Forums The Young and the Restless ATWT’s Helen Wagner (Nancy) has passed away at 91 years of age!!!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of alstonboy4315alstonboy4315
    853 Posts

Sad, sad, sad NEWS!!!! Legendary daytime actress, Helen Wagner, who spent over 54 years playing Nancy Hughes on CBS’s "As the World Turns", and holds the Guiness Book of World Record’s title as the actress who has played the longest running character in television history, a title unlikely to ever be bested by anyone (especially on the increasingly fickle canvas that television has become), has passed away at the age of 91. Helen is also the ONLY original cast member who actually spoke the first line on the FIRST episode of ATWT, April 2, 1956!!! This is very sad. Although ATWT has had it’s ups and downs over the years, the presence of veteran characters such as Nancy Hughes provided a sense of stability and sanity amongst the insanity!! She reminded us that this show is about it’s CHARACTERS—first, last and always!! I find this to be particularly sad since I was looking forward to seeing Nancy Hughes speak the last words on the September finale. Well, I wasn’t "looking forward" to it, but I was certainly hoping that she would be the one to usher this show into soap opera heaven!!! I hope that ATWT will make the final months about the VETERAN characters—-Lisa, Bob, Kim, Lucinda, Margo, Tom and the MEMORY of Nancy Hughes!!! I am TRULY saddened to report the loss of another beloved daytime matriarch!! RIP, Helen Wagner!! You shall be missed!!! Heaven has gained an angel, and daytime has lost one!!

Profile photo of Anonymous
    2899 Posts

I could not have said it any better alstonboy.  I was just stunned that she’s gone and I too was really hoping that she’d say the last words to usher ATWT into Soap Heaven.  Perhaps Chris Goutman knew that she was starting to slip away and decided to take the opportunity to have her say those final words and that we will hear them in September.  I hope he was smart enough to do that.

Profile photo of alstonboy4315alstonboy4315
    853 Posts

Matealestimo–

Thanks for commenting on my post. However, you are far more optimistic about Chris Goutman’s level of intelligence and foresight than I am. Personally, I don’t even think that Chris Goutman and the word "smart" belong in the same sentence. This man is nothing more than a money-hungry hack who is only working in daytime because no other genre will have him. I hate to take attention away from this tragedy, but I see no need to sugarcoat the truth.

Thanks again for your kind words, and have a great evening….

Profile photo of OutspokenOutspoken
    179 Posts

Mate… I also am hoping that they clipped that last statement with her or at least paste one together. Bummer! I had no idea that she was on her way out, she looked so fit at Kim and Bob’s wedding. What a shame, but she is in a better place now, God bless her and her family, both private and world-wide.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.