Forums General Hospital GH- Carly Corinthos
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of soapcrazysoapcrazy
    55 Posts

I must say that I am loving the Carly and Shawn scenes. But Carly by herself is also good. I am not sure I want her with anyone romantically right now. Laura Wright is knocking her scenes out of the park lately. It’s like LW is saying that Carly can do bad all by herself and she does not need Sonny or Jax to be important and relevant. What do you all think, Does Carly need a romantic pairing right now? Or should she have one now just so LW won’t be fired like RH because apparently, if rumours are to be believed, a GH woman character needs a man to be on the show?

Note: I refuse to acknowledge the Carly and Jax marriage that’s why the “Jacks” last name was not included in the subject line. I dislike her with Jax. Jocelyn does not exist either. I’ll accept Carly’s children with Sonny and AJ; and in the future with Jason. Jarly Forever!

Profile photo of EricasEvilTwinEricasEvilTwin
    1037 Posts

I said this the other day to a friend…I would love to see them recast Ned – go just a touch younger perhaps – maybe someone like the guy that played miles lawerence on OLTL or even if they dont use him for a recast ric maybe matt walton and put carly with Ned in the mansion after something torrid with Shawn. Having carly interacting with luke, edward, tracy, snarky brooklyn as her future potential step daughter, moving morgan into that house – he could eventually be a little aged and then you have michael watching morgan inherit what should be HIS q birthright. That would be the surest way to get more interest on that side of the canvas plus if Laura came back Carly hates laura so I could see her having a truce with tracy LOL.

Profile photo of beans4metoobeans4metoo
    65 Posts

Soapcrazy- Finally I have found another Jason/Carly fan!

I love Carly. I must say that she is one of my alltime favorite soap opera female characters. I love her even (and sometimes especially) when she’s being bad. I LOVED Sarah Brown as Carly but I also really like Laura Wright. Now, I DO love Carly with Jax. BUT I will always stand by my belief that JASON IS THE LOVE OF CARLY’S LIFE. I loved Carly and Jason together when Sarah was on the show. I hated how Carly broke his heart by sleeping with Sonny. I KNOW that Jason loves Carly and will not be with her because he knows she would wreck him. Jason has always put Carly and Michael first and I hope that someday TPTB at GH will put Jason and Carly together and reveal that JASON is Michael’s father!

Profile photo of Anonymous
    2899 Posts

I just finished watching yesterday’s episode. I couldn’t get into it last night.
    Did Carly knock the ball out of the park when she went to Sonny and said the facts about Brenda standing still in time???
    About Brenda not having anything??

Then when you seen her running into Jason’s arms all excited, one has to think: How old is she??

Carly only told Sonny what Brenda has already told him herself. She told him she never moved forward, that she stopped in time when they split up. So what is Carly’s point? Just more babble about how Sonny can’t marry Brenda. I personally don’t care whether he does or not. Like Luke said….either let Sonny go, or if you want him back take him! Just stop having LW say the same thing day in and day out!!

1037 Posts

Marg the point isnt that Carly was telling sonny something that was some big revealation, just that she was telling him something that he should be seeing but is refusing to. If Brenda is stopped in time – I guess to the time when she drove her car off the cliff – that makes her emotionally a 20 something girl. Most 20 year olds arent going to be able to cope with Sonny’s life – look at how Carly cracked from the pressure. The difference was/is that Sonny knew he could pull carly out of it, that she wouldnt break completely, and that she could always pull him out of any darkness he found his way into. Brenda cant do that for him, she cant fight her way out of an emotional hell or pull him out of one because she hasnt developed enough on her own…and when she breaks which is what Carly thinks will happen, sonny will spiral out and then what? Who will be responsible for that mess when it happens. She is saying that she knows it will be her and Jason and she is not sure if she has the emotional reserve for it given what is going on with her kids and her marriage.

I did find it interesting though – if the love of sonnys life is brenda the way he claims it is, why does his best friend Luke think Carly could snap her fingers and reclaim him? I think Sonny is trying to be with brenda because nothing else has worked to get over Carly and carly has or had moved on with jax. If carly said dont marry brenda, sonny would still walk down the aisle to prove to her he could walk away from her, but a month or two down the road he would be at Carlys door.

