Forums Days of Our Lives DC is ignoring Days of our LIves
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    406 Posts

Daytime Confidential is totally ignoring Days of our Lives. There has barely been a mention of the show in the last month. The fans are all hyped in the forums spearheaded by Harlee490 keeping us posted on the Previews, and we are writing to each other about happenings. It was revealed last week that LUCAS did not shoot EJ but rather Will did it and even that did not get a comment from DC let alone an actual article. I KNOW that everyone is covering the OLTL ending and GH is the big news with it becoming OLTL 2.0 just like Guiding Light did in the early 80s when it became Texas 2.0 after Texas folded and it worked because the viewers came over to GL and it caused a Golden era of Guiding Light.
    I am sorry for the viewers of OLTL that it is going off the air and do empathize. However Days of our Lives is still on the air and doing its best to stay there. If this site wants to be viable, it will promote the four remaining shows. That includes Days. Otherwise there won’t be much to discuss on this site. I KNOW Jamie loves Days as much as I do but that certainly is not being reflected right now.

Avatar of SoapArmageddonSoapArmageddon
    391 Posts

I watched and enjoyed SOME of what I saw on OLTL, but often felt that the complete and utter devotion to it on DC went way overboard. I’m hoping Days can get some love now. At least until February when it’s going to be all about GH….sigh….

815 Posts

Well I was not moved or drawn into OLTL. But I have been moved and drawn into Days. So it is time to stop treating Days like the red-headed step child.

280 Posts

I agree. DAYS is great, and OLTL was not the only soap on the air for the past month, but you would’ve thought so. Maybe I’m just angry because I’d tried SEVERAL times to get into OLTL and I just found it to be an utter MESS. No disrespect, it just wasn’t my cup of pink lemonade. Meanwhile, other shows like DAYS got the silent treatment because there was so much OLTL worship going on.

Hopefully things will get back to normal with this site and all shows will be promoted equally….Even the bad ones…a soap is a soap :)

957 Posts

OH, hell Mark…LOL just got home and read this…sing it DOOL does need some love. :love:

406 Posts

There are several contributors to this site who are currently only watching one soap, which is Days. Some of us defected from Y&R until further notice. We got tired of B&B and never did watch ABC soaps. But this site has had exactly 3 articles about Days this month and mentioned briefly in a couple of times on air. That is since Christmas.
    There were certainly things to talk about.
    1 the extreme plung in ratings of 34-49 year old women.
    2 the current rebounding of ratings since christmas.
    3 the return of Lucas and Celeste.
    4 Will Horton and all the things he has been going through
    5 Bo and Hope going into couples therapy and openly exploring one of the most beloved marriages on daytime tv and doing so with great honesty and truth
    6 all the new couples that are forming and how it is changing the landscape of the show
    7 complaining about the pacing of the show
    8 praising the daily shows as entertaining and varied
    9 Two great guys Jack and Daniel, who are both honorable and supportive of eachother but inlove with a confused Jennifer
    10 Sami and Madison pulling one over on Kate!
    11 The underuse of a some of the cast Nicole, Maggie, Chad and Melanie.

Right now the forum is buzzing with all sorts of things but yet noone is covering it. Maybe with OLTL over, we could maybe get a few scraps of attention? Please?

391 Posts

harlee490, it warms my heart the way you have taken to Days. Your perspective as a new viewer is just as valuable as that of a veteran viewer like myself. You give me hope that this show can have a future if given a chance.

marknsprmo is expressing a sentiment that I have shared for the past year or so. It does become very frustrating when you feel that a show that is the second oldest soap still on the air, almost twice as old as B&B, just isn’t getting equal time.

