4. DAYS 726,000 (-77,000/+98,000)

Women 25-54 Rating
1. Y&R 1.9 (same/+.1)
2. GH 1.6 (same/+.3)
3. B&B 1.4 (-.1/same)
4. DAYS 1.2 (-.1/+.2)

harlee490
harlee490's picture

Well, YR hasn't been at household ratings a 3.3 in how long? It's been a while for that rating point. I'm so damn conflicted....one hand I'm depressed and I truly don't want to see this slip because the longer Jill Phuck-up Phelps remain (as LML & MAB) it does more damage to YR's soul but on the other hand I can see why it's happening because fans are fed-up with the foolishness coming from Sony to employ this woman (destroyer of soaps) called JFP. YR is up slightly in one demo which as long that number is up Steve Kent & Sony won't budge an inch to fire JFP & hacks. The other demos are all negative if only slight. Making no excuses a negative still a negative anyway you slice it, eating into the positive numbers from last year.

BB is slightly down in couple of demos but not as bad as the rest of the shows, strong numbers showing in all the rest of the ratings. BB could teach all the other soaps a thing or two about quality and consistency.

My surprise is DOOL numbers and the huge plunge when Days has been great quality and fun to watch. Days\BB has been the best soaps on the air IMO, not sure what happened to GH, I don't watch and can't comment. I will leave that to someone who would know better about GH.

SoapArmageddon
SoapArmageddon's picture

In terms of which of the four shows provided the most entertainment to me during November Sweeps, I'd say that Y&R did it the least, but I have to add that is because my expectations of the show are very high; and I also skipped about 4 or 5 episodes. It doesn't mean the show was terrible. What it means is that JFP and MAB before her have turned this show into something it never was: just another soap. It's no longer the gold standard.

I really thought the ratings would be up for all four shows and really way up in the cases of Days and GH.

Restless Fan
Restless Fan's picture

In households this is the 4th week now Y&R has posted losses from the week before. I don't think any of us who saw the Delia stunt for what it was is surprised. Frankly with the shows I do catch I don't expect the trend to turn around drastically anytime soon. At least not til the week of New Years which is always a high rated week for soaps. IMO, Y&R is a tough hour of tv to get through. Hell its a rough 10 minutes most days to get through.

Happy for B&B. I don't watch the show as much as I would like too but for my money it's the most classic of the soaps still on the air. It reminds me of classic Y&R. Glad the Bells own it and outside forces :Cough, Sony: can't come in and fuck it up.

pferrando
pferrando's picture

I guess the bright spot for us YR fans is that even during all this turmoil and fan discontent, the show is still up quite a bit over LY, and actually increased in that 18-49 demo that I think is ridiculous.

What is surprising is that even with all the raves that both GH and Days have been getting on this blog for quite some time they both were down the most over the previous year.

BB though continues to amaze me. Great job!

Yoryla
Yoryla's picture

FINALLY, lol! These ratings sure took their time.

ED's exit from DAYS is starting to show... I'm glad if people are still watching, but I cannot bring myself to it anymore.

I don't watch B&B at the moment, but glad for them. Quinn could be an asset to the show, and with Aly and Ridge back the show could really benefit, especially know that the horrible Brill pairing has been dissolved and if Katie gets the upper hand with Ridge...may have to turn back in to that show.

GH has been simply marvelous, my #1 soap without a doubt.

harlee490
harlee490's picture

pferrando wrote:
I guess the bright spot for us YR fans is that even during all this turmoil and fan discontent, the show is still up quite a bit over LY, and actually increased in that 18-49 demo that I think is ridiculous.
What is surprising is that even with all the raves that both GH and Days have been getting on this blog for quite some time they both were down the most over the previous year.
BB though continues to amaze me. Great job!

P~ but it's eating into those positive numbers slowly but surely. I could be wrong but I don't see any great ratings up surge in the future if something doesn't change.

As for DOOL & GH and coming from the blogs we all realize we are just small fraction of people expressing our opinions because there are millions of others who watch and don't blog. I know it's hard but Days has been ridiculous good if wanting to believe it or not and I think in Days case we could be seeing all the channel & time switching happening in different markets for DOOL as been reported a few weeks ago.

Jamey Giddens

DAYS and GH were down the most during one week's ratings cycle. GH has shown more ratings growth for the actual TV season than any other soap, and is about to hit a seven-year high.

DAYS is doing better than it's done in two seasons. B&B is doing better than it's done in five seasons. Y&R is beating it's 2012 numbers.

Also, these aren't based on our praises on this site. Numerous mainstream entertainment sites are reporting this. GH grew more this year than any other soap. TV Guide said it. Hollywood Reporter said it. Variety said it.

Y&R is clearly the most watched daytime soap—has been since 1988—and showed growth year over year. The other three, however, are showing much better numbers than they have in several years — some in over half a decade.

harlee490
harlee490's picture

Jamey Giddens wrote:
Y&R is clearly the most watched daytime soap—has been since 1988—and showed growth year over year. The other three, however, are showing much better numbers than they have in several years — some in over half a decade.

UGH! This means we will never get rid of JFP? The long suffering of viewers... Sick

pferrando
pferrando's picture

I wasn't commenting on anything OTHER than this posted rating's cycle.

Of course GH has been doing well in the ratings. We see the ratings weekly and read all the network's press releases.

I'm glad all the shows are up even if I don't watch all of them.

I've watched countless shows over the years, and don't want to see any of them cancelled, regardless of who is the EP, or what is playing out on each of them, good or bad. If I don't like a show, I just don't watch.

Jamey Giddens

@Harlee they got rid of Josh and he had steady ratings. I think TPTB want good ratings and good buzz. The viewers aren't the only ones who have had problems with the quality of Y&R. Several insiders have said to me watching the show was "like watching paint dry" this season.

However, most put the fault primarily on Josh. I personally don't think he should shoulder so much of the blame. If he wasn't doing what they needed him to do, why isn't Jill equally accountable? She was his boss.

There are high hopes Jean's new long stories will get things on track. The show hasn't had long stories in a long time, according to my sources.

harlee490
harlee490's picture

@Jamey

Jamey Giddens wrote:

However, most put the fault primarily on Josh. I personally don't think he should shoulder so much of the blame. If he wasn't doing what they needed him to do, why isn't Jill equally accountable? She was his boss.
There are high hopes Jean's new long stories will get things on track. The show hasn't had long stories in a long time, according to my sources.

Yes, I agree about Josh getting all the blame, Jill needed her ass booted at the same time. Shock I have so much more faith in Jean's stories, she does know how to write long term story which as you stated on podcast YR has been missing since Josh\JFP arrived. I know I'm one of few but I liked her most stories (not all) on ATWT, she worked under Hogan (another controversy in itself) but they did turn ATWT around in ratings, Jean is more talented for YR (if I can't have back Kay Alden) compared to Altman & Thompson...I just don't have any trust or faith in those two, zilch, zero confidence into leading the way for YR. Angry