2899 Posts

[quote=EricasEvilTwin]Marg the point isnt that Carly was telling sonny something that was some big revealation, just that she was telling him something that he should be seeing but is refusing to. If Brenda is stopped in time – I guess to the time when she drove her car off the cliff – that makes her emotionally a 20 something girl. Most 20 year olds arent going to be able to cope with Sonny’s life – look at how Carly cracked from the pressure. The difference was/is that Sonny knew he could pull carly out of it, that she wouldnt break completely, and that she could always pull him out of any darkness he found his way into. Brenda cant do that for him, she cant fight her way out of an emotional hell or pull him out of one because she hasnt developed enough on her own…and when she breaks which is what Carly thinks will happen, sonny will spiral out and then what? Who will be responsible for that mess when it happens. She is saying that she knows it will be her and Jason and she is not sure if she has the emotional reserve for it given what is going on with her kids and her marriage.[/quote]

BRAVO!!!!! You are one of the few who truly understand this situation.

65 Posts

Great post EET. You described it exactly right.
    Sonny and Brenda are living in the past (the romanticized past) and are completely overlooking the reason that they COULDN’T stay together to begin with. Brenda was NEVER able to handle Sonny’s lifestyle and business. They fought over it constantly and it was what in the end kept them from being together. It was just not WHO BRENDA WAS to be the mob wife. Carly on the other hand has had no problem living that lifestyle and in times has embraced it (Tamara Braun showing up at the 5 families meeting with a baseball bat!). And Brenda has never been strong enough to handle Sonny (lifestyle, business, his severe mental depression) because BRENDA is not emotionally strong herself. That’s what I’ve been saying all along when others have been posting that this Brenda is not the Brenda from the past. Okay, maybe Brenda before was more fiesty and stood her ground more but go back and explore Brenda over the years and she has never really been mentally stable. Even before thinking she had her mothers insanity gene, she was prone to hysterics and had a nervous breakdown at her photo shoot. She was never mentally and emotionally strong enough to handle Sonny’s lifestyle whereas Carly always has been able to.

And Carly is RIGHT to point out that it will be her and Jason that are left to “fix” Sonny again. It has always been Carly and Jason to pick Sonny up from his latest disaster. Sonny’s main guilt issue is hurting those that he loves. When it doesn’t work out with Brenda, or he hurts her it will destroy him and Carly and Jason will be left to take care of him.

So, I don’t buy that Sonny and Brenda have spent all these years pining for each other. I truly believe that each had moved on to love others but that they are stuck in the “what if” of romanticizing their past to be something it wasn’t and trying to capture what could have been. But they will never be able to because they are both emotionally weak people who will only wreck each other. Sonny needs a strong woman like Carly who is able to withstand what he is inevitably going to put the woman in his life through. Brenda has never been or will never be able to handle Sonny. Regardless of if she is stuck in time to her 20’s or not, she is not the type of woman who can handle loving Sonny for the long run.

Profile photo of GHfan-4nowGHfan-4now
    272 Posts

[quote] So, I don’t buy that Sonny and Brenda have spent all these years pining for each other. I truly believe that each had moved on to love others but that they are stuck in the “what if” of romanticizing their past to be something it wasn’t and trying to capture what could have been. [/quote]

Beans, you’ve pretty much described exactly why this former Sonny/Brenda FANATIC is not buying this couple the second time around. It’s too unrealistic and contrived. Had this been maybe ten years ago, before all of Sonny’s women and children, I would buy it. But there have been too many women in and out of the mans life for me to sit back and say, realistically, that Brenda is the one true love of his life. Sorry TPTB, not buying it this late in the game. I mean, he married Carly FOUR times. Why, because he just liked her a lot and she looked pretty when she slept??? No, I don’t think so, and I actually resent the show for trying to sell me on this relationship, as is, this time around. They didn’t let it happen naturally and her constant back and forth for months, no-yes-no-yes-I don’t know-maybe-no, and so on, then her suddenly dating him and accepting his proposal didn’t help in the least. And for me, the chemistry just isn’t there anymore, due in part to what you said above, that they “moved on”.

