Forums The Young and the Restless Juicy Y&R Recasting Blind Item!
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    2899 Posts

From Nelson Branco's Soapgeist: — Which Y&R actor has been recast with one of its original portrayers?    Let the speculation begin!!! There are only so many recasts on Y&R, so it should be easy to narrow down: – Heather: I'm hoping to God that Eden Riegel is leaving Y&R to focus on her baby and that Vail Bloom is returning! – Diane: She fits the bill. There are two previous Dianes, and I think we can all agree that Maura West is horribly miscast. – Sharon: You know what, Monica Potter could make this character bearable again. – Adam: If they brought Chris Engen back, I'd be in heaven, homophobe be damned! – Billy: There are three former "adult" Billys. Could Billy Miller be out of a job? Doubtful, since he's apparently so "popular". – Victoria: I don't think they'd ever bring back Sarah Aldrich, and Heather Tom seems busy on B&B. Unlikely to be Amelia Heinous. – Malcolm: Shemar Moore is one of several actors rumoured to be out at Criminal Minds. Perhaps? – Tucker: Wouldn't that be cyclical? – Jill: Brenda Dickson back as Jill? Jess Walton OUT?! – Nikki: Erica Hope, is that you? Who do YOU think it is?

Profile photo of akbad806akbad806
    243 Posts

I think Vail might on her way back as Heather. TBTB are adament about keeping her around, but ER just doesn’t the goods as the bitchy sex goddess lawyer this regime wants her to be.

Maura West is a CBS mainstay, so I know she ain’t going anywhere and neither is Billy Miller or Amelia Heinous.

Erica Hope? You made that up! My Melody is starting right where she belongs as Nikki Newman.

I kinda liked Monica Potter as Sharon back in the gap too and thought she’d add an edge to this character before she became all sugary sweet.

Oh, well, I wonder what this is all about…

Profile photo of alstonboy4315alstonboy4315
    853 Posts

A-Crane,

Wow, let me chew some of the fat with you over this one………..

I think you forgot someone. They might be bringing back the original Gloria in the form of Joan Van Ark, but I doubt it very seriously. I prefer Judith in the role anyway.

Monica Potter did an interview with CBS Soaps In Depth in which she stated that she wasn’t suited for daytime and that she felt that she was a horrible actress back when she was on the show. She also said that she’s friends with Michael Muhney and that kissing him or being intimate with him on the show would be like “kissing her brother,” so I am pretty sure it’s not her. I know you are not a huge fan of Sharon Case, but I still find her to be a pretty good actress who simply does the best she can with the wacky, uneven material she’s given.

I don’t see them asking Alex Donnelly back as Diane. I think they had their chance to bring her back in the early 2000s, but opted to bring on Susan Walters (who I LOVED!_). And as you have pointed out, Susan Walters has a cushy job on “Vampire Diaries,” and is unlikely to return. If they did recast Diane, I would hope they would bring on someone new, such as colleen Zenk Pinter. As you know, I was never a huge Alex Donnelly fan. I always found her to be dull and boring as Diane.

Heather Tom ain’t coming back, because I am sure that Brad Bell gives her a level of creative control and freedom over there that Maria ain’t going to go for. After all, she likes to crack the whip, not collaborate with her actors.

I don’t think they would EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER get rid of Melody Thomas Scott or Jess Walton to bring back the originals. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER. If they did leave their shows, I think TPIC would try to snap up better known soap stars, such as Linda Dano (to play Jill!) or someone like Deidre Hall to play a Nikki recast. (I know you love you some Deidre Hall!). Erica Hope has been out of the spotlight for FAR too long, and I don’t think that they are going to bring Brenda Dickson back, since she had beef with Bill Bell Sr., although I wouldn’t mind seeing her play a Meggie recast. I really hope that Jess Walton is not leaving. She is one of the best actresses on Y&R and I MUCH prefer her version of Jill to Brenda Dickson’s. Brenda Dickson was funny and entertaining to watch, but she isn’t as multi-layered or versatile as Jess is. She’s certainly the queen of CAMP, but I think she did her best work in the 70s. In the 80s, most of what I have seen on YouTube has been laughable…….sometimes “good” laughable, and sometimes “bad” laughable, but still laughable.

I don’t think Y&R would bring back Chris Engen after all that went down. Plus, they seem to worship the ground that Michael Muhney walks on. Just like they worship SMILING Billy Miller, so I also hope they aren’t getting rid of him. Billy Miller always makes me smile, even though they have paired him with that wet dishrag Amelia Heinle (blecch!)