957 Posts

SoapArmageddon, thank you for the kind words because I have fallen in love with Days. I have lived many many years at 1313 CBS Dr. and almost felt like I had moved to a new city and a bit lost in the new surroundings. Slowly but surely finding my sense of direction and discovering this “new, bright, shiny” (sports car ;) & EJ WOOF)city. I’m falling in love with characters having forming a stronger bond with some and others not as much but I’m discovering a smile on my face at the end and not rolling my eyes with “oh please” attitude of silliness filling the daytime genre right now. It’s like a charming place offering to me personally what I love about a soap opera, Community feeling, more ROMANCE is happening on Days right now then any soap. I love the coupling in Salem which has many compared to other soaps. Family drama always make good soap and family drama is the heart & soul of any soap and we are receiving in big doses with multi-generations interacting and communicating with family. Seeing more friendships being played out and right mixture of back-baiting, bitchiness, villainous, but not being overloaded. Mixture of good & bad citizens mixing it up and being played out evenly on the canvas. That’s what I enjoy about being a soap opera fanatic viewer. I so miss my rountine for 40 yrs (yes I’m 51, I know oldie) starting my day off going shopping at Fenmore’s, having martini & lunch at the Lakeview, antiquing in the Capitol and kicking back for some dessert at Company for the Cooper’s Baklava . ;) I used to love my days and being so entertained and feeling completely full afterwards….I’m finding that with Days ;)

957 Posts

Mark, I agree but hey with now the GH and the OLTL “guest appearing” I know GH will probably get most attention because of the creative team but their are alternatives for those other viewers and we here are showing the love in this thread, its all good because we as Salemites community can chat and show the love. You know I love communicating with back and forth through our emails, you & Shawn have help me get set up on history of characters, where you know more of the ’90s dynamic stories and characters compared to Shawn, he refused to watch his “show” and seeing his beloved Marlena wearing bad contacts and floating (his words not mine)walked away and didn’t look back until September. I thank you my friend for your help. So lets be positive because we as Days fans can communicate even if it is being ignored by others. Is Days perfect by no means but they are trying to do something positive. I have much respect and give them A for effort….I love NICOLE, my favorite soap diva on the dial…she ROCKS! We will end on a positive note!:love: Peace

406 Posts

Thanks Harlee! I also enjoy writing back and forth to you. I am only a few years younger than you and we have both seen alot with Soaps over the years and have remained loyal.

What I love about Days is something I give the credit to it’s EP Ken Corday. His contribution to the show is a look of this small capecod type town that has continued from day one with the Horton house. He has kept this small town feel for Days even when it had an international airport, you still didn’t feel like you were living in New York. Plus his loyalty to the cast and crew has been outstanding even though maybe it wasn’t always for the best ( Roman).
    The writers have no matter who they were, always tied the characters to eachother through family. There has always been this sense of continuation on the program. The Brady’s for instance have always lived next door to the Hortons although we really didn’t see one until 1982. The Roberts clan too have always been in Salem. We just didn’t get aquainted until 1991.
    These is something that is both a throwback to the old days of soap opera
    and is quite unique on soaps.
    Nowdays soap towns are larger and so many of the characters are unattached.
    Not with Salem. It is still the small city that it always was with families so intertwined that you need a map to keep up (try playing the game we play connecting characters to eachother. That couldn’t happen on GH.)
    Romance is the staple on Days and has only lost its way when it forgot the love. Since the first episode, we had a mix of mature love (Dr and Alice Horton) with younger more vollatile love (Marie and Tony Merritt). Now days we have Bo and Hope, John and Marlena, Maggie and Victor mixing it up with Melanie and Chad, and all kinds of possibilities of new love.
    Harlee, I totally love Nicole too! She is up there with the best on daytime

Did anyone catch the zingers she gave Daniel yesterday? I loved that she called him out on his penchant for falling in love with all his patients.

His zinger back well I didn’t fall in love with you!

Yeah but you didn’t fix me!

In fact that whole scene with Jack and Jen and Nicole and Daniel was gold.
    Daniels hurt looks as he looked on at Jack and Jen talking broke my heart. But then I wouldfeel the same thing if Jack was watching Daniel.
    I must say I liked Nicole in that mix. She gave the triangle a new angle…. Hmm maybe if she figures out what a skunk EJ is she could get her hooks into this triangle and move it along!

the thoery of opposites
    2 Posts

[quote=stoney07]I agree. DAYS is great, and OLTL was not the only soap on the air for the past month, but you would’ve thought so. Maybe I’m just angry because I’d tried SEVERAL times to get into OLTL and I just found it to be an utter MESS. No disrespect, it just wasn’t my cup of pink lemonade. Meanwhile, other shows like DAYS got the silent treatment because there was so much OLTL worship going on.

