Days recap: 1/26/2012

8 replies [Last post]
marknsprmo
marknsprmo's picture

cast of characters:: Marlena, Jack, war vets, Madison, Melanie, Quinn, Abbie, John, Brady

Today we had Jack entering the scary world of group therapy. Jack joins Marlena's already formed group therapy for war vets. The vets are having various troubles rejoining life outside the military. Their experiences in the war and ages vary. Some seem quite open and friendly. Others seem closed down and defensive when they find out Jack is a member of the press.
They feel like the press got it all wrong. (like most of what was said, the statement was not developed. I personally came out of these scenes with nothing that I didn't take into them. I applaud Days for this kind of story and hope they do delve deeper, but these scenes seemed somewhat undeveloped and surface.). The most elloquent of the group, a lady that is missing a leg and is partially blind, told how she has trouble reintegrating back into american society and that she remembers how lost and dejected the people of Bosnia where she served. Other people spoke of not being able to converse with people here about the things that they saw and experienced. Finally Jack tells his story about being kidnapped and stuck in a cave. His story about being kidnapped and held for a year in that cave touched everyone. He talked about making marks on the cave wall. Keeping up with the date seemed to help him stay present and sane. He spoke a little about being tortured and that his friend was removed and murdered one day. He also said that a huge chunk of him is not here in Salem but rather back in that cave he was in in Afganistan. At the end of the session everyone gave him a hug and welcomed him to the group. I hope they continue with this and flesh out the stories.

In the mean time Madison (I am begining to think she is not in town to start a business because she is not that good at it) wants to hire Abbie and Melanie to be the fresh faces of Madworld as friends. Because boys and girls is so yesterday (yeah sex doesn't sell anymore). She tells Quinn also wants to put her product in the spa and help take the spa national. But first Abbie and Melanie have to make up because they have to really be friends for this to work (huh? you mean all those people in commercials are really family? the men and women in the sex scenes are really lovers? I had this all wrong I guess, I thought they were acting!)
They talk about their friendship and kinda bury the hatchet except for whatever reason Abbie is still upset because Mel has feelings for Chad (not that she is acting on them. Just that she has them. A real friend apparently has total control on how they feel!) Anyway I think these two want to be models badly enough to eat barbed wire. So I am sure Chad won't stop them.

And finally John and Brady. I do not even have a clue what they were fighting about. It is like the bad old days of the internet site with the teens. If you are gonna have people argue over business, please give them something to fight about! Anyway John made the observation that Brady was being stubborn and mule headed, just the same as his ole man. Words like deal breaker were thrown in for autheniticity. I have no sense about what the scene was about. Much like the whole day in fact. It was kinda like a teenager writing about things he or she knows nothing of.
Writers do your homework if you are gonna broach topics that you do not know about. Atleast enough to fool the average joe. Do a mock up of a business plan. Go out and sit in on some actual group therapys. Read a book by someone who has post traumatic destress syndrome. Talk to an ad exec....

david46208
david46208's picture

@marknsprmo: Check your messages.

marknsprmo
marknsprmo's picture

David I don't have any recent messages. I got that one from you and replied but haven't heard anything. Resend message!

david46208
david46208's picture

@marknsprmo: Alright one mo-gain

SoapArmageddon
SoapArmageddon's picture

An extremely uninteresting episode, I agree. It’s like the people who are writing the Will-Sami-EJ-Marlena story arc are writers that are ten times better than the ones writing some of the other stuff. I just don’t get it.

I feel like they are not using the character of Brady correctly and haven’t for quite some time; and I think putting him with Madison was not the way to go. As hunky as the actor is, I don’t even know if the character is necessary at this point.

Meanwhile, Madison should be a hard-nosed, driven businesswoman with no time for romance, a woman who makes enemies really quickly because her ambition turns them off.

akbad806
akbad806's picture

@soapArmageddon that's so true about Madison. She should be Salem's answer to Amanda Woodward, not some lovesick ninny. And Brady hasn't been relevant since EM came on in the role. I never liked the whole "Brady is a drug addict" twist and he just doesn't gel with me as a viewer.

SoapArmageddon
SoapArmageddon's picture

akbad806, you've just made me correct myself. Instead of being a woman with no time for romance, she really should be more like Melrose Place'e Amanda, an ambitious woman who uses men and throws them away like Kleenex.

Sarah Brown would KILL in this type of role.

marknsprmo
marknsprmo's picture

Whatever Madison is or isn't I just wish they would move it towards something. It seems like they just throw things at it to see what sticks. Last week she was going to seek out the older cosmetic customer. This week she is after the younger market, which she had already handed over to countess W last week.
As far as Brady goes, he is like the twin/cousin of Phillip. You could plug either one of them into eachothers story and not even notice a difference. Personally, I wish Brady were either snow white good or evil. This hopping on the line of good and evil just makes him look wishy washy.
I thought he handled that badboy stuff rather well. I especially liked when he was tormenting poor Aunt Viv. I also kinda got into his vodka swirling self. It atleast gave him a pov and an edge.

harlee490
harlee490's picture

Mark, yes I have to agree, it was a mixed week at best compared how stellar the prior week was in story. Some parts just lagged big time. I like Brady as he is but I for one can't stand John's (Drake) voice and when he is on screen, I cringe. So the scenes with dad wasn't exciting for me. As for Madison, I like her and ready for IB to make his entrance. I do have a question about Jamey reporting that DOOL going back to JER's story telling of mid '90s, now they have Lisa De, from Passions makes me sad. Even though some stories are lagging they are not falling apart just needs a guiding hand to steer the stories. I still think Days needs to add a HW with experience (there are plenty aboard now) and have Mar-Dar co-HW. If I wanted to watch Passions or even DOOL back when JER was writing I would have tuned in but now that Jamey is hinting to return of this type of story telling it saddens me because I won't stick around viewing Days. If I want to watch this type of soap I will tune in into The Walking Dead, which I like every much or California Heaven. Just don't know what to think. Mark, what do you think?