Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of marknsprmomarknsprmo
    407 Posts

Ratings were down across the board according to Soap Opera Network but Y&R and B&B gave new meaning to lows. Both shows hit all time lows in total audience. Y&R actually had a day under 4million viewers. Can this be the wake up call that someone really does something big about the ratings? Getting rid of a few unwanted characters and getting a new talent scout is just window dressing (all soaps have characters that the audience hasn’t warmed up to. That doesn’t mean the audience just stops watching the whole show.) The problem is well known and must be fixed. In a time when soaps are dropping off the air like flies, and other shows are taking drastic measures to fix the problem, it is a shame that daytimes flagship is being taken down in this manner. If I were Sony, Monday morning would be known as behind the scenes St Valentines Massacre at Y&R. There would be massive pink slips given to the entire writing staff and some resignations on the production end as well. Please you can not afford to lose 800000 viewers!
    Congrats to OLTL for now being the number 2 soap on daytime tv. And not even with your best ratings even. By the time you are off the air you will probably be number one in the ratings due to massive abandonment by Y&R fans. Yes bringing MTS is a good move. That doesn’t solve much though. Such as everything else.

Profile photo of david46208david46208
    826 Posts

@marknsprmo: at this point I’d rather keep AMC then Y&R. AMC is on fire and at the end has day after day drama and the actors are doing the work of their careers.

When I see Y&R on the streets I just walk pass like I don’t see it and shake my head. It’s like the show is on crack and now roaming the streets looking dingy and trying to sell you old worn out shoes for 50 cent.

Profile photo of harlee490harlee490
    957 Posts

Not sure what is worse being disgusting and pissed off that nobody is paying attention or heartbreaking to see the grand soap being destroyed by a much of HACK like MAB.

Profile photo of SmittySmitty
    877 Posts

It breaks my heart…I am slowly falling out of love with Y&R…. as a CBS guy I experienced this same thing with ATWT, GL and BB….I feel out of love with ATWT in 2001/2002…then GL by 2004/2005 I just couldn’t watch anymore…BB in 2008 i had to just stop watching for a year….now YR in 2011 i just can’t. It breaks my heart because Y&R has a lot of my favorite characters still there but it’s unrecognizable. I turned the show on yesterday for the first time in months and it was just a train wreck…..

I don’t get the rhyme or reason for this show….and it breaks my heart…

I was over the moon last week when my MTS re-signed but now I’m like really even her coming back isn’t going to save this mess. The writers room needs to be shook up. I can’t take this mess anymore. Something has to be done!

957 Posts

[quote=Smitty]It breaks my heart…I am slowly falling out of love with Y&R…. as a CBS guy I experienced this same thing with ATWT, GL and BB….I feel out of love with ATWT in 2001/2002…then GL by 2004/2005 I just couldn’t watch anymore…BB in 2008 i had to just stop watching for a year….now YR in 2011 i just can’t. It breaks my heart because Y&R has a lot of my favorite characters still there but it’s unrecognizable. I turned the show on yesterday for the first time in months and it was just a train wreck…..

@smitty, I feel the same way. Myself being a CBS person and TOTALLY understand what you’re saying because having only Y&R left it’s truly heartbreaking. B&B don’t follow much never been a fan, B&B isn’t in my heart because I was big Capitol fan. I stopped watching GL for about 6 months (sucker for my Light)but then when Grant A. returned as Phillip it helped stories on all levels. Some characters can do that to a canvas and Phillip having such a connection to so many characters. Finally, seeing Grant & Marcy in scenes together was the icing on the cake…they rocked. Then when ATWT was cancelled in December and it was starting to find its way again finally and started watching when Brad was shot by Jack. CarJack, Katie, It’s sad and you’re right about MTS the writing needs to change and bloated canvas with all the newbies and return to strong vets and then if needed to add new blood, that’s ok but there’s a proper way to integrate on canvas.

407 Posts

Harlee did you catch friday’s episode of Days? If not try to catch it this weekend on soapnet! I think it is the perfect way to start your love affair with Days.

957 Posts

marknsprmo ……yes I will on NBC.com, don’t have Fronsnet, Its on the me and friends agenda today especially Shawn is DOOL person, he grew up on NBC and can’t wait…now next week will be interesting if they pull over from AMC and done right…Days is the soap that could pull in new or better ratings because they aren’t going Y&R’s way. My gut is telling me Sony is turning around DOOL, up and running and increase TOTAL viewership, they need EYEBALLS DOOL is better ratings are in the demos. That could be a win-win taking GH in basement. Sony will then I feel show much needed attention to Y&R. Maybe we will have good news coming from Sony about house-cleaning at “The Yuck & the Worthless”.

