Forums Talk Shows & Game Shows Port Charles: Better In These Days?
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    28 Posts

When GH announced it was starting a spin-off soap, I was really excited. I didn’t watch GH, but the spin-off sounded great and would take place more in the hospital. From the beginning I was a fan. In later years, they changed their format and became extremely supernatural with vampires, witches, angels, and towards the end, werewolves.

All of this happened right before all the popularity of Twilight and True Blood and Harry Potter and it ended right before vampires became popular again. My question to all of you….was Port Charles doing the right thing by writing these supernatural stories? Is this what the soap genre needs?

I personally feel as though the supernatural “book” format of Port Charles was brilliant. It did something other soaps weren’t doing (except for Passions, but that show was way more tongue-in-cheek and silly way). I mean, the sexy vampire Caleb seducing Livvie and Allison…these scenes probably foreshadowed the success of Bella and Jacob in Twilight, those characters in Vampire Diaries or True Blood or even Supernatural. If a soap turned to this kind of storytelling, would that be the new way of the genre? If Port Charles was around today telling those same stories, would it have been really popular??? I think it might have been one of the more popular shows on daytime.

Discuss…

Avatar of alstonboy4315alstonboy4315
    853 Posts

I think Port Charles would still be popular, if it had maintained the same level of good writing that it enjoyed during much of its stint. But Barbara Esensten and James Harmon Brown (who headwrote Port Charles!) were very uneven storytellers on Port Charles, as they were on GL. After about three years, they lost their creative spark on GL, and it showed. GL was on FIRE from 97-00, but then it hit a plateau and they were fired soon after.

I love the idea of going back to the 30-minute format. But that still requires GOOD writers who know how to tell CONTINUOUSLY intriguing stories. Still, it’s a hard sell, since half an hour means HALF the commercials and half the advertising bucks!! Not a good thing for soaps, especially with the dwindling budgets and audiences.

If soaps were to get REALLY, REALLY good writers and scale back to 30 minutes, I think they would be better off! What better way to regain an audience?? Keep it simple with relatively few characters, tell KICK ASS stories and then cut them off at 30 minutes, leaving them DYING to see the next episode??

Alas, all the soaps are going to be dead in the next three or four years. But if soaps were still around, the 30 minute format would be great. I can see each network having three or four 30 minute soaps, and people being able to sit down and watch a FULL afternoon of soaps again, without getting bored or flipping through channels.

Sadly, those days will never return and we will never know what COULD have been!!!

2901 Posts

I remember watching the primetime TV movie that kicked off Port Charles, and I watched it on and off during the summer because it was only a half hour.

It wasn’t until “Tainted Love” that I became hooked on PC. That was their perfect “book”, in my opinion. Very good beginning, middle, and end. Very nice execution. It was a great summer storyline and since I was 15 at the time, they accomplished their goal of hooking at least one new teen viewer!

I enjoyed “Miracles Happen” and “Secrets” but they sort of lost me as a viewer around that point. It was shocking, gutsy, and a complete surprise that they killed Eve. That’s not why I stopped watching–I just lost interest and the show never got as good as “Tainted Love” again. Plus, I was a big Jamal/Alison fan and they paired her with Rafe, which pissed me off. And they also pushed Caleb and Livvie even though I preferred her with Jack.

853 Posts

Yeah, I miss the days of REALLY good soap opera, when you actually GAVE a damn what was going to happen from day to day, as opposed to simply watching out of habit or a weird sense of obligation. I doubt those days will ever return, although I TRY to remain hopeful!!!

I think the 30 minute format would be great, but only if the writing were good enough to keep viewers THOROUGHLY engaged and wanting to tune in day in and day out. Otherwise, they’d still end up failing.

2901 Posts

Susan Haskell appeared as Ian Thornhart’s sister Granya—does anyone remember that? She was Irish and a ghost. But what’s creepy is that Ian and Patrick Thornhart were twins, meaning Granya was Patrick’s sister too—-so Patrick married a woman who looked IDENTICAL to his sister. EWWW!!!!

853 Posts

Yeah, that is gross. Good thing I haven’t had my dinner yet!!! :Sp :Sp :Sp

2901 Posts

The way I see it, PC took place in a parallel world to the other ABC soaps. But at certain times, the parallel world briefly crossed paths with the real world, like Felicia and Lucy’s double wedding or the Nurses Ball or Rae’s crossover. That would explain why there’s never been a vampire on All My Children or why One Life to Live has never mentioned Ian Thornhart.

28 Posts

Oh I miss Lucy Coe! Was Ian a vampire?

Avatar of Nathang1983Nathang1983
    70 Posts

I always thought that Port Charles should have been a dream that someone had for 6 years. That way, killing off Karen Wexler, among other things, never did really happen. That being said, I never watched Port Charles, so I don’t have any sense of what the show was like or how the storylines flowed. I never have watched any of the ABC soaps, except GH for awhile. I watched GH for about two years (’01-’03, I think), then stopped when it became more and more obvious that it was becoming the “Sonny Corinthos Hour.”

1 Posts

I think one of the biggest problems facing a return of PORT CHARLES would be that LIVVIE PC is SAM GH now. Same actress, and never any explanation offered why they look alike. I’ve often wondered how they would handle Kevin or Lucy if they returned for a time on GH and ran into Sam… would there be any acknowledgement “Gee you look familiar… do I know you from somewhere? OH… my daughter!”

the thoery of opposites
    2901 Posts

I don’t know if PC would’ve worked better in today’s market…for starters, many young people have summer jobs and aren’t home during the day. That being said, almost everyone has DVRs and I could see kids taping it and having marathons on Friday nights or something.

The “book” format is appealing to young viewers since there is a clearly-defined beginning, middle and end. For me, Tainted Love ended well and I didn’t feel like I was obligated to keep watching (although I did).

Last year, Degrassi aired 4 nights a week on TeenNick and was a big success—they are following suit this year. If ABC wanted to, they could air a new episode of PC after a repeat of, say, Modern Family.

PC could also be a success if episodes were available on iTunes. Young peeps like to watch stuff on their phones or iPods. Without commercials, a PC episode would be about 20 minutes long, which is perfect for taking the bus to school or work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.