Forums Days of Our Lives Days is Giving The “Drama”
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of david46208david46208
    821 Posts

Oh Sami’s confrontation with Marlena and John was excellent. I kept thinking that Marlena was inching to slap her, like old times. But Sami had some points. Marlena has been acting like John is so important that the law should be bent time and time again for him. Now see if this had been a Dimera Bo, Hope and all of them would have been spitting mad if they got any special treatment. Yet the hypocrisy of it all is what makes this show great. I want Sami to slap Marlena. She needs to be taken to task for her hypocrisy. She was silent when Sami called her out. Marlena is being a bitch right now. A subtle one at that and I love it.

And it appears that EJ had something to do with the shooter but not with the kidnapping of Johnny. So this is the twist in it. And remember the guy from the Halloween event? I believe he was the kidnapper. But the shooter strangely looked like Jack. Or was it just me?

On the other hand Jack is up to his old tricks as usual. He is always plotting to try and get back with Jennifer. Great that she called him out.

Now this is what you call Drama!

Profile photo of SoapArmageddonSoapArmageddon
    395 Posts

Alison Sweeney blew me away in those scenes where Sami laid into Marlena and John. Sometimes she over-acts and at other times she phones it in, but this time she struck gold. I loved seeing Sami’s veneer of maturity stripped away. The rage, the resentment, the insecurity of teenaged Sami were all there. AS did the damn thing!!!!!!!

And yes! Sami may have been too hard on John, but Marlena IS a terrible mother. In the nineties she could get away with the old “I was kidnapped by evil Stefano Dimera for five years” excuse but what exactly is her excuse for always putting John first? The man must be a tiger in bed is all I can come up with because all he does is distance her from her family otherwise.

It’s been about fifteen years since I was this much in love with Days.

Maria Arena Bell should be strapped down in a chair Clockwork Orange-style and made to watch Days so that she can see what good soap is. She needs to see how good soap writers use past history to give sub-text and back-story for the present. None of this was made-up offscreen history like the Phyllis-Avery crap, or about characters that nobody was ever invested in like that bogus Australian cattle-mafia family.

Profile photo of marknsprmomarknsprmo
    406 Posts

Days is burning hot now! The reboot was great then Oct was the set up. Now we are seeing the fruitation of the reboot! Sami came out of her adult closet swinging. This is the old Sami. The one who strikes when she is feels threatened. In this case, her kid is threatened. Her usual target is those who she loves, Marlena, John and Rafe. EJ on the otherhand is eating himself alive because he set up John in the money scandal and believes he has something to do with Johnny’s kidnapping (I think those two things are mutually exclusive. I think the shooting at the pub was just cover fire to kidnap Johnny all along. The reasons will come forth in the future.) I love that both Bo and Hope are thinking of their lost child right now. It was subtle but you could see both of them pause today and have a sad moment. The Alice story is also starting to warm up as Bo and Hope and Austin start clinking heads together and coming up with the name Dimera.
    I also loved the confrontation between EJ and Stephano. Although Stephano does love his children, they are acceptable “colateral damage” to him if he loses a kid or two. EJ does not see his kids that way. Johnny is his son! Always when EJ goes too far into the Dimera world, he is pulled back to the good side a little ways. That is why people love him. He is like what Luke Skywalker said about Darth Vader, ” I see good in him.” I don’t know that EJ is good, but he is not totally corrupt like his father. But he is still pretty bad! I can NOT wait to see the scenes between Sami, EJ and Will coming!

395 Posts

I did find it rather comedic that nobody for a moment seriously considered the possibility that little Johnny D. might have been scared by the shots, and wandered off half-blindly and gotten lost. These people know they’re living in Salem, a place where sooner or later everybody and his grandmother winds up getting kidnapped.

406 Posts

LOL maybe poor Johnny went to find a safer family! The poor little one eyed boy has had enough!