65 Posts

GHfan4now- I think you hit it right on the head.. IF it had been about 10 years or so ago BEFORE so much else happened with each of the characters then MAYBE. But instead, TPTB are RE-WRITING history. We have already seen both Sonny and Brenda evolve from each other. As you said, Sonny married Carly FOUR times and we had Sonny/Carly pushed down our throats as the supercouple and the loves of each others lives. TPTB STILL push S&C down our throats and show that they are still in love by having her constantly get his back and sleep with him behind Jax’s back. Heck, I’ve been waiting for years for them to put S & C back together because thats the way its been written, that it will eventually happen.

As far as Brenda, I’ve said it before, the last TWO times she was on the show she was either marrying, in love with, or trying to keep herself from wrecking him because she loved JAX. She had moved on from Sonny the last time she was to marry Jax and in her words was “head over heels in love” with JAX. Even this time when Brenda came back there were a few scenes that IMO showed us that she still had feelings for Jax but finally realized how much he loves Carly and that bothered her.

I think that the mistake was in writing it that S & B have loved only each other and been pining for each other all of these years. Instead, they could’ve as you said, let it happen naturally and brought her back and took their time and made Sonny and Brenda fall in love again. MAYBE then I would’ve bought it, but not like this. And if its a matter of timing with VMG’s contract, then my motto is IF YOU CAN’T DO IT RIGHT, THEN DON’T BRING HER BACK ON!

the thoery of opposites
    272 Posts

PREACH, Beans! Just PREACH! I truly couldn’t have said any of that better myself.

65 Posts

Thanks Ghfan-4now…lol :beer: :beer: :beer:

2899 Posts

Wasn’t that a great post by EET? How could someone not understand the situation after reading that?? :)

Profile photo of CarlyCfanCarlyCfan
    47 Posts

You guys are AMAZING. The writers are actually doing S&B a disservice by re-writing history. We SAW them move on from each other, the last time Brenda was on Sonny made it clear that he really loved Carly, to quote him: “Carly IS my life”. But now they’re trying to sell to us that everywoman in his life including Carly were only placeholder for Brenduh?? Whether or not you loved CarSon you can NOT deny that Sonny was crazy about Carly. And unlike the current S&B love-story it was shown to us why they loved each other, now we’re TOLD that S&B love each other but they’re not SHOWING us why?

272 Posts

I’d say I liked a majority of Sonny’s parings, with a few exceptions: Hannah because she was boring as hell, and that blip with that Angel girl who always dressed in white. I wasn’t a fan of him and Claire, because they dumbed her down to suit his needs. But I was a super fan of him and Carly. When he and SJB first got together, I thought, ‘oh boy, they’re challenging my Sonny/Brenda love here’ because SJB and MB had SUCH chemistry onscreen. I became a CarSon fan like that. We all know he loved Brenda back in the day–we’ve been beat over the head with it–but that love was a man in love with a girl. Times have changed, and so have we. Now I admit, I thought MB and VMG had that same flirty chemistry when she returned in 02, but they also weren’t trying to force-feed us a contrived relationship, while telling us that Sonny/Brenda were still so in LURVE with each other and had never really loved anyone else the same way. Yeah. Right. Like beans mentioned earlier, Brenda was all in love with Jax last time she hit town so her insta-love with Sonny again makes no sense this time around.

IMHO, they should have left Sonny/Brenda at this Goodbye and been done with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coeT3n31UL8

The words from his own mouth: “You were right, you were a girl, I was a man, I should have known better.” That line right there speaks volumes today.

1037 Posts

But I am not sure she loves Jax either. I think Jax was always the back up guy that she eventually loved because he was the healthier choice and he was willing to commit to eternally putting her back together. Problem was that when it came down to it, he wasnt willing to let her make him her safety net. Honestly though I think Jax and brenda kind of deserve each other. Theres a lot bad to be said about carly and sonny but they made a committment to each other and have seen it through whenever it really mattered with – in my mind – own one glaring exception. I dont think Jax and brenda are capable of that kind of bond with someone – I dont think they have the depth. Sonny wouldnt need to be told not to leave town after michael and morgan had a bus accident – he KNOWS what Carly needs and how she is warts and all and visa versa. Its amazing to me that brenda hasnt once considered the substance of what Carly is saying about sonny – that she hasnt once wanted to talk about Sonnys bi polar issues and how her issues might play into that or what would happen to him if she got hurt.

