Forums The Young and the Restless YR – The Phyllis Summers Newman Show
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SmittySmitty
    877 Posts

Ok before I begin this I want to make a disclaimer. I do not dislike Michelle Stafford. I don’t know Michelle Stafford and this is all about the character of Phyllis Newman.

Now I’ve been watching Y&R for over twenty years. There have been many great characters throughout the 37 years that this show has been on air. Many have come and gone but I NEVER thought I would see the day that Y&R would become the Phyllis Summers Newman hour! I feel like everyday that I turn on the show it’s Phyllis Newman running around scolding her son, Daniel, about his “love” life, Phyllis the P.I., or Phyllis the heroine who is fighting to save her man. Now when Phyllis was introduced on this show she was none of these things. She was a young obsessed fan of Danny Romalotti who was trying to steal him away from his wife, Christine. I loved to hate Phyllis then. It was like I couldn’t wait to see what else she was going to do to try and keep Cricket away from Danny. Maybe on one occasion she made me feel sorry for her. I scheming Phyllis was a joy to watch. Then eventually she paid the ultimate price for her crimes by loosing custody of Daniel to Danny. We then saw Phyllis eventually leave the Y&R canvas briefly and she returned a mature woman. No longer was she the obsessed fan of Danny. She was a tech savvy diva now. She had a career and we watched her have a very nice relationship with Jack. She fought hard with Diane to keep her from stealing Jack away, but Phyllis was given a job and she was now mixing it up in the boardroom drama as well. Well then eventually Phyllis ends up in a scandalous affair with the married Nick Newman. I was never really a Phick fan but they were very popular. We saw Phyllis eventually win her man and marry Nick. This is when they began writing Phyllis as a Susie Homemaker. Nothing against housewives or Susie but Phyllis became unrecognizable. She lost her spunk. Now they have her as the one solving every mystery on the canvas, fighting to keep Sharon from stealing her husband away from her, and chasing after her son! Enough with it already. The character of Phyllis isn’t one of my favorites but she seems to be involved in everything. I’m sorry and many will disagree with me but I don’t watch Y&R for Phyllis Summers Romalotti Abbott Newman. Never have and probably never will. It makes no sense that her character is now involved in everything. She’s the female Victor Newman without the growl and mustache. I like my Y&R with a less Phyllis and more Nikki Newman!

I was talking to my grandma, a CBS soap viewer, last Saturday evening when she was over my mom’s for dinner and we were discussing our “stories” and she said it best. “I am so sick of Phyllis. I hope Sharon takes Nick back from her! She is just so trashy and I am so sick of her!” and I quote my grandma. I busted out laughing because I felt the same way. Why has Y&R become the Phyllis Newman Show? Why is she involved in everything and solving every mystery? Come on now..enough!

With all the negative I have to say some something positive about Phyllis to avoid Michelle Stafford spitting on me at the Emmy’s *side eye* LOL…I’m kidding. I would like to see Phyllis return more to her roots. I like Phyllis best when she’s scheming. She needs to be moved out of the Sharon/Nick orbit. I think I speak for most viewers when i say I’m tired of it. End this triangle already. I would love to see her move back in with Jack and rekindle a relationship with him. I think Phyllis’ best relationship was with Jack. It would be nice to see those two back together. They have amazing chemistry.

What are your thoughts on Y&R aka the Phyllis Newman Show?

Profile photo of INAHAM730INAHAM730
    2 Posts

I semi-agree.Phyllis was never intended to be a heroine,and she isn’t even fun to watch anymore.On the other hand,more stripper is not what is needed.That show needs balance.

877 Posts

LOL I was talking with my coworker today and we both agreed that the show currently isn’t balanced very well. Too much Victor and Phyllis. Y&R has a huge cast and many people are underused (Nikki, Devon, Neil, Chloe, Heather, Malcolm) to name a few.