407 Posts

Harlee I feel the same way. My big worry about ratings for Days right now is that NBC viewership is way down overall. Heck their night time ratings is in the toilet. So I hope that people won’t let that bother them and tune in anyway. I really believe that the people running Days cares about the show and it’s viewers. I KNOW that the cast does. Most of them have dedicated their adult lives to the show.
    Young and the Restless is in such sad shape right now. The weird thing is that every other element of the show is fine except the writing. The show looks fine, it has a good cast, the production values are still good. It is just that the writers don’t seem to be able to write for it. Or simply don’t care about the show enough to write for it. I think they think the audience is dumb. That we can not decern a good story from a bad one. Well all have differing opinions of what we want to see. We as an audience are NOT homogenous and want different things. But what we can all agree on is what we want to see is something good. And that is NOT what we are getting on Y&R.
    But this weekend I am not letting that get to me. I will be happily anticipating Days Of our Lives 2.0! (really about 5.0 but who’s counting lol)

957 Posts

Marknspromo …sent you email is was so long sorry…but very IMPRESS with DOOL!

On to Y&R…YES you’re right, one thing Y&R has lost is the ability to write good story, it’s all over map and inconstant. The WRITING is most important part of a soap and when it’s not present, NO MATTER which soap it shows. I still haven’t given up on my Y&R and trying to sold the horn along with others and if the changes start taking place, we Y&R fans would be seeing the changes ….what?…January? I would or will go back when MAB & Cronies are gone. Off With Their Heads |( |( |( !! But then along with returning to Y&R and now added another soap for my enjoyment…DOOL :) :) :) It will be enjoyment for me personally because this is my KIND of soap. Sony could be grand again and pull DOOL out the toilet and it can be done…Look at OLTL. These writers are going to be so superior to Ron C..IMHO.

407 Posts

I agree these are writers that care and that goes along way. It also helps that they have co writers that are very experienced.
    My problem with OLTL writers is that they don’t know what their main story is. They hyphenated the two big stories in the last few years that were THE stories first the FISH story now Todd and Vic JR. That and I never have really enjoyed ABC soaps that much. I always liked the P&G shows and Days and used to like Y&R better. I have been trying out the ABC soaps again but none of them have pulled me in yet.

the thoery of opposites
    957 Posts

Days couldn’t be in a better position to attack and pull viewers over..true soaps are yearning for some good, well written soap…it’s lacking now “days” (no pun attended) in the remaining soaps. AMC just now found its true feel back, and its to late, OLTL runs hot or cold..just not a die hard fan. Like you said never been a true fan of ABC’s soaps. GH is wounded mortally. Garin Wolf is not impressing GH fans, its seems with DK and RC coming aboard will be more of same just more over the top writing. Now with Y&R hurting but being a Sony soap isn’t out just yet. I feel in my heart in next 6 months with solid story telling DOOL could easily see another “golden era” and nothing more but “back to basics”. I feel DOOL will pull ahead of GH quickly and climb out as the last soap in ratings in the next month. Not only in bringing beloved characters back and writing but has made an investment in the production and new look with “Horton Square”. You’re right about P&G soaps always had a gathering place on their soaps …to pull community together. Let fans have that “feel” of knowing Salem.

407 Posts

Thanks Harlee. I agree that Days is in a position to be on top. I strongly believe that the stronger identity of Salem with the town square and a stronger presence of the Hortons is what will take it back on top. The Hortons have many interesting characters in its family that have not been seen in many years. These people have been away so long that they must have interesting stories to tell. Bill coming back to town and stiring up trouble between Victor and Maggie would be great. He might have a few secrets to bring with him. Perhaps he has another kid. He has been in Africa for years now. Perhaps he has an interracial child. David Banning, Julies son, or Julie and Hope’s brother Steven have been off the screen for years. What if Steven (played by Steven Schnetzer of AW) returned chock full of secrets and mysteries. He was not a good guy. Perhaps he has been working for Stephano all these years…. Anway, I am looking forward to Days growing and being stronger. I haven’t been this excited about Days in years!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.