272 Posts

[quote] Its amazing to me that brenda hasnt once considered the substance of what Carly is saying about sonny – that she hasnt once wanted to talk about Sonnys bi polar issues and how her issues might play into that or what would happen to him if she got hurt. [/quote]

The above statement speaks volumes. This version of Brenda reminds me of one of my former best friends. There’s a reason we don’t speak anymore. She’s flighty, flippy, dippy, doe-eyed, and thinks bad things only happen to people on TV. I was in a car accident last year and when I told her about it, no lie, she shrugged and stated talking about the volume in her hair. Now, I was perfectly fine when all was said and done, but it amazed me that this ‘friend’ was more concerened with the bounce in her hair than anything else. Bottom line, this girl lives in a world of cotton candy and rainbows. The sun is always shining, the birds are always chirping, the air is fresh and clean, breath never smells, teeth are always white, and the love of your life has never loved anyone but you. That’s fine to an extent, but eventually, you have to wake the hell up.

Brenda Barrett is living in a fantasy world with Sonny. Well, what happens when the fantasy is over, girlfriend? When the guests are gone, the flowers are put away or tossed out, and the real life starts with a man who you know, you KNOW, has personal issues galore? He’s in the mob and he’s bipolar. Well, what happens when he forgets to take his medication, or chooses not to do it??? You’ve witnessed his outbursts in the past and you couldn’t deal then because we all know you had your own issues to deal with as well. He went off on you for wearing a wire, dumped you at the alter to ‘save you’, and no matter how much you pleaded and pleaded, he STILL left you. Brenda’s ignoring the issues, ignoring the potential setbacks and problems that will no doubt arise during their marriage. But I guess it doesn’t matter because the message they’re trying to sell us is that true love will win out. They’re trying to sell us a fairytale, but it’s hard to do that when we fans know that at the end of this fairytale, Cinderella breaks her other glass slipper.

It would have done the writers justice if they actually had Sonny/Brenda discussing his mental health, and hers. At least then we could look at this more like a real relationship that annoyed us, rather than a fantasy one that just annoyed us.

That said, I don’t think she loves anybody but herself these days. They’ve written her like some selfish teeny-bopper and I can’t help but think of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka when I see her. I want it now, now, NOW!

2899 Posts

In keeping strictly to the forum question, “Does Carly really need a man to survive (sic),” I’d like to pretend that the Brenda return didn’t even happen; to just leave VMG out of the picture completely (Carjax was falling apart on it’s own, anway–and about damn time, too). Caroline does not need a man,and I’m hoping that she and Jax don’t play nice during the divorce. Let her see herself as a businesswoman first, and rip Jax’s half of the Metrocourt right out from under him! Maybe if Carly came more into her own in business, she wouldn’t be so meddlesome. There’s plenty of room for growth there. As far as her love life goes, please don’t revisit the past. Four times with Sonny is enough. Besides, GH Needs more balanced storylines, and sorry to say, but I want MB to have a little less screen time, not more! I’m interested in a chem-test with Shawn.

2899 Posts

In keeping strictly to the forum question, “Does Carly really need a man to survive (sic),” I’d like to pretend that the Brenda return didn’t even happen; to just leave VMG out of the picture completely (Carjax was falling apart on it’s own, anway–and about damn time, too). Caroline does not need a man,and I’m hoping that she and Jax don’t play nice during the divorce. Let her see herself as a businesswoman first, and rip Jax’s half of the Metrocourt right out from under him! Maybe if Carly came more into her own in business, she wouldn’t be so meddlesome. There’s plenty of room for growth there. As far as her love life goes, please don’t revisit the past. Four times with Sonny is enough. Besides, GH Needs more balanced storylines, and sorry to say, but I want MB to have a little less screen time, not more! I’m interested in a chem-test with Shawn.

1037 Posts

Tamela LOL we did get off track didnt we. I think that happens when two characters stories become so intertwined like Carly and Brenda, who essentially are flitting between the two same men. I like the idea of carly and shaun in the short term, but the problem I see is that he is yet another islanded character. That was really the initial problem with sam which is why they made her a Cassadine. Unless he turns out to be some distant ward/Q, I think long term I would rather see her with someone relevant to the canvas. I love the idea of Carly getting the whole MC – maybe Luke can help her steal it or Nik since he still should own a small percentage.