Profile photo of alstonboy4315alstonboy4315
    853 Posts

Smitty—

I told myself I wasn’t gonna do any more rants tonight, but I might have to make room for ONE more……

I am tired of them portraying Phyllis as this weak-assed, desperate woman who’s only goal in life is to hold onto a damned man!! She was like that for her ENTIRE first stint on the show– trying to hold onto Danny R’s boring behind. I enjoyed Crazy Phyllis as much as you did, but it’s been over 15 years, and it’s time to move on from the same old sh*t!!!! I also don’t like the writers trying to water her down with boring-assed Nick Newman. Nick has never TRULY been able to handle Phyllis. She’s too much woman for him, and she has become a “Stepford wife,” over the past few years, and I don’t want to see that. Phyllis needs to be with a STRONG man who doesn’t make her feel insecure.

Nick is NOT a strong man, in my opinion. He’s weak and indecisive–perfect for Sharon. He is a waste of space, and I feel he serves little purpose to Phyllis. I wish the writers would reveal what we ALL have known for years—Nick is NOT Summer’s real daddy, Jack is!! That will take away ANY ties they have together, and facilitate a much-needed divorce.

The problem is that Maria Bell doesn’t seem to know how to build upon this character, and so she’s going back to the past. I don’t want to see the 1995/1996 Phyllis unless she’s running somebody down with her rented car!! I have a few characters that I wouldn’t mind seeing get flattened—-Mac, Lily, Amelia Heinle (oh, wait…she’s not a character!)

Phyllis is a show hog, and it’s nothing but her whining and acting like a weak mess. I find that boring. And Nick is NOT worth the hassle. I think they should put Phyllis between Ashley and Tucker and do a triangle with them, or put her back with Michael Baldwin. But don’t show her ass NINE days a week!! I can’t take it.

As far as Nikki Newman goes, I don’t like her as much as you do, Smitty, LOL, but I do like MTS. I want to see more Katherine Chancellor and Jill Abbott. I LOVE Jess Walton and Jeanne Cooper. They are my favorite CURRENT Y&R actresses/characters……

If I can’t have my Drucilla Barber Winters back, I at least want more Jill and Kay….whether they are wanting to kill each other or getting along, but I’d rather see a good mixture of both.

877 Posts

Alstonboy

I think the biggest problem with Y&R is that so many of the characters are unrecognizable! It’s like MAB and company have forgotten everything about everyone. Phyllis is a heroine, Sharon is a weak sappy needy mess, Victoria whines and has lost all her spunk I do blame that more on Amelia Heinle though, Nikki is a babysitter now, Lauren is a woman with no backbone…it’s just sickening to watch. It’s like did you forget the history of these characters? That’s why I am hating the show so much right now. She’s doing the same thing that LML did. She is changing and forgetting so many of the personalities of the characters. It’s hard to watch.

Profile photo of CarlyCfanCarlyCfan
    47 Posts

I agree. The Phyllis propping is getting out of hand, not only this bitch is a show hog but also, just like Victor we’re not so subtlety told that we have to worship her ass. They want us to buy Phyllis as the show heroine, too bad for them some of us remember that she’s just SyPhyllis the murdering hag and no amount of propping will ever erase it.

Profile photo of JazzyJazzy
    7 Posts

H) I agree Phyllis Is a hateful control freak. She is so scared that what goes around comes around with Sharon and Nick. She wanted everyone to think Sharon is so needy so guess what here we are years later, with Sharon has become very needy. I think Nick comes to Sharon more. Lets see Sharon with Tucker and really in Love and less see Nick and Phyllis happy. They are only happy when Sharon is controlled, needy, and miserable.

7 Posts

H) I agree Phyllis Is a hateful control freak. She is so scared that what goes around comes around with Sharon and Nick. She wanted everyone to think Sharon is so needy so guess what here we are years later, with Sharon has become very needy. I think Nick comes to Sharon more. Lets see Sharon with Tucker and really in Love and less see Nick and Phyllis happy. They are only happy when Sharon is controlled, needy, and miserable.I hate watching when she is on. I DVR so I can fast forward past her.

7 Posts

H) I agree Phyllis Is a hateful control freak. She is so scared that what goes around comes around with Sharon and Nick. She wanted everyone to think Sharon is so needy so guess what here we are years later, with Sharon has become very needy. I think Nick comes to Sharon more. Lets see Sharon with Tucker and really in Love and less see Nick and Phyllis happy. They are only happy when Sharon is controlled, needy, and miserable.I hate watching when she is on. I DVR so I can fast forward past her. I think everyone forgot she had her eye on Victor first.