Hopefully things will get back to normal with this site and all shows will be promoted equally….Even the bad ones…a soap is a soap :)[/quote]

Your use of the word “worship” is dead on. When you worship something, you tend to do so blindly and at the expense of other things around you.

The god-like status given to OLTL’s dynamic duo is almost laughable if it weren’t so destructive to this genre. Their list of accomplishments include: 1) a rape victim sleeping with her rapist who then turns out to not be her rapist because another man comes back from the dead to assume his identity (a hot mess of misogyny and stupidity), 2) the shelving of the only gay story line on the show (but they are praised for their “diversity”) 3) turning female characters like Dorian into one dimensional shrews.

Now I am not denying that this duo had some highlights. They always focused on the core families. They excel with camp and how the show is almost written tongue in cheek knowing that their explanations of all of their return from deads are head scratchingly stupid. And to their credit, the misogyny took a nose dive in the past 18 months (some say a notorious female ghost writer is responsible) but to hail these two as saviors, to compare them with all time soap greats, is ludicrous.

The real future of this genre, if there is any, is to write believable and relatable stories that use these shows’ histories and pull old and new viewers in alike. It’s a shame ratings spike for crap like “the tale of the two todds” because I can almost guarantee that ludicrous stuff like that keeps so many viewers away. But in all of the praise and worship, the soap media has forgotten how to be objective, how to see the bigger picture. There was a time when this genre could afford to have one or two (out of the 19) soaps to be campy trash. But with only four left standing and one of those fatally wounded at best, it’s time for a return to true story telling. It’s time for the soap media to demand it instead of lapping up the drivel their dynamic “gods” dish out.

And as many have so eloquently pointed out, all of this worship has focused on a dying and now dead show…AT THE EXPENSE OF THE ONES LEFT.

17 Posts

In reading the OP, the issue is that DAYS hasn’t been mentioned in the past month? Am I getting that correctly?

If so, I think it is to be expected. A show that was loved by many has been cancelled and the efforts to save the show or celebrate the show should be documented. That is what is driving traffic right now (I assume).

I think some time should be given for this upheaval to calm down, in which case I am sure all shows will be discussed.

815 Posts

@thecourt99: I would argue that even as AMC, ATWT, and GL were coming to an end that there was still balance to other soaps. Even in their last month on air. OLTL was a special case where since everyone liked it, it was given more attention the other soaps. I liked when equal time was given to the other soaps in podcast no matter what their states. I would like it for it go back to that. Yet there is fear that if GH all of the sudden gets good again Day’s will be sidelined for that soap.

406 Posts

[quote=thecourt99]In reading the OP, the issue is that DAYS hasn’t been mentioned in the past month? Am I getting that correctly?

If so, I think it is to be expected. A show that was loved by many has been cancelled and the efforts to save the show or celebrate the show should be documented. That is what is driving traffic right now (I assume).

I think some time should be given for this upheaval to calm down, in which case I am sure all shows will be discussed.[/quote]

The issue is that it ONLY happened to Days and not the other soaps. Maybe there was an intent on the part of the team to deemphasize Days to build up the final ratings for OLTL because in many markets including my own, they are shown opposite eachother. So if Days is down in numbers, OLTL is up look how foolish ABC is in letting that show go. I am NOT trying to start something, it is just that I want to keep my show on the air as well. It is not fair to ignore Days of our Lives in this time period..
    Y&R, B&B, GH, other tv shows that are not soaps and webseries all had their share of articles. Days had 3 in one month (well it did have 2 yesterday after I posted my complaint.)
    Please do not yell at me and tell me if I don’t like it to find another site. I Love DC and am a staunch believer in the group and what it is and has accomplished.