If I were a betting man, I’d say that out of all the people you listed, it’s going to be Vail Bloom returning as Heather or William Russ returning as Tucker.

I do hope that you get your Vail Bloom back, because you have been moping around an awful lot since she got fired. :) :) :) :)

2899 Posts

You’re right—I did forget about Gloria. But I believe Joan van Ark found daytime too demanding, which is why she turned down their contract offer and the role was recast. Of course…I could be wrong.

Erica Hope and Brenda Dickson were jokes. ;-)

Haha thanks Alston! I hope Vail returns. Wonder if Eden only signed a one-year contract? It would be ending soon…And Y&R is under no obligation to renew said contract just because Eden’s having a baby.

It’s so rare when an original actor returns to a role that had been recast. When Liza Huber returned to Passions, I nearly cried with joy. Vail returning as Heather might make me scream with ecstasy!

853 Posts

LOL!! What would you do if they brought on Liza Huber as NuHeather?????? ;) ;)

Good to know that Erica Hope and Brenda Dickson were jokes, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Brenda come back (in a DIFFERENT role, not as Jill). She would be a riot in scenes with Judith Chapman!!

I do think you are going to get your wish. I think TPTB have realized that they made a mistake bringing on Eden as Heather. I wish they had brought her on as a Mac recast, but I do think she’s going to take time off to focus on being a new mother. Looks like Vail Bloom is coming back. When the “blind item,” originally broke in Soap Opera Digest, there was a rumor that some of her cast mates had gone to bat for her to try to allow her to keep her job.Apparently, she was well-liked over there. I still don’t know why they got rid of her. It seems that Y&R keeps the wrong people and gets rid of the wrong people. I just don’t get it.

Profile photo of akbad806akbad806
    243 Posts

Alston, Liza Huber would suck as Heather. Don’t do that…

There’s no telling who Sally McDonald and Maria Bell are wooing back to the cast. Maybe this will give a Heather/Ronan (once Jeff Branson returns) pairing an actual feel of heat and passion. That hair, breathy voice, and her OVERALL sultriness make Vail Bloom the epitome of what Heather Stevens should be. Y&R needs a bitch in the 20-something crowd since Chloe is softened.

Profile photo of watchingalldaywatchingallday
    23 Posts

I am on my hands and knees praying to God that Vail is returning as Heather! I am sorry for her fans, but Eden Reigel as Heather has been a fail from day 1, and while a good bit of it has been the writing, I put just as much if not a majority of the blame on Eden for being completely wrong for the part, and not being a good enough actress to make us think otherwise. My example is Maura West, she should not work as Dianne, but she does, even if you don’t like the character or writing.

Profile photo of DyllanDyllan
    222 Posts

What about one of the Macs? I could see one of them returning.

2899 Posts

Dyllan, the blind item indicates it’s a current star being replaced.

watchingallday, Maura West does not work as Diane. That’s a fact. I’m no fan of hers, but even I cringe when she has to kiss Eric Braeden.

I think it’s been a year this week that Riegel was announced as Heather. I really wouldn’t be surprised if she only signed a year-long deal. If she is out, I expect her to be back on AMC in 6 months time as the “real Bianca”.

Profile photo of AHeart4FictionAHeart4Fiction
    226 Posts

Alston, Greg Rikaart said he talked up Eden to MAB and she decided to have a conversation with her. I don’t believe she did a read-through they just casted her with a character that was already being played by somebody else. It’s incredibly lazy if you ask me, instead of creating a character she decides to fire someone and add another actress she likes instead. Can you even think of an original charcter MAB has created that’s a success?

the thoery of opposites
    853 Posts

Evangeline–

“Word of mouth” seems to be the same way that Sean Young got her gig on Y&R!! Eric Braeden, who appears to Maria and everyone else at CBS and Sony wrapped around his pinkie finger, probably waltzed in there and “subtlely” convinced Maria to hire her psychotic butt!! I guess it’s true what they say, it ain’t WHAT you know but rather WHO you know. Hell, we all know that she was sitting in the unemployment line before she got Y&R, and probably would STILL be sitting there if not for Eric. I hope she sent him flowers or a card or something. “Thanks for TRYING to revive my career.”—- Sean Young

And you are right, NONE of the original characters that she has created herself have been all that intriguing or entertaining, but I must admit that I am kinda feeling this lawyer chick, Leslie, right now. She’s got spunk, fire and desire. She reminds me a LITTTTTLLLEEE bit of my Drucilla.