821 Posts

Yes, yes, yes… It is just hot dogg right now. And yes Ali sometimes over acts and phones it in. Yet like you I was happy with her today.

So all who are viewing, if you want to see good soap; watch Days!

Profile photo of SonnySprocketSonnySprocket
    56 Posts

I have been super happy with Days the month. I really like how all the stories overlap and everyone interacts with each other. For the past year or 2 it really felt like all of Sami’s scenes were either with Rafe or EJ. Will only had stuff with Chad or Gabi. But the scene earlier this week with John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Rafe, Will, Gabi, Sami, Roman all in the loft were great as well. Really well done. I am hoping for a really special group of holiday episodes. Dare I hope for a good old fashioned New Years Eve party like we used to get back in the day?

406 Posts

I feel like the characters were islanded for most of the last decade. I remember when Marlena and John did their own thing while their children lived totally seperate lives. Belle and Shawn barely knew they had parents even though they were on the screen on the same days. They simply interacted with Mimi and Phillip. That went on for years in that story line. And others. Only a few times in the last decade did anyone try to infuse a sense of family or community into Salem and its weirdly interbonded families.
    I am really responding to that now. I love scenes between generations. They enrich all the stories. Even if it is just a hug and reassuance sometimes like between Marlena and Will yesterday. BTW I thought Will hit those scenes out the park as well. I am glad to see that Marlena is a better grandmother than she was a mother lol!

Profile photo of harlee490harlee490
    957 Posts

Days is firing on all cylinders! The scenes between Sami & Marlena was dead on what soaps do best. The history comes in some way to move stories forward for the “new” story. I’m blown away how everything is starting to gel together and just pray people truly give Days a chance and move up in the ratings. The new ratings out is what scares me right now. This completely confuses me how Days is the soap to watch now but not getting the eyeballs. My fear Ken will abandon this direction and panic a go back to the sy-fy stories for ratings sake. I know being a new but I definitely become Ejole fan before Ejami. There are a lot of fans for both so this will be fun and fire up the rivalry between Sami & Nicole will be delicious. There is one portion of story I am confused and hope someone can help me out. If EJ is responsible for John’s problem “Bernie Madoff” story, how can they not discover EJ is the party responsible and not send EJ to jail? This story branches out as federal investigation. Someone will need to pay for the sins of the story? I’m afraid it will ruin EJ. The other thing is John’s memories are they going be a micro-chip BS, planted in John’s memory or brainwashed? Dear Lord I hope they don’t go there because it will ruin my enjoyment.

Someone else please help out…Who is Hope’s father? I might be wrong but was Hope raise by Alice & Julie? Was Addie Hope’s mother?

406 Posts

Doug Williams is Hope’s father. Before he was married to Julie, he married Addie and they had Hope. Addie was hit by a car and killed, saving Hope’s life. Although Alice had a hand in raising Hope (hehehe get it Raising Hope! Sorry), Doug actually did most of the raising. He had an apartment above his night club Dougs Place and that is where Hope was raised except when she went off to boarding school. Julie did help out with Hope’s raising but let Doug be the primary parent. Julie really was never very maternal!

the thoery of opposites
    406 Posts

Addie was not the best mother to Julie. She was very busy climbing the social/economic ladder to pay much attention to her kids. When she and her first husband Ben Olsen moved to Europe, she wanted Julie to go with her but Julie prefered to stay in Salem with her grandparents. They really were the ones who raised Julie the most. When Julie grew up, she eventually met Doug and they fell in love. He ended up marrying Addie instead. Julie moved on to other husbands and boyfriends but after four or five years, Julie and Doug reconciled and were married. Doug had raised Hope up to that point alone. She was played by this cute little actress Natasha Ryan. Then in the early 80s, they soras’d Hope to this rebelious teen. That didn’t work out so they sent her back to boarding school until they could find a different actress and a different point of view. Roman had become such a big deal, that they started making famiily for him. Bo came along and Hope showed up soon. The rich girl/rough biker story was created and the rest is history.

