Forums Days of Our Lives Days of our Lives 2.0
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    406 Posts

I have just completed watching Tues. Days of our Lives. This show has become a big sloppy wet kiss from your grandma. I love it! Sentimental, loving, romantic, sweet to the nth degree. It is the only show out there doing this. The romantic in me, the one who believes in happily ever after, true love, santa claus and Jesus, is totally in love with the new format. I love that people are having conversations and singing grandma and grandpa Horton’s song and reading poetry from Mac Carey. I love that Everyone gets up and talks about their memories of the Hortons and what they meant to them. Sentimentality is an emotion and one that alot of people are not comfortable with. Maybe because it has been missused by the corporate world one too many times to sell us yet something else. But Days is giving us this warm fuzzy because the people who are here on screen and because the people who are behind the scenes believe in this show and ARE sentimental about it. From the EP who’s parents Ted and Betty Corday created this show to Bill and Susan Hayes who met and fell in love and married on the show, to Kristen, Christie, Alison, Missy, Peter who have all grown up on this show to Deidre and Drake who were made superstars by the show to people like Richard and Carolyn Culliton who have been writing soaps for 30 years, and the others who have enriched this show with their presence for years. I am also one of those people who have been with Days for all those years. I stared watching Days in 1972. I used to watch it with my grandfather. This show for me is a part of my life. I would spend part of my thanks givings and christmas’s when I was in school catching up with Salem since I couldn’t watch while I was at school. So sentimentality was a big part of my experience. The trimming of the tree and hanging of the ornaments, the prayer at the thanksgiving table or the occasional miracle on christmas day. Tom’s reading of the christmas story dressed as santa at the hospital. So for me every sloppy sweet moment that the show has given us the last three episodes is a huge warm hug from a beloved family member.
    I can not wait to see what the writing team has in store for us next. I hope they keep up the romance and family and close community. The town square is the perfect venue for this. It gives people a place to congregate and to catch up or even play out the nasty fight scene as we got to see today between Cloe and Kate! The square is really genius.

Thanks for the sweet and happy tears Days brought for me today from the poem to Doug and Julie singing Always to the lighting of the tree!

957 Posts

It is a huge bear hug and “sloppy wet” kiss as stated and I love the sentimental feeling DOOL’s is giving fans. It’s like wrapping up in a goose down comforter & snuggling up with family and friends. I realize that this week will be a reintroduction of family and connections through out Salem, personally I’m fine with this being a new viewer. I have a strong sense (from DOOL friends)connections and family and where they go with whom and where…but its nice to view the dynamic of actors and the chemistry. I as new viewer do appreciate this and stories are coming and why shouldn’t Ken, Greg, Noel pat themselves on the back and give a wink & nod for long time viewers with beautiful flashbacks and showing the re-connection as a community. The writers staff being led by Marlene & Darrell are as strong a writing staff has been in long time on soap. Sony, Ken & Co. are putting big bucks behind the camera to have such a well round team. I am simply loving everything and will enjoy the sentimental journey along with other viewers. It might be too hokey for some but I just like the simplicity about the direction.

Avatar of SonnySprocketSonnySprocket
    56 Posts

Liking it so far as well. There have been a couple of “lump in the throat” type moments. The production values look good so far. Liking the mix of characters. Every has had a moment so far. It will hopefully continue the good will for the remainder of the event this week. I would have really loved it if they would have cut in the flashback to this clip from 30 years ago of the whole Horton family at the time singing Always.

406 Posts

That would have been terrific Sonny. I was thinking of that scene and many others today. I miss that soaps don’t use singing more nowdays. It is sweet and romantic. All great loves have a song. Great moments have a song.
    Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree, speaks of the Iranian hostages and then for Desert Storm. Happy Days are here again, the election of Roosevelt etc. I think it is a great tool for soaps to inject special songs for its characters. That is why I would like to bring back Doug’s Place. Call it Doug and Julie’s place.