226 Posts

Lol, You know Sean has thanked Eric, she’s probably promised him a spot on Celebrity Rehab. Trying to make the best of her expired 15 minutes, you know since Dr. Drew is treating those nondruggies with there fake treatments. She’s gonna need all the help she can get especially w/ that uhmm…stint on skating w/ the stars. But it is still completely unprofessional to get someone hired by word of mouth, hell I can’t do it why should Greg and Eric. I mean Greg tortured us for a year with Eden’s Heather. I still see her in that moomoo trying push up on the dumbest cop ever (Chance). Trying to act like a man (even one as dumb as Chance) would choose her over Chloe…Lol, there must be something real nice under that moomoo and I ain’t talking fresh cookies and milk.

Yeah Leslie is the best so far b/c MAB can’t have a strong woman…oh no were still in the fifties.Oh and if MAB’s attention span wasn’t that of gnat, we would have gotten that follow up with Neslie (yay I coined it first) eating breakfast and flirting. I wan’t Neil to wine and dine that and then get crazied on by Sofia. The look on her face as Neslie went upstairs…

222 Posts

Where did you hear that GR pushed for Eden? Eden as in the Eden who plays Heather or Eden as in MIchael’s sister? GR needs to learn how to act and keep his ideas to himself. He is the one who suggested Clementine Ford as Mac. He also wanted this storyline with Jana/Ryder/amnesia crap. He just has one awful suggestion after another.

226 Posts

Dyllan, he was gushing about it in an interview. Elizabeth Hendrickson was excited about it too, she was talking about how GR, she and ER all wanted to work together. They also said they were proposing their ideas to MAB and at first she was hesitant but then agreed. This is all the crap we get, lol. Jana, Clementine Ford, amnesia, Ryder…though his body is sick and Klevin. Am I missing anything else? I mean a boss should not be taking these half-baked ideas and attempting to sell it like gold. At least entertain it and then act like you forgot or just give them a good s/l to shut them up. It’s pretty sad when your employees suggest the ways you should do your job, smh.

2899 Posts

Another option is Kevin Schmidt as Noah, though it seems unlikely because he has a show on the Cartoon Network (I think).

Profile photo of soapjunkie88soapjunkie88
    114 Posts

I wish they would get Vail Bloom as Heather back … but with Eden Riegel being pregnant and all, I doubt it’s about the Heather character. Sadly. :(

CBS loves Maura West, so she won’t lose her role as Diane any time soon. Even though I would love to see Susan Walters returning to the role. Which is doubtful because of her role on “Vampire Diaries”.

In the end I believe Kevin Schmidt could be on his way back to playing Noah Newman. Since they recast the role with Luke Kleintank, Noah is hardly seen and the two storylines they had in mind for him (music and feelings for Jana) were both dropped very fast. And with one of Kevin’s latest Facebook posts, I think it’s him.

853 Posts

Dyllan,

Come on now. You know you’re my boy, but you betta leave my Greg Rikaart alone!!

That’s my future baby daddy!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

853 Posts

Noah, in my opinion, has been a dull and lackluster character who I wish they’d either turn GAY (and put with Rafe!) or just send off canvas. They spend so much time focusing on his parents, Nickclueless and Sharon, and they seem to forget about Noah half the time. It’s almost as if they don’t even care about him, so either utilize him or ship him away to parts unknown. That’s my humble opinion. I see no real reason to bring back Kevin Schmidt. He was a decent young actor, but I am really rather indifferent. I couldn’t give a “good kitty” either way……….

Furthermore, speaking as a gay man, if they DO decide to turn Noah gay, (and put him with Devon or Rafe) I’d much rather see Luke in a gay storyline than Kevin. Kevin still gives off too much of a creepy boy-next-door vibe and I think that would be off-putting to the audience to see this “little boy” having sex with or being intimate with ANYONE. Luke has more sex appeal and can carry off more “adult” storylines, in my opinion.

But if they aren’t going to properly utilize him, GET RID of him.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I am sure you all got my point. :) :) :) :)

114 Posts

I was one of these people who suggested that Noah would come out gay all along. Y&R finally had their first real gay storyline and with Rafe a potential love interest for him. If they bring Kevin back and Noah has more screen time again, then they should do it. But then … it’s a Bell soap … so I doubt it will happen. :p

2899 Posts

soapjunkie, if you look at the timeline, Eden Riegel was announced as Heather a year ago. It’s certainly possible she only signed a one-year contract. Y&R not renewing said contract is much different than firing a pregnant woman. I so hope Vail is back!

