4. B&B 169,000 (-30,000/+33,000)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. GH 0.8 (+.1/+.3)
2. DAYS 0.6 (same/+.2)
2. Y&R 0.6 (-.1/same)
4. B&B 0.5 (-.1/+.1)

SoapArmageddon
SoapArmageddon's picture

Y&R is being overtaken by GH in the precious Women 18-49 demo!

It'll be quite a shocker if GH takes the lead. JFP's head should roll.

Good news for Days.

Yoryla
Yoryla's picture

Actually,

GH has held that spot many times, especially during 2012. So they would taking their rightful place back. But in any case, yes, it is great work! Go GH!!! They certainly deserve all the numbers and high praise they get!

Wonderful news for DAYS! They are so HOT right now! Crown

pferrando
pferrando's picture

I'm happy that YR has crossed the 4.7 mil mark for total viewers.

I guess Phelps thinks that this Delia death is going to help her ratings even more. This is what MAB did to keep her ratings spiking. I HATE stunt story telling for ratings.

I see Days is bringing out the guns, literally, too.

I don't think offing Carmine was the right way to go with that story either.

noway

pferrando wrote:
I'm happy that YR has crossed the 4.7 mil mark for total viewers.

I guess Phelps thinks that this Delia death is going to help her ratings even more. This is what MAB did to keep her ratings spiking. I HATE stunt story telling for ratings.

I see Days is bringing out the guns, literally, too.

I don't think offing Carmine was the right way to go with that story either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Pferrando,

I just don't see how they are getting these numbers, none of this is must see TV for me. Victor as owner of Chancellor, no way in hell would Katherine have done that. Not leaving it to Philips child and grandchild, k yeah whatever I ain't buying it. Tuned in for a little on Friday and could not take Neil's whining guilt fest, and that little dance that Cane and TGVN were doing.

There is no uptick in 18-49 numbers, so is it just old timers coming back???
Now it's going to be shock and awe to bring the viewers back to watch a child die. But, we do get three days of Eileen D? My question is will Heymon tune in to see his woman in this situation?

pferrando
pferrando's picture

Heymon isn't going to stop watching...none of us longtime viewers will do that regardless of how bad the show is.

I HATED Latham's YR, and I still watched although I fast forwarded thru a lot of the show for the first time in my life.

When MAB took over the show at least it still looked and sounded like YR (unlike when Latham put her spin on it's look) and I cringed at some of that writing.

The past year has been tame in comparison, but the show lost it's look and feel again so I still feel like I haven't been satisfied.

Now we have new writers.

I don't think I'll stop watching, but there sure have been moments that I didn't like.

hey mon
hey mon's picture

Look, if I could race home from football practice and watch Y&R back in 1979 on my newly-bought and newly-invented VCR, I will watch it now. I hate Delia dying, but 'aint nothing but an Abbott girl being killed off', and we are all used to that.

Im glad the numbers are up. Must be a lot of seniors like me coming back to The Show.

noway

Heymon stop you are far from a senior citizen.

noway

Heymon stop you are far from a senior citizen.

lightbringer
lightbringer's picture

It is just a matter or time; General Hospital will overtake Y&R in the ratings.

Success and failure always start at the top...

pferrando
pferrando's picture

I don't see GH coming close to YR in total viewers any time in the near future, even with Phelps at the helm.

They could easily though continue to slip in the advertising demos.

I've said this before, but there really are not a lot of people that are discovering soaps. The format is pretty tapped out, I feel.

I believe former viewers may tune back in, but none of my nieces, or nephews watch them, and I have many.

Viewing patterns have changed in the past 20 years.

I also still find it hard to believe that most advertisers are salivating over the 200,000 or so 18-34 year olds that all four soaps attract.

Not really impressive.

stoney07
stoney07's picture

GH won't overtake Y&R. I'm not saying that because I dislike GH...but I'm saying it because:

Most people online feel that GH is better now than it's been in over a decade. Most people also feel that Y&R is worse now than it's been in decades, and still its millions of viewers ahead of GH.

GH has single handedly brought back just about every popular character from the past this year, and the ratings have improved by GH's standards but it's still nowhere near Y&R who hasn't brought back ANY popular characters.

And just my own little personal touch, but GH even at its best is not as good as Y&R TO ME. I'm just sayin'....even right now, with the Delia story going on Y&R, the acting along makes the show stand out amongst the rest. Even with JFP's horrible music, the gloomy writing, and the inconsistent stories, the acting is just out of this world for the most part.

Now if CBS gets a clue and fires JFP (and the writers) and hires someone who actually knows Y&R, GH won't stand a chance and neither will the other soaps.

And technically, if anyone is even CLOSE to overtaking Y&R, it would be B&B waaaay before GH or DAYS.

pferrando
pferrando's picture

I could actually see BB do that. They've been slowly climbing.

And if enough people defect due to this latest Phelps debacle they could be the first new #1 soap since the late 80's.

What a sad day that would be for YR.

Yoryla
Yoryla's picture

The total viewers don't really matter, though. They're not utterly irrelevant, but the demos are what counts for the advertisers and the suits. So I don't really think the totals should be even held to a very high degree or really even discussed that way. Some people just want to look at them because for some they are listed first and possibly easier to understand. But they really shouldn't be taken into any account. It's exactly as pferrando said, not many young people start to watch who haven't before. But if someone were to get those eyeballs to increase, then that would be a big feat.

SoapArmageddon
SoapArmageddon's picture

Total viewers are IRRELEVANT. A good illustration of this is an NBC primetime show starring Kathy Bates called "Harry's Law", which they cancelled last season. It was averaging 11.5 million viewers, more than most of the other shows that aired that night on other networks, but because its demos skewed to older viewers it ended up getting cancelled anyway.

I believe CSI-New York was cancelled under similar circumstances.

This is why I made the original post about GH gaining on Y&R. They're only separated by about 50K viewers (sometimes much less) in the women 18-49 demo.

noway

SoapA

Harry's Law was actually a very good show and entertaining, quite unlike YR has been lately. Very little to be entertained about unless you like death and foolishness.

hey mon
hey mon's picture

Hey, as an old man in his 50's, whose demographic is overlooked..

I can tell ya that Y&R will always be more serious that other daytime shows. DAYS is always a merry-go-round with Sami and Kristen on the show. B&B is about Brooke and her antics. GH is a hodge-podge of something-something. I tried watching it, it is hard watching. Very intricate.