Profile photo of alstonboy4315alstonboy4315
    853 Posts

Smitty–

I agree. MAB is clueless as hell, and she clearly doesn’t know as much about Y&R’s history as she CLAIMS to. She claims that she was Bill Bell Sr’s “apprentice,” but she needs to take her ass to amazon.com and order one of the Y&R history scrapbooks and read that joker from COVER TO COVER. She ain’t been listening as much as she claims……and it’s sad to watch her try to lie and perpetrate otherwise.

If Kay Alden or Jack Smith, or one of the VETERAN writers from the heyday were still on the show to REMIND her that her current brand of BS is exactly that– BS, then she might pick up her face off the ground and push forward with realistically written stories and characters that act how they are SUPPOSED to act, and have always acted.

Of course, it’s MUCH easier to write female characters as weak and indecisive than it is to write them as multi-dimensional, strong and complex. That’s why so many writers have given up. Apparently, the MOSTLY FEMALE soap demographic likes women who cry, scream and have nervous breakdowns every five seconds??? I guess I missed that case study.

I am a MAN, and find it pitiful and disgusting. MAB needs to do better, or fall back and let someone else do the heavy lifting. Ridiculous.

Jazzy–
    Sharon, as far as I can recall, has always been on the needy side. She has never had the TRUE fighter spirit that characters like Lauren, Phyllis, Nikki and Jill have. She’s had her moments, but they’ve been few and far in between. She’s always been more victim than anything else.

CarlyCfan—
    I don’t think Phyllis has ever KILLED anyone. There was an implication that she killed Sasha Green back in 1997, but I don’t think the writers ever explored that possibility, and just brushed it off. If she did kill someone, I must have not been actively watching during that time. She did run over Christine and Paul, but they lived, of course. Maybe I need to dust off MY history books and reread the history a little bit. LOL!!

the thoery of opposites
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    6 Posts

I Agree. Too much Phyllis. Nikki needed a break. Let her support her children. What is she to do? She’s with Victor yet again. All her stories are dried up. (sorry to drop that on you)

Phyllis though is a natural spoiler. Her insecurities with Nick ties her to the Newmans so she has to be present. Her son is naturally going to be her concern. If MAB took a little more care with the rest of the show maybe you wouldn’t feel so assaulted by that one character.

For a show that NEEDS 3 headwriters, they have certainly dropped the ball. Only 2 or 3 out of 7 are working. That’s a bad average.

877 Posts

Equarter

Nikki has room for so much more story. Hell if Victor can still be the super hero please explain to me how Nikki’s story is “dried up”.

Nikki is Katherine’s best friend and we haven’t seen a seen with them since that terrible Masquerade Ball. Nikki’s children are in crisis after crisis and she has is barely shown but Victor is there beating his chest and growling like he’s still 30.

Nikki is also a business woman. She could be helping at Jabor or Newman but MAB seems to not like corporate stories anymore so I guess that won’t happen.

Profile photo of anglekissesanglekisses
    2 Posts

bull nikki has lots of story left the biggest problem is MAB and her hacks hate nikki and it has been obvious since they took over the writing of the show. MAB and co has never bother to actually write for nikki all they do is degrade backburn and destory the character. and the backburning of nikki started well before MTS was even caught in contract talks.

The storyline that has killed nikki is the sick reunion with victor. the couple no longer works, nikki and victor have zero chemisty. and the fact the writers have turned nikki into a freakin stepford wife prop for victor is disusting.

storylines the writers could do for nikki if they could be bothered

nikki finally finds her brain and dumps victor.

she goes to the therapy to deal with her abusive past and the abusive relationship with victor.

she could start a new business are work for jabot are kay.

nikki could get a new love interest whom she actually falls are she could reconnect with jack and why not take back bobby. MTS and John enos had amazing chemisty.

MAB and co are just plain lazy who don’t give a damn about the show are the history of the show. all they care about is their ego’s and who are there pets on the show. and i am tired of seeing the same characters every day. the victor and phyliss show is not working.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.