2899 Posts

What did Kevin say on Facebook?

I want Noah to be bi (since he already had sex with Eden and almost had sex with Jana). I want it to turn out he cheated on Eden with a guy in Paris and that’s why he came back.

THEN, put him in a triangle with Paul’s rapidly-aged Latino son Ricky and an aged, closet-case Kyle Abbott. Let the sparks fly!!!

114 Posts

So you want three legendary characters to be LGBT-characters!?^^ I’d be thankful for just one. ;)

Could be that Eden just signed a one year contract. Would be a dream come true. :) I want Vail back even if this blind item isn’t about the Heather character.

Kevin wrote on his Facebook page on Friday: “Spent this morning in a familiar place my friends! Felt nice to be visiting. More details to come!”

2899 Posts

Oh God, no. That makes me really unhappy. Sounds like Schmidt is returning. It’s not that I don’t like him, cuz I do, but I want Vail back! The role of Heather needs her back much more than the role of Noah needs Kevin. Luke Kleintank is enjoyable in the role but if he’s leaving it’s probably because he’s focusing on primetime work.

2899 Posts

They should have just left Noah in Paris. There was no reason to recast! They only brought him back to remind us of his existence. LAAAAAAAAAME.

Goddammit, even SOD thinks it’s Noah. Frak. http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Profile photo of emblazonedemblazoned
    9 Posts

I guess you missed this, but at the top of Nelson’s column, it says “Blind Item: Which ‘Y&R’ actor was recast with his predecessor?”

Keyword: his.

Kevin Schmidt is pretty much the only person this could be. Personally, this makes me happy.

2899 Posts

Actually, looks like Nelson edited the wording. At the beginning of this thread, I copy-and-pasted the original quote, which said, “one of its”, not “his”. Nelson’s changed the wording likely due to SOD commenting on the item.

This makes me so disappointed and sad! I was really hoping that the awesome Vail Bloom would return and save the role of Heather. Yuck–just yuck!!! More Noah means more Sharon/Nick bullshit, and those are two characters I’d really like to see phased out of this show.

Profile photo of emblazonedemblazoned
    9 Posts

Nelson didn’t change the wording – he just worded it differently in two places in the article.

In the subheading at the beginning is where it says “Blind Item: Which ‘Y&R’ actor was recast with his predecessor?” Later in the body of the article, it says “Which Y&R actor has been recast with one of its original portrayers?”

While I do like Kevin Schmidt as Noah, I agree with you AlistairCrane. The return of Vail Bloom is much more necessary!

2899 Posts

OMFG this just takes the cake: Schmidt had a FAT PHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.superiorpics.com/kevin_schmidt/

Good God in heaven!!!!

222 Posts

[quote=alstonboy4315]Dyllan,

Come on now. You know you’re my boy, but you betta leave my Greg Rikaart alone!!

That’s my future baby daddy!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)[/quote]
    You deserve so much better. I sure as hell would not pick GR to be my baby daddy. Talk about cruel and unusual punishment. He has one dumb idea after another. He makes Esther looks sharp.

I wish it was Vail Bloom. Why recast sexy and sultry Heather, with some (no offense ER) ugly, plain Jane broad, who sounds like Minnie Mouse and looks like she has a pair of marbles in her mouth. It is the same story with Malcolm. Why would you get rid of an attractive man and replace him with DM? Those two roles are defined by being attractive and sexual.

853 Posts

Dyllan,

I find something very attractive and endearing about Greg Rikaart. He seems very intelligent, sweet and like an overall great guy. I think he’s gay and I would love to go out with him. It’ll never happen, but I hope to meet him one day and tell him exactly what I think about him.

I don’t think Eden Riegel is ugly. I think she’s pretty cute-looking. I loved her work on “All My Children,” but I am sure you know that I have NOT been impressed with her since she set foot in Genoa City. I don’t think that the Heather character was originally meant to be a female adonis, but it just so happens that Vail Bloom was/is very sexy/hot-looking and has that sexy, “come-hither” voice that makes brings all the STRAIGHT boys to the yard……..

I think she was originally meant to be bitchy and cutthroat, icy and cold, but not necessarily an adonis.