Fan4 now – OMG I cant believe your “friend” – she reminds me of the last episode of Criminal Minds and thats not a good thing. The perp was this crazy woman who couldnt stand people talking about anything that wasnt her. Doesnt it also slay you that brenda hasnt asked robin peep about lisa. Old Brenda would have handed Lisa her ass. She was fragile, but she was also fierce when her friends needed her. Say what you will about carly, if Lisa was trying to get over on Courtney, Carly would have thrown down with her at Jakes. If I had to choose one for my bestie, I would take carly in a heartbeat.

2899 Posts

I thought the bride was suppose to be the most beautiful at the wedding?

Carly – WOO HOO!! You looked fantastic!! You do not need a man to complete you. Get some confidence, stop your insecurites because you “got it going”
    Sorry Brenduh fans, but I have to say what is on my mind.
    Brenduh in her wedding dress didn’t hold a candle to Carly.

I did like the bridesmaid’s dress’s alot. As well as their hair and accessories.

2899 Posts

I didn’t want to say it that way, but yeah, that was some rant! I figure it this way: VMG signed a one year contract, and she was written a certain way because TPTB envisioned a bald guy who could do accents. Even though it would have been much more organic and in keeping with GH history, I see how it wasn’t possible for the writers to pull a Jax/Brenda romance out of their ass and have it fit with with Baldy. Anyway, it’s almost over, and I’m hopeful about Carly’s future without Brenda (or Jax), as well as other plot lines, too.

1037 Posts

OMG YES isnt it sad that DB cannot do those accents to save his life? I always want to smack someone on the head everytime they hear him and have to pretend they dont recognize the voice LOL

I think they are going to give Jenda a backstory around the time of the MC carson sex since that fits the baby timeline.

As I said before the choice I would have made for the Balkan would have been Kate. I would have made her Alexanders cousin and the original Balkan was trevor. While ric inherited his fathers legal assets, Kate “inherited” his organization and by that time she had been dumped by sonny and decided to use her new found base to become powerful enough to take him down. her cousin use to rep. anthony’s interests in Italy and thats how he met brenda. That version would have also opened up a door to rics return – maybe he had partnered with kate or maybe he was working to stop kate and finally earn his brothers love.

2899 Posts

Wow, Erica! Kate as the Balkan? That’s damn good. Ah, Ric Lansing. Rick Hearst is one of the very best actors in daytime. GH really shot itself in the foot on that one. Tell you what. Call CBS. Tell ‘em we wanna trade. In exchange for Rick Hearst we got a Bob Guza’s “muse,” a computer hacker turned author, and a bored, brooding heir living in a crappy castle (included in the deal).

1037 Posts

Tamela they would have to give us back SJB in that deal too!! LOL I want a The Girl Who Played With Fire meets franco as Benajmin Linus story for Claudia too! And if they throw in TR back as robert to be Sams father I would gladly pay the postage. 8) :star:

Profile photo of ahanshewahanshew
    353 Posts

tamela and EET – A girl can only dream, right? So much talent wasted.

55 Posts

beans4metoo writes:
    “Soapcrazy- Finally I have found another Jason/Carly fan!”

good to meet u too! JARLY forever! Even if JaSam don’t break up, I want Carly and Jason to have secret affair. I’ll take it ’cause I know it will be hot and torrid. When the reveal comes that Jake is not Jason’s son,(that boy is Lucky’s) then Carly can comfort him, forget Sam. The only woman I’ll accept Jason having child with is Carly.

55 Posts

[quote=JAQ]I thought the bride was suppose to be the most beautiful at the wedding?

Carly – WOO HOO!! You looked fantastic!! You do not need a man to complete you. Get some confidence, stop your insecurites because you “got it going”
    Sorry Brenduh fans, but I have to say what is on my mind.
    Brenduh in her wedding dress didn’t hold a candle to Carly.

I did like the bridesmaid’s dress’s alot. As well as their hair and accessories.[/quote]

Soapcrazy writes:
    You’re right, that dress of Carly’s in the previews was awesome. You know Carly out shine the bride on purpose. And I would too if I hated the bride.