821 Posts

@Harlee: Because the Dimera’s have a history of being the best at doing bad deeds and being able to go about it unscathed for at lease up to year. Yet in this case, the last time John was there he has turned into Robo-John with whom was evil. During that time period after he left with Marlena in a hospital bed and returned he had no memory of the most recent past. This has long been a thread since John back in the 90’s had many identities and was once a pawn for Stefano with the microchip in his head.

395 Posts

I try to stay away from spoilers, but I’m so gripped by what I’m seeing on screen and eager to find out about what’s coming next that I went on Daytime Royalty and read their Days spoilers. I think we are going to be stunned by what Days has planned for the aftermath of the little Johnny “kidnapping” storyline.

406 Posts

Although I am very happy that Little Johnny is safe (this boy has been through enough. He atleast knows how to duck and cover. He will need that in the future), I would not have minded keeping the tension going for a while. I was hoping that maybe the boy was held for ransom and that it would cause a lot of caos.
    Smokin’ where those scenes between Sami and EJ! They just laid it all out there! EJ was especially mean hearted to put the blame on Sami. Especially KNOWING that he is atleast partially to blame! The kiss, I had seen in the prevue but was still a heck of a way to end their fight. Now they are gonna have sex (ofcourse it is EJ and Sami) and I know that Will will walk in and see it (that would probably have turned me gay had I not already been lol). BTW Will has been really knocking it out of the park showing his love concern and sadness about Johnny. His puffy eyes and general demeanor seem most appropriate for what is going on. Too many times, people don’t reach that deep into themselves to play a secondary part in a scene. Sami’s rage and emotions have been spot on too! I do feel sorry for Rafe though. The man needs to knock that girl out just one time and drag her into the cave. That is what she apparently wants. Some big guy that will man up! He is just too nice for Sami. But then Sami’s sister seems to be appreciating Rafe’s good points. Austin might have something to worry about.

Profile photo of Anonymous
    2899 Posts

When I first laid eyes on DOOL, it was way back when Marlena was levitated in mid-air and possessed by the devil, a storyline I despised so much that I stopped watching DOOL at that point. Fast forward to late September 2010 after ATWT went off of the air, I started watching DOOL again. I did not like what I was seeing, but I stuck it out. Finally after a lot of harping, Ken Corday finally got rid of Dena Hegley and a lot of excess cast members, hiring new head writers, new executive producers, brought fan favorites back home to Salem. And the fans patiently or impatiently waited for the DOOL 2.0 reboot in September. Ever since then, I’ve been loving this show!

Watching the scenes this week with the Brady Pub shoot-out, Johnny going missing, all of us realizing that EJ and Stefano were culpable in John’s “crimes” was pure entertainment and made excellent use of history. Take for instance, on Friday’s eppy (the 18th) when everyone was frantically searching for Johnny, I was pretty much in tears the entire episode. I was even in tears when Will and Rafe found Johnny at the Brady Pub.

The very, very raw and emotional scenes between James Scott as EJ and Alison Sweeney as Sami was almost too hard to watch. Both James and Alison have ratcheted up their game this fall and I would not be surprised to see them on the final Emmy ballot for the Daytime Emmy awards next summer (whether they’re even televised or not). If they aren’t, they were robbed. This has been top notch acting by both of these two. Actually, I think DOOL will probably rake in a lot of Emmy noms next year. The reboot has been beyond anyone’s expectations AND they’ve set the bar very high. Granted, there were a few minor hiccups but nothing that warranted people getting all up in arms about (unlike GH and YR for instance). We all know that Y&R has at least another 3 years, GH unfortunately will be gone at some point in 2012.

With all of that said, I’m ABSOLUTELY loving DOOL now. If you’re not watching it, you should! This show as someone pointed out earlier, is firing on all cylinders! I cannot wait to see what happens next!