957 Posts

Mark good news and only the first day, my friend Shawn is friends on FB with Marlene Clark McPherson on FB friends with DAYS Co-HW Marlene Clark McPherson and here’s what she said about the overnight ratings for DAYS reboot:
    And away we go! Up 19% in household and in 18-49 we are up 43% from a month ago, 25% up from last week! We still have a ways to go – but we are off and running! Thank you to everyone who watched!!!! This is just the start of the first week and after the stories start kicking I look for a big jump in ratings.

406 Posts

Yippee! I think the ratings will keep rising as the week goes on. But that is very encouraging. Harlee do you realize that if the show keeps this up all week, they will be number 2 in the ratings….

56 Posts

I agree with you Mark about music. There was a time in the 70s and 80s were almost every soap had someone who was a night club singer. Days excelled at this with Doug, Jeri and Trish Clayton and of course Liz Chandler. So many great 80s moments were accompanied by a song from Liz. Gloria Loring’s version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is stunningly beautiful. I always hoped they would turn Chloe into the latest Days night club chanteuse.

957 Posts

Sweet news, huh! If Days continue to climb I think within a year DOOL could be at 3 and moving forward at 2. I honestly think with small increases each week and building BUZZ is the way to go to about rebuilding this soap. Shawn called me at work to tell me…lol. The music has been great on show and like Sonny said all the soaps always had night club singers. Tonya Perkins pre-AMC as Heather on ATWT was just that …night club singer and sang more on ATWT, then AMC, Michael Park, Eileen Fulton. This is how the whole story of the great Doug Marland penned the story of psycho Doug Cummings stalking Kim…he found out Kathryn Hayes use to be a club singer in NY & Las Vegas.

406 Posts

Speaking of music, I noticed at one point on Tuesday, but can not remember the exact scene when they were playing a rift on the Days theme song that I had not heard before. It was lovely. I remember everyone was hanging around infront of the tree.
    Anyway, I miss music being used in scenes in the background as well. I wish soaps would use that more.
    Y&R also used vocal music effectively for many years. I think Janice Lynde who played Leslie sang and then she went on to Another World and sang as Tracy Dewitt. I loved Tracy and always wished they had not killed her off. Some singers Bill Bell borrowed from Days. Robert Clary was on the show very very early on.Then Patty Weaver jumped shows in the 80s as Gina, Danny’s sister and has been there off and on. I always loved hearing her sing. Danny and Lauren and Traci then modernized the idea in the 80s by singing in concerts live,playing on Michael Damian’s growing career.

957 Posts

Yes the music was as important in many aspects. The mood of music set-up the scene and what the writers was trying to convey. Musically, just not singing but I can give a great example is Vincent I. aka David Hayward. Most people don’t realize because AMC never utilize this side of Vincent but on GL “Lujack” was involved with music and VI is superb pianist and played the piano quite few times. Ron Raines has amazing voice, which he sung on GL a few times around Christmas and when Ron came on as “Alan” they wrote his talent in show as Alan always secretly wanted pursue a career but Brandon forbade him and pushed Alan into the family business. Alexandra was the one that always knew of Alan’s talent. I can’t wait until next week’s ratings seeing the ratings for the first full week with no AMC and DOOL improvement. Got to ask if you read up on the writers? Pete T. Rich has 4 wins in writing with GL over almost 15 year period and 1 w\AMC, Nancy Williams Watt won twice for Outstanding Writing but nominated 8 times! She won 1 writers guild nominated 5 times. The connecting thread they have extensive background successes writing with Richard and Carolyn. Now, adding Marlene & Darrell being proteges JER and learning what JER did best was romance (pre-Days he was a co-H|W of GL early nineties)and leaving out the supernatural aspect out and grounding with seasoned, high caliber writers who know how to write traditional family drama as P&G ‘s (their bread and butter) in their prime. P&G took writers starting on one of their soaps had a period of training and schooling with top writers of their soaps, which Irna set-up back in the ’50s. That went away after MADD was fired. My glee from starting to watch DOOL is the writers and know how they write and knowing the stories is what makes me excited because I’m not one of super over the top type writing because it always takes away from the good story telling and loses the audiences.