Avatar of liason4realliason4real
    299 Posts

Marknsprmo… This OLTL fan is not going to yell at you! I just assumed that all of the OLTL mentions on DC had to do with the show coming to an end, and nothing more. I never fully understood why there was a GH recap done by Perkie, but nothing for the other soaps? OLTL had someone doing recaps for several months and then the person had to leave.

Here’s hoping that you see more mentions of DOOL while I go grieve for OLTL!

406 Posts

liason4real, I do empathize with your pain and anger about losing OLTL. Believe me, I have been an NBC viewer for almost 40 years. I lost my first soap Sommerset, when I was 13. I used to run home every day from the school bus to catch the last 15 to 20 minutes of the show. This girl and I used to discuss Sommerset on the bus every day. Then I would get home and see all my beloved characters. Until that fatefull day in 1976 when it was cancelled. Then several other shows I watched got canceled. In 1982, I lost 2 shows in one day. The Doctors which by that point I had been watching for ten years, and Texas which I still have all the affection in the world for got canceled. I still miss Texas even now, and I have formulated a revival for the Doctors that I believe would be a big hit.
    Then my beloved Santa Barbara was torn apart by bad choices and then cancelled. But the one that broke my heart and still does, Another World was canceled in 1999. I still to this day go online to websites honoring Another World nearly on a daily basis. (Honorable mentions to Lovers and Friends, How to Survive a Marriage, Return to Peyton Place, Guiding Light, As The World Turns, Capitol, Search For Tomorrow and Ryan’s Hope)
    So believe me I hold no grudge for you and share your sorrow. I don’t begrudge one article written about OLTL of the amount of time and effort that has gone into trying to salvage the show. I truly wish that it had been saved!
    I just don’t want to lose my last show. I went from 4 hours of soaps a day at one point to 1. I need to save this last one somehow.

125 Posts

I agree with this & I am loving DAYS right now.

Here’s a suggestion: How about you write a daily recap for Days, mark? A sort of put your money where your mouth is, hehe. (Plus I just really love reading recaps & I think you’d be great at it).

And to whomever mentioned it above (sorry can’t scroll up as I have replied to marknsprmo): DC doesn’t have other soap recaps b/c no one is volunteering to do them (as far as I can tell). I used to love reading sonyab1974′s AMC recaps, but she only did them in the forums as postings like this one, and I know for a fact DC asked her if she’d like to do them for the main page, but she preferred to do them in the more low-key way that she had been. So, all this is to say that I do not believe that DC is *deliberately* withholding articles or recaps of other soaps from its viewing public, I just think that no one has stepped up & taken on the responsibility of doing one themselves. I am sure if someone said to DC that they wanted to do a daily DAYS recap (or any of the remaining soaps, COME ON sonyab1974, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO DO ONE FOR Y&R! *wink, wink*), that DC would be willing to give them a try b/c there is DEFINITELY a “market” out there for it. Perkie’s GH recaps are still one of the highest viewed & commented on pieces here at DC (I know I read EVERY one & I freakin’ hate GH).

(P.S. mark: If daily is too much of a commitment, how about weekly? You can tell I really want you to do this). ;0)

Avatar of Scooter SmithScooter Smith
    26 Posts

I was doing oltl recaps for a while until I got into my grad program. Now that I am all done, I wouldn’t mind doing a daily recap of days. Problem is my recaps included my own spin on what I saw and my theories. But dc wants their recaps to be clinical and simple. I think that is why sonyab kept her recaps on the forums too. If I was allowed to do my opinionated recaps, I would start tomorrow.

However, I will say that I have seen a number of articles about will/chandler, and casting news about days on dc. I don’t think they are ignoring or snubbing it. They are just getting buried by the multitude of stories about the end of oltl and the blastoff of gh 7.0.

125 Posts

You are probably right on that front, mark… but Perkie definitely puts her opinion in there a bit & that is why I keep coming back b/c she is funny, and its the same with sonyab.