And as far as Darius, I also don’t think he’s “ugly.” At least not on the outside. Now his sense of humor and ghetto, uncultured mentality/personality SCREAMS ugly for me. As a black man, I find it very unattractive for BLACK PEOPLE to run around saying the “N” word all willy-nilly, even in it’s modified version (with an “a” at the end, as opposed to an “er”)

But you and I have disagreed before, and will more than likely disagree again. No worries. Friendly disagreements here and there are what keep things interesting…………

2899 Posts

Ugh, it’s Noah.

Update On Y&R Switch
    The show has just confirmed that Kevin G. Schmidt will reprise the role of Noah Newman, replacing Luke Kleintank, who had started only last September. Schmidt first airs April 14. http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking

2899 Posts

I don’t owe ANYONE an apology, hunny!!! :-D ;-) :-p

222 Posts

@alstonboy4315

I believe Heather is suppose to be this sexy beast. No man can resist her charms (Ronan and Chance (especially that scene the other day with Chance)). This is a shallow role where you hire someone purely on their looks. They are writing her as a sexual person and ER simply will never be able to deliver that. And I HATED ER on AMC. That whiny and annoying voice irked me to no end. I believe her fame has less to do with her acting and more to do with the writing she was given. And this kidnapping storyline is just dumb. No one cares enough about the character for her to be given this type of storyline.

DM is not pretty when compared to the original Malcolm. Again, this is a role given to a model-like person. Malcolm is suppose to be eye candy and I don’t buy DM as some sex monster. I read an interesting paper on why black people should be allowed to use the “N” word. It is supposedly being used as a term of endearment and this is mocking and taking power away from the word. I don’t really agree with that argument, but it is something to ponder.

I imagine GR is nice in real life, too, but he is a total bore on the show. I don’t believe his acting style fits well on daytime television (he’s more prime time material, IMO) and his character is just some weasel. However, GR annoys me to no end with his constant suggestions. I mean there have been so many bad ideas that pop out of his mouth. Why they listen to him is beyond me.

Profile photo of marknsprmomarknsprmo
    407 Posts

yeah I like the old Noah better anyway. He is a cute guy and looks like he could be Sharon and Nicks son. Besides he looks young enough to be Sharon and Nicks son. The other kid looked more like Nick’s slightly younger sibling…… Since Nick and Sharon are still a viable youngish couple, it is STUPID to age their son so quickly. I really don’t need them to be grandpa Nick and Nanna Sharon anytime soon!

Profile photo of GHfan-4nowGHfan-4now
    271 Posts

I agree about going back to the old Noah. The newer one did look more like a Newman sibling than Nick’s actual son. He was good looking, but Sharon and Nick both still so young. Anyone know why they had switched out Noah’s in the first place???

On a totally different note, DM’s not pretty when compared to original Malcolm??? Dyllan, my dear, you’re being FAR too kind! :tongue:

No, honestly, nothing against Falcolm Winslow or his Color Purple flair, but no, he is not pretty like that. Malcolm was completely modelesque, which is why Shemar was hired. The Laides love LL of daytime! I think, aside from the obvious, that is one of the biggest issues with this recast, because DM’s portrayal is so FAR from who and what Malcolm was/is, not only physically but, damn, at the heart of the freaking character. Falcolm Winslow’s version is a smack ‘em around, I’ll get my belt out on yo ass, kind of guy, and I’m SO not digging it in the least.

But speaking of, has anyone seen that Steppin: The Movie??? One of those straight to DVD type flicks that never saw the inside of anyone’s theater. If it did, color me batshyte and call it a day. Anywho, it came on BET last weekend and waddya know, Falcolm Winslow was in the film looking a hot mess.

Profile photo of ScoutScout
    38 Posts

So a recurring character with no apparent story angles is being re-cast with an old re-cast. Nobody gives a shit, Maria! Pull your head outta your ass and fix the REAL problems that are dragging down this ongoing crapfest! If it’s not Vail Bloom back as Heather, then I couldn’t care less!

2899 Posts

Everyone please stop commenting on this thread. I’m trying to get it shut down after the rude, cruel and evil comments directed at me by a fellow poster. I have started a new thread called “Kevin Schmidt Returns to Y&R” where all discussion on this topic should now occur. Thank you!

P.S. If everyone could do me a big favour and FLAG/report the nasty post up above, please do so! The mods have not yet deleted it, which is a shame.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.