the thoery of opposites
    406 Posts

My Harlee you did do your homework. I was familiar with and like the Cullitons work over the years. Both Watt and Rich seem to be very qualified to write. I hope that the writers didn’t pick up any of James Reilly’s bad habits though.
    I am truly excited to see what the writers are gonna do. I don’t know much about the stories coming up except that John is in big trouble and I am assuming that Abe and EJ are gonna run a heated mayorial campaign. Ofcourse I am expecting that Jack/Jen/Dr Daniel are gonna provide alot of angst and hopefully fun. Sami is getting a job with the new character Madison, who is selling her business to Titan. She is supposed to get involved with Brady I guess. I assume all these hints about Will not being comfortable with Gabi is leading to the gay story that was talked about. I hope so. Oh and I imagine we will have a nice wedding at some point for Victor and Maggie. Unless something happens to stop it… And I gues Bo and Hope’s story started today with the bank statements they found at Alices. They think blackmail but it could also be child support? A monthly payment and withdrawl sounds like child support to me. LOL I guess I know more than I thought. Oh yeah and in Dec. Kayla is coming back.
    What I am seeing as I look back on what I do know about the show is that it is being balanced and not everything is about EJ and Sami. Although I love these characters both, there is a whole canvas of characters that take a back seat daily to those two. I hope that will change.

957 Posts

Mark, yesterday I had read your one of comments on one the posts on Days, can’t find it now, I think what you was stating about bringing back the “Hortons” is a key element of rebuilding the show. Maria, hey MC is still alive, true veteran, along with Bill. It’s Tom & Alice’s children!!! It would give Jennifer & Mike a parent, Hope & Julie’s brother Steve(?) I was very intrigued, like you said it’s been a while and fall in between the ages of Julie & Hope…Shawn & I saw Tom Eplin in a recent Indie film, he still looks relatively good, touch of grey, “Jake” was always a butch SOB…yum but he can ACT. Shawn thought the characters you mentioned was spot on and Shawn said they need to recast Eric Brady its time and bring back Wayne as Roman. Like Shawn said Roman is now the patriarch of the Bradys and they need a strong Roman as Wayne and fans of Roman identify the part w\Wayne. You”re right about core families to steer the ship because look at the recent soap cancellations the core families were gutted years ago and viewers lost connections. Not many Martins, no Brents on AMC, few Hughes & Stewarts on ATWT, few Bauers, no Marlers on GL. Key to uplift the ratings is through the core family is what made DOOL (or any soap) to have that connection to the fan base.

406 Posts

Love Love Tom Elpin too. However he was on Another World not Days. I always thought Tom would make an excellent Dimera. Perhaps Stephano’s nephew from a never mentioned brother or other kind of relative.
    I am very intrigued by Steven Hope and Julie’s brother for two reasons. Steven was last played by Steven Schnetzer (Cass Winthrop from AW, GL and ATWT.) Plus he has been absent from Salem for a long time. In my imagination, Stephano has been forcing Steven to work for him in Europe all these years. He was (in my story) Tony Dimera’s roomate in boarding school and how Tony was introduced to his first wife Salem’s Liz Chandler. He used Steven to procure women and fine arts etc. That would also be how Kate and Anna Brady-Dimera came to know Stephano. I also have a great murder tie in to this story. Julie and Steven’s parents deaths were actually murders. And there is a bunch of missing treasure and money somewhere in Salem that Ben Olsen (Steven and Julie’s dad) took from Stephano. Anyway I think my story would give a plausible reason why Stephano came to Salem, why he has all these connections that seem nonsensical and why he stays. It also puts the Horton family in the forefront along with the Dimeras.
    I agree that the root families of soaps is part of the reason for their demise. They are why they were successful to start with and unless you replace them with equally great families (such as what Y&R did with the Abbotts and the Newmans, and to a degree what Days did with the Brady’s in the 80s), the show sinks. Family is the true core of soaps. Always was. Soaps without strong cores fall into disaray. And a core can not be the mafia! When soaps try to rush new families onto the scene, they usually fall flat. I prefer it when the show slowly adds a character and then builds a family around them one at a time (example Michael Baldwins family on Y&R). Will write more later on!

