching if Lily had a framed pic of Dru on her desk, and said, "Mom, I turning into the greatest businesswoman in the world because I am modeling my life after you."

Coffee_Junkie's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
6 days 15 hours

hey mon wrote:
The bright spot is Lily. Shes come a long way baby. Last year at this time, she was pining away, torn as to whether or not she loved Tyler. Now she's trying to set up Hillary, and catch her at her game. What would be really great is to see The Trio of Cane/Lily/Devon take Chancellor to new heights. Have Chancellor take over Newman Enterprises. Let The Winters Family have their time taking over the business world in Genoa City. Let the whole thing be led by Lily Ashby -- and wouldn't be touching if Lily had a framed pic of Dru on her desk, and said, "Mom, I turning into the greatest businesswoman in the world because I am modeling my life after you."

Gag. I just projectile vomited. You honestly want to see LILY running Chancellor Industries? What a joke.

As for Coppola, they've probably brought him on to direct Steve Burton. JFP will stop at nothing to make her pet happy.

bobbyew's picture
Member since:
19 October 2012
Last activity:
4 hours 25 min

I would visit Y&R if I were to visit a soap. Even though the show is good and bad depends on the day. Sometimes they drop the Mic. Sometimes they make you say can we get another soap on the air. Hey Mon said that all the strong women are gone. That is true. The reason for that is because there is only room for one strong woman on the set. Hopefully Jess Walton comes back and is shooting now after attending the wedding she went to. I will always love the soap. It would be my first pic to set visit.

Member since:
21 April 2008
Last activity:
14 hours 20 min

MsAgentProvocateur1 wrote:
Looks like he is learning some technical aspects of the show.
Filming for movies and television are two different animals technically. Coppola may be looking at tinkering with shooting styles.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I don't think he's necessarily there to study soaps but is studying the multi-camera way they shoot with minimal rehearsing. Recent interviews I've read with Spielberg, Lucas, Scorcese, Schrader, and other older directors, they all say that studios are giving the big budget films to the young flavors-of-the-month not the experienced vets. Older filmmakers, even ones with great resumes, are even finding it hard to raise money for lower budget independent films. Maybe he's looking at multi-camera and even hand-held as a way to make films with much smaller budgets the way that the likes of Paul Schrader have had to. It wouldn't shock me if he was looking into things like Kickstarter too.

hey mon's picture
Member since:
19 May 2011
Last activity:
16 hours 9 min

Why, what are you waiting for, CoffeeJunkie, JFP to tie Lily into Dylan McAlroy or something? I like The Winters Family part of The Show, because it is free of Dylan.

Dylan has PTSD, Avery is mad at everyone for 'ragging on' Dylan, Chelsea keeps fantasizing about life with Dylan, Nikki's long lost son is Dylan.

Give me long-time actress/veteran Christal Khalil anyday, as well as Bryton playing Devon (who has been around for 10 years). Cause soon, baby, the newbies will be all that we are going to have.

blake3b's picture
Member since:
3 March 2009
Last activity:
10 hours 39 min

Too bad he couldn't have come when the show was good.

tedew's picture
Member since:
17 August 2009
Last activity:
8 hours 29 min

Mr. Coppola is just there learning camera techniques for some odd reason (or trying to find employment for his nephew).

Four things about the Tuesday Canadian Y&R episode ...

Good: Neil getting what he deserved for being falsely guilt ridden.
Bad: Chelsea's reaction to receiving some news.
Bad and annoying even more: Angelic Avery and Chelsea.
Worst (or best): Steve Burton proving most contributors here entirely correct.

bobbyew's picture
Member since:
19 October 2012
Last activity:
4 hours 25 min

Y&R please stop fumbling at the goal line. All the build up just for that girl to get a talking to. I hope there is more to this tomorrow.

bobbyew's picture
Member since:
19 October 2012
Last activity:
4 hours 25 min

Michael Eilbaum great directing for Y&R today though.

Member since:
24 January 2012
Last activity:
6 hours 38 min

This is probably just a ruse, and he actually came in to audition for the role of NuVictor - who will be recurring....lol!

Yoryla's picture
Member since:
26 May 2012
Last activity:
14 hours 3 min

soapjunkie88 wrote:
Many viewers feel that Y&R isn't in a good state right now. And if someone like Coppola should be on a soap opera it should be one that is working in production and it's creative direction.
Anyway this is great. Someone like Coppola being invested in getting to know how this genre work. I only wish it was under different circumstances too. Ten years ago, Y&R still had a vision and was the golden standard of soaps. Not much is left of it any more. No doubt Coppola would have had a lot more fun watching then.

Thank You.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing per se, of course it isn't. I just wish I could relate to Coppola's experience at this time and be proud of Y&R as it is now.

Member since:
23 February 2009
Last activity:
1 day 12 hours

stoney07 I'm sure I sound bitchy but are you always this positive? The reason I'm asking is in every discussion where there is a coven of hate-mongering there you are bursting in with your bright and positive spin on things ...........

stoney07's picture
Member since:
18 August 2009
Last activity:
8 hours 56 min

Sanka....yes. I am Smile lol. Why would you sound bitchy???

I just don't like one-sided conversations...that's all. If I feel that there's an over-abundance of negativity, then I do try to find the positive.

And really, I personally just don't see the show being THAT bad. I truly don't. Now there are times where I just like to antagonize people just for kicks and giggles, but at this present time, I just think a lot of people have grown accustomed to hating and so I like to offer a different perspective. lol

Member since:
23 February 2009
Last activity:
1 day 12 hours

I didn't know how you would respond to my question so I was just preempting your response. Thanks for answering I've stopped myself several times from asking lol!

Coffee_Junkie's picture
Member since:
30 March 2009
Last activity:
6 days 15 hours

Phelps is probably planning a Godfatheresque bloodbath in the Athletic Club for the remaining vets (Jack, Victor, Nikki, Jill, etc.) come Nov. sweeps and Coppola is there to offer his expertise.

Yoryla's picture
Member since:
26 May 2012
Last activity:
14 hours 3 min

stoney07 wrote:
Sanka....yes. I am Smile lol. Why would you sound bitchy???
I just don't like one-sided conversations...that's all. If I feel that there's an over-abundance of negativity, then I do try to find the positive.
And really, I personally just don't see the show being THAT bad. I truly don't. Now there are times where I just like to antagonize people just for kicks and giggles, but at this present time, I just think a lot of people have grown accustomed to hating and so I like to offer a different perspective. lol

This is why I fit so well as Stoney's DC wifey - we even each other out Laughing out loud Smile