SOO, since you said you’d start tomorrow, how about it?! How about doing something like sonyab did & just do it here in the forums to start with & once you’ve got some under your belt, see if DC will ask you to move it to the main page on their own accord, and if they don’t, well, we’ll still get to read your wonderful, opinionated recaps regardless. (How’s your bread sir, has it been buttered enough for ya?!) ;)

17 Posts

[quote=marknsprmo][quote=thecourt99]In reading the OP, the issue is that DAYS hasn’t been mentioned in the past month? Am I getting that correctly?

I think some time should be given for this upheaval to calm down, in which case I am sure all shows will be discussed.[/quote]

The issue is that it ONLY happened to Days and not the other soaps. Maybe there was an intent on the part of the team to deemphasize Days to build up the final ratings for OLTL because in many markets including my own, they are shown opposite eachother. So if Days is down in numbers, OLTL is up look how foolish ABC is in letting that show go. I am NOT trying to start something, it is just that I want to keep my show on the air as well. It is not fair to ignore Days of our Lives in this time period..
    Y&R, B&B, GH, other tv shows that are not soaps and webseries all had their share of articles. Days had 3 in one month (well it did have 2 yesterday after I posted my complaint.)
    Please do not yell at me and tell me if I don’t like it to find another site. I Love DC and am a staunch believer in the group and what it is and has accomplished.[/quote]

I wanted to address this since I was quoted. I did not intend to yell at you nor did I imply that you should find another site. I am not sure if that was directed at me, but I wanted to be clear.

I had made the assumption that since we were in the last days of OLTL, that the focus would be on OLTL. Can you tell me how many articles were about Y&R, B&B, and GH (other than the recaps?) in that same period of time. Is DAYS the only one that is perceived to be slighted? Not that I can’t count, but its better if the counts came from the same criterion and source.

406 Posts

To Thecourt99, I didn’t intend to imply that wou were holloring at me or telling me to find another site. I have just seen others who disagree with what someone is saying do that to people and I wanted to nip that in the bud! Sorry if I made it sound like you were doing that. I do welcome debate and discussion. I don’t want to be yelled at or driven away. What you said was fine.
    LOL I did recount everyone from 12/26 – to 1/13 when I made the complaint.
    I did not include top ten counts, or best/worst show stories since they do not exactly favor one show over another except as people’s opinions.
    GH had 18 articles
    Y&R had 10
    OLTL had 16 articles
    AMC had 2
    B&B had 2
    and sorry I miscounted Days had 4

As far as the suggestion that I take on recapping Days, Thanks for the vote. When soap net goes off the air, I will only get to see days 2 days a week on tv. I could watch the other eps on the internet. I wouldn’t mind doing such a thing. How would I go about it?

391 Posts

I don’t really begrudge the attention given to all things OLTL on this site. The operators of the site are entitled to push and promote who they like; but I would love to listen to an interview with the new writers and EP of Days. At least their show is guaranteed survival for the next year or so.

957 Posts

[quote=SoapArmageddon]I don’t really begrudge the attention given to all things OLTL on this site. The operators of the site are entitled to push and promote who they like; but I would love to listen to an interview with the new writers and EP of Days. At least their show is guaranteed survival for the next year or so.[/quote]

I second that in a big way, go for it gang!! That would be awesome.

125 Posts

Oooo, mark, my Twin! You’ve got me all super excited about this!!!!

Okay, so do what sonyab did & everyday (or twice a week if you prefer) create a new forum comment with Mark’s DAYS Recaps as the subject, that way we can easily find you!

I am currently out of the country, so I watch ALL my shows online.
    I am subscribed to Daysofourlivesonline’s Youtube Channel & I love her b/c she is always up-to-date, posts HIGH quality vids, AND the best part is that she posts the *entire* DOOL episode as one vid (which is awesome b/c there are no parts 1-4 that you have to look out for).

http://www.youtube.com/user/Daysofourlivesonline

I cannot wait for this to happen!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! ;)

Let me know if you need anything else! You have my support 100%!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.