957 Posts

That is where I know Tom from…he was fabulous as Jake, now that rapist story-line of Marley was truly thought out and how it ate away within Jake, you know what seeing the pain of remorse and being punish internally is why fans could move on with Jake. Some of Bay City citizens never did forgive Jake even at the end there was underlining factor that wasn’t forgotten. SS is perfect for me…loved Cass and Shawn would pant over him. Shawn told me to tell you if they bring back a Dimera they need to figure how they can bring back Tony & Anna. He’s a HUGE of fan of those two. He said the difference between Tony and all the other siblings by Stefano, Tony was one of the children he raised and the connection regardless of fighting each other, there was a strange bond between both. Shawn said that always connected Stefano & Tony. It was a love\hate relationship. Shawn would like if Tony & Anna had at 1 child or even better 2 together it would change on how Stefano would react being a true Dimera heir. Like Shawn said it would put siblings rivalry between EJ & Tony and now Chad being something more like Tony…Shawn thinks Chad should be Tony & Anna’s son, Stefano knows the truth but wanted to pull him in the family. I think this mystery with Tom & Alice’s house is very Pam Longish type of mystery…Pete, Nancy & Carolyn worked under her regime and Pam Long could write some good mysteries, Who Shot Roger, Victoria Spaulding being Brandon’s daughter, Sonni\Solita saga, and the delicious Susan Piper played by the wonderful campy Carrie Nye. Loving this set-up and is the first story to get me hooked…..so far…stay tuned…LOL ;)

31 Posts

Hey guys, i saw ur thread (and the Tom Eplin headline) and thought i’d jump in..what do you think will happen with this James Scott departure? The timing is just awful, the cast was actually too good to be true. Possible recast??? I haven’t been a regular viewer of Days since a bit during the Alex North/Northrup return (saw some of Nicole’s miscarriage storyline w/EJ) but after just a few days of the re-boot i’m hooked again! And Stephen Schnetzer could make a good DiMera! No one will remember him as Julie bro back in the 70′s!

957 Posts

IOWAHAWKEYE, not sure there’s update now from SOD he’s back in talks. He’s the face and good enough actor and he has fan support. I’m new viewer and not wrapped up in his character. Days needs EJ on canvas and doesn’t work out between both parties Days will need to recast, I would think? I’m digging on the character of Nicole she is going to be fun. I absolutely hooked and it’s only getting better with the stories. Each episode is progressing nicely and I like the pace. Not as chaotic more natural dialogue is happening and making so much more of enjoyment to watch a soap again with good scripting and the way the actors are in sync with the dialogue. It shows in the performance. This is my kind of soap opera and me coming from CBS loves the type of story telling with well balance canvas. Let the party to begin!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :bigsmile:

Avatar of naughtytomatonaughtytomato
    110 Posts

Soap Opera Digest updated saying that talks are still ongoing so it might be pre-mature to panic. If he leaves it will be a big loss to the show James Scott has a lot of fans. I think the character will have to be re-cast. Stephano needs a heir.

I’m loving Days 2.0 also. We need the warm fuzzy’s after Higley’s horrible reign. I like that they are showing several people in a scene even before the big party. They had Sami & Rafe, Jennifer & Daniel, Victor and Maggie and even Vivian and Quinn out to dinner in the same scene. I like that they are having different characters interacting too. Safe & Dannifer in that scene, Sami & Jennifer in the job coaching scene.