Profile photo of harlee490harlee490
    957 Posts

@David & Mark, hey guys thanks for helping me out. I assumed Doug was Hope’s father who raised Hope…along with Gram & Julie. This mystery about Alice has me SOOOO intrigued and fun to actually have a soap mystery without doppleganer LOL. First, if what I know for Alice to keep quiet after decades it must be big involving Stefano…could there be Horton\Dimera “love child” and Alice & Tom only knew this and back then gave the child up for adoption? What you described about Addie, a very young Addie & Stefano affair?

The scenes involving Sami, with Rafe & EJ was explosive!! I actually feel sorry for Rafe. Days’ stories are intense and compelling and in hope they stay in this direction. This Susan Banks, ED will always be Ashley first to me (doesn’t do anything for me) I hope with Lisa De. coming aboard as EP means a signal they are going back into the ’90s style of writing because what they are doing now with the character driven stories are building into excellent soapy goodness. Robo-John story was very appealing in beginning and was enjoying the direction but with these memories he’s having and as David explained John’s mirco-chip implant…not sure what now the story is leading towards and with a new EP …fearful.

821 Posts

@Harlee: There could have been one. That would be the deal. In past Stefano revealed that his father use to be in love with a Brady and that it was the fault of the Brady’s that their relationship did work out and whatnot. So there could be this long lost child from that time period.

406 Posts

Harlee I have thought for a long time that there was a story about Addie, Ben, Steven , Stefano and Tony. My theory is that Tony and Steven (Ben and Addie’s son) were roomates in school. That is how in my world, the Dimera’s became involved with Salem. Steven could have introduced Liz Chandler (Tony’s first wife) to him as well as Anna Brady Dimera and even Kate. I am not sure about the idea of Addie and Stefano having a child though. The time period that something like that would have happened would have been in the 1960s. This child would be nearly 50 years old. Alice was making these payments in the 90s and 2000s. I do think there is a Horton/Dimera baby though. Just not sure who the parents are. Maybe Stefano and Hope….. or Jen and Peter Blake (Stefano’s adopted son)
    or some combo we are not aware of….

406 Posts

oh my goodness. I waited all weekend (and all day because I had to work) to find out what happened with EJ and Sami and Will. Those scenes (echoing what Deidre Hall said about those scenes) were absolutley amazing and some of the best scenes ever on Days. And the fact that there was not even a word said throughout the scenes made it even more potent. Soaps get very wordy sometimes (all the time) but I have found that some of my favorite scenes of all time on soaps are the ones with sparse or even no dialog. The emotions between EJ and Sami, the anger, the passion, the history. I could see every vile moment pass between them after they had sex. The rape, the child abduction, the lies about the children, the shooting. It was all there and they could barely look at eachother. Will reacting with shock and horror running outside to throw up and then stubling back to Rafe, the stable parent in his life and unable to say what he saw. Amazing and note worthy. It elevated this show to a differnt level.
    I was taken back to back in the day when Santa Barbara was can’t miss. This was can’t miss tv. And I KNOW the fallout from this will take these lives in new directions. I felt so bad for Rafe who is such a genuine guy. He has a viper by the tail and he isn’t capable of handling her.
    One funny point is, the idea that Johnny could have managed to hide out the way he did was head scratching to say the least. I think it is funny to hear people try to explain it and everyone just kinda going huh? Outside of that one point, Bravo for the story. Also a shout out to the twins who play Johnny. I just want to pinch their cheeks and they have good chemistry with all their many parents and brother. Unlike most kids on soaps, Johnny isn’t just window dressing. He actually helps sell the idea of this disfunctional family. His dialog is also top notch as far as kids go on soaps. He hits the emotional elements spot on. Just the way he asked Rafe if his mom is mad at him was perfect. Or he gets a surprised and happy look on his face when one of his parents walk in. Most of the time on soaps the kids line up and you nearly have to force them to say their line or treat the other actors as if they are related. Not Johnny. You KNOW who his mom and dad and even step parents and siblings are because he knows it. A winning performance for such a young child.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.