I totally get what you all are saying about Brenda and Sonny being stuck in time about their romance over 15 yrs ago. But it is realistic in a sense. How many of us don’t become nostalgic about a time in our lives when love was pure and true and wish we could go back to capture that especially when the present time is filled with pain? Sonny has experienced his son going to prison, shooting one son and coming close to losing the organization that gave him power that he did not have as a boy while growing up with a step father like Deac. For Brenda, losing a child (or one she thought she lost if the adoption papers that Carly has is true). I think that when times are difficult people tend to want to escape, at least for a while, to a safe place or safe time.

After seeing that posted video about Sonny saying Brenda was a girl and he was man but he still wanted her, I can feel the intense love they have for each other at that time. I can see why Sonny and Brenda would want to go back to a time for them when love was good, intense, wonderful, true, and pure.

2899 Posts

Soapcrazy writes:
    You’re right, that dress of Carly’s in the previews was awesome. You know Carly out shine the bride on purpose. And I would too if I hated the bride.
    lol I would have thought by now someone would be trashing my comment.
    IMO there was no comparison. Carly outshined Brenda by miles and miles.
    A QUEEN in her own right!! :crown:

I understand what you are saying about going back in time. I recently had a talk with a lifelong friend about that. Do I wish I could go back in time?? YES. Of course we all do. But we can’t. That is part of growing up. Accepting our mistakes, learning to live in the ADULT world. S&B were young when they first were together. As I was at one time too. But because of what I have been thru,I can’t go backwards.
    This is a soap. Fantasy. So I guess “perfect love” does exist. But not in real life it doesn’t. It takes alot of work. Brenda doesn’t have the maturity to work at a marriage, and Sonny, well Sonny is Sonny. Do I need to say more about him??

And personally, since I see no heat between them on screen, I am sure they have lost it off screen as well. The HEAT is gone……now lets move on!! :)

55 Posts

[quote=JAQ]Soapcrazy writes:
    lol I would have thought by now someone would be trashing my comment.
    IMO there was no comparison. Carly outshined Brenda by miles and miles.
    A QUEEN in her own right!! :crown:

I understand what you are saying about going back in time. I recently had a talk with a lifelong friend about that. Do I wish I could go back in time?? YES. Of course we all do. But we can’t. That is part of growing up. Accepting our mistakes, learning to live in the ADULT world. S&B were young when they first were together. As I was at one time too. But because of what I have been thru,I can’t go backwards.
    This is a soap. Fantasy. So I guess “perfect love” does exist. But not in real life it doesn’t. It takes alot of work. Brenda doesn’t have the maturity to work at a marriage, and Sonny, well Sonny is Sonny. Do I need to say more about him??

And personally, since I see no heat between them on screen, I am sure they have lost it off screen as well. The HEAT is gone……now lets move on!! :)[/quote]

Soapcrazy writes

What! There is too heat between them, granted, it’s not burning as bright as it did but the chemistry is still there. S&B is still a sexy couple, I think VMG is a bit rusty (yeah, I said it) but she can still act and Guza and Co, need to write Brenda as a character with fire again. the fight btw her and Carly the other day was the first time I saw a hint of the fire of old Brenda

1037 Posts

I too can see the draw of wanting to go back in time and yes the brenson relationship was seriously intense and the bond was strong, but that said, you cant stay in that happy dream pretense kind of world for long, and given sonny and brendas mental history, I think its fair for carly to ask whats going to happen when their fantasy world and the real world finally collide. I think its fair for carly to ask how will that fall out effect our children. I think its fair for carly to ask how much of the burden she will be asked to shoulder should they crash and burn.

2899 Posts

I think VMG is a bit rusty (yeah, I said it) but she can still act
    We watching the same show??

2899 Posts

Thank You EET for understanding.

I wish I could go back into time. The lesson’s I have learned, the experiences I have experienced. But part of growing up and behaving like an adult isn’t always “pretty, fantasy, worry free” Sometimes it even SUCKS to be an adult.
    And that is the message Carly is trying to convey. Brenda is clueless how to be an adult. Look at her. She jumps, she skips, she giggles, she shops at FOREVER21, etc… ;)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.