The writing definitely better. I like the exchanges, they are character driven and make sense. They broke up Bricole in a way that I can understand, and I’m a Bricole fan. I’m a little disappointed, but ok, if they write EJ Nicole as a romance and I can somehow believe they fall for one another I can go with it.

I liked Wed shoe-Melanie and Sonny heart to heart, Brady & John’s strained reunion, Kate & Austin mentioning Billy & Chelsey referencing Alice and Maggie were the original two inventors in countess willimeena, EJ and Nicole snarking on each other.

Thurs show- Jack finally drops in on Jennifer. Love how they are writing Jack. Gives me hope for this triangle, could be fun. Plus Jack has champagne, double scotch neat and wine! OPEN BAR AT THE PARTY!
    Stephano arrives in a limo! Awesome, but I’m confused how that happened if its a domed square.
    Dimer’s snarking on Abe and everything.
    John & Marlena looking worried, have another reason for returning-maybe pension funds invested in Basic Black.
    EJ takes the podium and announces he’s running for Mayor. Every show is ending on a cliffhanger. Good buildup.

406 Posts

Harlee I have a story in my head that I bet Shawn would love. It is all about Tony and Anna’s daughter. When Tony was declared dead the first time Anna knew she was with child but scared to death that Stephano would find out. So she gives her baby to Liz and Neal Curtis. Liz was Tony’s first wife so noone would think that Anna would do such a thing. Over the years, Anna has played Auntie Mame to this girl laveshing her with gifts and dropping in and visiting her. They have a great relationship until she and Noel, Liz’s bio daughter show up in Salem. Noel is a doctor now and working at the hospital. Anna’s bio kid comes to town to live with her sister. She falls for Chad very quickly and they are all in love and want to be together. But Anna must stop it somehow. She does everything she can to stop Chad and her daughter (Chad’s neice) from being together. Eventually the truth has to come out. Ofcourse this puts a big strain on their formerly great relationship. How does that sound? Kinda reminds me of old Bill Bell story but it is an oldie but goodie.

957 Posts

Mark, Shawn LOVED your idea for story. He said in the day back in ’80s he was a die hard fan of Tony & Anna and wants TONY & ANNA back. I don’t know enough about the characters yet to even attempt on an idea, I just don’t know the history of the show. He is cooing the past week about DOOL…he’s in heaven and he stopped watching during JER 1st time at Days. He hated it but now he’s saying this is his DOOL he knows and loves growing up watching with his mom & grandma. That is how Shawn got started watching w\me CBS soaps and following in love with GL & ATWT. Shawn is the one that got me back watching AW again back in ’94. He still watched AW until the end. He wasn’t a big viewer of Santa Barbara just occasional viewer. Shawn hated Sun Set Beach & loathed Passions. He wasn’t a JER fan. Give credit where credit is due…JER was good writer when he was at GL, but P&G had an EX-IN-CHARGE then and probably made him follow P&G’s guidelines of their soaps. He could wrote wonderful romantic couples and triangles. When he was at GL he helped to write romances for Harley & Mallet, Elani\A-M\Frank, David\Kat, Bridget\Hart and that was a wonderful time on GL in couples and romance.

