Forums Talk Shows & Game Shows Jacqueline Courtney’s Death
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of marknsprmomarknsprmo
    407 Posts

One of Daytime TVs first superstars Jacqueline Courtney died on December 20th of cancer. She was 64. Ms Courtney was one third of the Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle on Another World from 1968-1975. This triangle caused Another World unprecedented popularity and ratings that nearly put it at no. 1 above the then untouchable ATWT. Because of back stage issues, Both Courtney and her co star George Reinhold were fired from Another World. AW lost more than a million viewers over the public firing. Some people point to this incident as the first time the Soap Press actually told a behind the scenes story. This situation was the forerunner to later more honest soap news and criticism such as Soap Opera Digest. And basically the forerunner to this website. When Courtney and Reinhold were hired onto One Life to Live, they carried their one million viewers with them. This was again something that really had not ever happened before. This couple had real star power that is unlike what most people have had. Ms Courtney stayed with OLTL for several years and then reprised her role on AW as Alice for a couple of years. She also had a memorable run on Loving as a madame. Ms Courtney returned to AW for its 25th anniversary and for Mac Cory’s death and after that retired from daytime tv. I would hope that the soap press would honor such a worthy passing. Or atleast mention it…….

Profile photo of antmunozantmunoz
    9 Posts

The soap press needs to devote a FULL PAGE in each of their magazines to this legendary lady. I’ve noticed our “In Memorium” mentions in the mags are next to nothing these days. We complain about the Daytime Emmys not mentioning the passing of former soap stars, but the magazines do not do much better these days. I want quotes from Strasser, Reinholt, Wyndham, Mary Page Keller, Beverly Penberthy…you name it.

And isn’t it sad that AMC’s new opening, lauded though it may be, has now dropped all the deceased and retired actors/characters that made up the history of Pine Valley?

Profile photo of marknsprmomarknsprmo
    407 Posts

Just a comment. I am sorry to hear about Daniel Vicar’s son. My condolences to his family. I don’t know who is son is other than it was just now announced his son died on this site. Yet still not even a mention of the fact that a soap legend and superstar passed on……?
    Guys get it together… WHAT is the scoop? Jamie? Anyone?

Profile photo of EricasEvilTwinEricasEvilTwin
    1035 Posts

Sad – I wasnt an AW viewer but I remember her from OLTL. I believe she was a love interest for Bo back in the day.

Profile photo of AC360AC360
    1 Posts

This is hard for me to write because I am crying right now.I was born in 1974 and my mother was a huge soap fan so the shows were always on.She had bought soap magazines from the 60’s on and when I was a child I would look through them.Her favorite actress was Jacqueline Courtney,there were pictures in those magazines from the time she came on Another World.When I saw the pictures of Alice and Steve’s weddings,the one where they got married and the one where they didn’t,I said to my mother that Jacqueline was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen.Over the course of my youth she told me all about the stories of Steve/Alice/Rachel triangle.It was a landmark triangle,this is the one all the others have copied.When I was a kid she was on One Life To Live and Loving and of course returned to Another World several times.To say the word legendary dosen’t even come close,people today who are on the shows don’t come close to the popularity of this actress in her day.Oddly I found this story reading an article about Laura Wright I saw you had on the sight.Laura is my favorite daytime actress,has been for 20 years since the day she came on Loving.What is odd is I came to read that story and found out Jacqueline had died,the day Laura came on Loving I told my mother that I had found my Jacqueline Courtney.Jacqueline was her favorite and Laura is mine.Every soap magazine should do more than a page Jacqueline should get the cover for all the magazines she sold for them over the years.She was a beautiful and talented actress that I will miss terribly.She was an icon of daytime television.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.