Back to DOOL, had a spell here LOL…like always when thinking of my “Light” I still get a warm, fuzzy feeling in my soul. The one story I think could work from a newer viewer standpoint is Jamey had awhile ago mention bring on Kelly & Jon Hensley on as “JT”‘s parents, well I think with Days pulling some of disenfranchised viewers over from AMC, I think that would be a great idea to bring a HUGE super couple of one of the P&G’s soaps to keeping drawing on the loyal viewers to stop in visit at Salem. The only difference in opinion with Jamey is I much rather them have Maura West & Michael Park be JT’s parents and have a different view on why they come to Salem. Make JT between 13-15 and they come to visit Bope to ask them if they would be tested for a bone marrow match. JT is sick and find out after all these years that JT is Bope’s child. Zach wasn’t Bope’s child and has a true connection to Bope. It could be a story of love and sacrifice on Bope’s part, knowing JT has been raised by these people and pondering what to do about custody issues. Let it go to the courts which could set dynamic tension between Maura & Hope. Hope has a female to play off of and Maura can play the hell out as female angst competitor. It sets up Hope vs Maura. Maura & Micheal could settle in and build the characters so they could be a main stay. They could have other children to add to young generations of Salem. CarJack was HUGE for P&G and would have CarJack lovers tune in to see their couple. Maura & Michael oozes chemistry as Bope. Days need to pull over disgruntled fans from other soaps to the “Salem welcome mat” to new viewers. Here’s a great snip-it of CarJack…this is what i’m saying about scripting …in P&G’s heyday their soaps were never like Dena’s repetitive plot dialogue…it was conversational and P&G was always in top form when it dialogue. Tell me what you think……?
    This shows the chemistry.

406 Posts

Thank Shawn for me! We have very similar taste in soaps apparently. Except for the Santa Barbara thing (I was a huge fan of Santa Barbara up till Marcy Walker and A Martinez left. It is not that they left but rather what the show refocused on totally changed the core of the show).
    I am very aware of Carly and Jack. Over the years I watched ATWT alot. I did not keep up with it as much in the last several years. I was a fan of the Marland years and even a few years after that. When the show kind of got off track then Hogan Sheffer took over I was pretty spotty on watching it. I tried again when the AW characters came on. I watched up an until they killed of Jake. That was awful that they did that. It was like canceling AW all over again. There were alot of characters on AW that would have seemlessly been introduced onto ATWT and GL as needed. Or not but killing off Vicky (unneccessary they could have had Ellen Wheeler play the role. That might have kept her from the GL debacle), then killing off Jake was a slap in the face. I stopped watching except just occasionally. It was on opposite Days here so it was pretty easy to quit.
    But I do like Michael and Maura. Michael is very funny and off beat. Maura is intense and focused as an actress. They do have alot of chemistry. I would rather them assume roles in a current family rather than have them playing JT’s parents. I feel that would be a very short term role for them.
    Maura could play Maggies daughter Melissa and Michael could be her ex Pete Jannings. I hated the first guy that played the role but Michael could make it his own. Melissa and Michael are Nate’s parents. If he comes back to town as is rumored, why not have them follow? Then Pete could try to win back Melissa.

957 Posts

Well my first full week and I have fallen in love w\Days, Mark. I’m honestly can’t wait for Monday, the stories are being aligned perfectly and Days has many NEW stories for this reboot. It’s not just a 1-2 stories but several, EJ entering mayor race, John being arrested, Austin knowing, Rafe making the arrest, Bope and mystery concerning the bank statements, why Jack was gone, arrival of Madison, Brady\John’s strained relationship, Maggie\Victor’s marriage (this will be grand), Will’s discovery is in place, EJ\Nicole flirtation is awesome, I loving the actress Arianne Zuker, same with Lindsay Harley knew nothing about them except their being on their soaps. The character of Nicole and I have formed an attachment already in the first week. I honestly thought it would take a month for to see to start warming up and understanding the dynamics, I’m this impressed in first week and I’m hooked. This is the type of soap I enjoy viewing and getting wrap up in the stories and connections because of how it’s being written. Looking forward purchasing some real state here in Salem for awhile.

56 Posts

Harlee, Welcome to the world of Days. Always glad to have a new viewer. I am a long time watcher and I am very happy so far with the new stories that have launched this past week. There was a little something for everyone it seems like. I was particularly worried that Maggie would get shoved to the back burner again but it seems like she will continue up front where she belongs. Should be more exciting times to come. I am impressed too that nothing has been leaked yet as to what Alice’s secret is. Hopefully it has a good payoff.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.