Forums The Young and the Restless YR – Wishful Casting for Keemo Abbott
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    878 Posts

So I’ve been thinking since Diane Jenkins will be returning briefly with supposedly Kyle possibly in tow wouldn’t it be nice if Jack’s other son came home for a visit as well.  I know we have all been wanting for Jack’s eldest son, Keemo to return since he left the canvas in 96.  Bringing him back would be nice and once the Abbotts get Jabot back he can work there in the lab with his Aunt Ashley or at Restless Style with his Uncle Billy. 

Ok now we know Keemo is half Vietamese and half white and I know many people are looking for an asian actor.  Well let’s think outside of the box.  I think Bryan Datillo who is soon to be the ex-Lucas Roberts on DAYS would be a good choice for the role of Keemo Abbott.  I know he isn’t half asian, but I think it could work.

I know the role of Blair Cramer on OLTL was originally played by an Asian actress before being replaced by the current one, Kassie DePavia. 

Do you all think this is a good choice for Keemo or am I way off base?  What are your thoughts?

20 Posts

You know I love you, Smitty, but I think you’re a little off.

I don’t know if you’ve heard of the movie ‘The Last Airbender’, but a brief history:  It was an American cartoon made in the anime style, and there was a huge outcry from people that noted that while the series itself had a TON of Asian and other ethnic elements in it, most of the lead roles in the movie that’s coming out this summer were cast by White actors.  Me myself, I’m not OMG BITTER but it is of some concern to me that the movie be cast that way.

Along the lines of Keemo Abbott, I think it would be best to cast an Asian person in that role.  He was on for waaaay more than the 10 seconds that the first Blair was on, and there were a lot of elements to the story he was originally introduced to firmly entrench him as being half-Vietnamese, half-White [His mom owned the one Vietnamese restaurant in town, and he had another brother, if memory serves me correctly].  I don’t think that if they cast someone else of another ethnicity in that role, that it would be as well received by the people that actually remember the first guy that played Keemo.

You’re right though – if they’re going to bring back Diane and Kyle, they may as well bring back Keemo.  If the Abbotts can’t win in business, maybe they can overpower the Newmans on sheer numbers alone.  *chuckles*

Avatar of alstonboy4315alstonboy4315
    853 Posts

Sadly, I can’t think of any Asian actors that I think would be suitable to play this part.

How about Tom Pelphrey??? He looks like he is PART Asian????? Even if he isn’t, I love him!!!

He’s my answer to any WC—Tommy Pelphrey, Tommy Pelphrey, Tommy Pelphrey!!!

LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

878 Posts

I think Tom Pelphrey is too young for the role.  I think whoever it is should be in there mid to late 30s.  Keemo was in his early 20s when he was on canvas last time so the character should be aged appropriately.

2901 Posts

Why recast? What’s wrong with the original?

878 Posts

The original wasn’t anything special in my opinion.  I just had a thought about Bryan Datillo because I saw that he was leaving DAYS…

2901 Posts

Bryan Datillo is not Asian. I don’t know, I’m completely against recasting any role unless it’s absolutely necessary.

878 Posts

Well Y&R doesn’t like minorities so him not being Asian might be to his benefit!

Here’s the deal.  Keemo Abbott is half white and half asian.  I don’t necessarily think the role has to be played by an asian.  If that’s the case then all the black roles should be played by only black people.  But whatever it is what it is.

2901 Posts

Smitty, it’s that kind of thinking that got CK the role of Lily! ;)

Smitty, the AA characters ARE played by black actors…or at least half black…its not the same comparison for BD because hes not even half Asian! 

And AlistairCrane, there ARE African Americans that look like CK…I know cuz i have relatives that do. I wish you guys(or gals) would educate yourselves about the AA community. We have many different skin tones okay!!

the thoery of opposites
    2901 Posts

CK/Lily acts like/wishes she were white.

ok, i agree with that. but thats a reflection on her acting..not physical appearance…I have a sister and cousins and aunts who are very pale (think Mariah Carey)none of them are half white. you cant just look at someonw and think, “Oh she’s too fair to be AA” because that’s not always the case.

ok, i agree with that. but thats a reflection on her acting..not physical appearance…I have a sister and cousins and aunts who are very pale (think Mariah Carey)none of them are half white. you cant just look at someonw and think, "Oh she’s too fair to be AA" because that’s not always the case.

878 Posts

Listen if you know Y&R’s history with African-American actors and actresses they have a habit of putting in actresses and actors that are "fair skinned" or half black.  

I’m not really trying to go there with this, but obviously you all are missing the point.  

I’m black I know black ppl come in all shades and stuff let’s not go there.

36 Posts

Smitty,

Transracial casting has its place. However, given the scarcity of Asian/Eurasian actors in film and TV,  casting a white man to play an Asian/Eurasian American would be distressing to many Asian Americans and others because of the long history of discrimination against them in Hollywood.

There are many well qualified Asian/Eurasian male actors who would leap at a rare opportunity for an acting job like this.

Look at the history of white actors donning yellow face to play Asian roles–actors who played Charlie Chan to David Carradine in Kung Fu (to the recent white washing in the Last Airbender .  Most Asians find this blatantly discriminatory.  Did you know that Bruce Lee came up with the concept for Kung Fu but was rejected because TPTB didn’t think a white audience would watch him??  This kind of crap still happens because of bigotry.  Again, look at the recent casting controversy over the Last Airbender.

BTW, didn’t you  rejected Darius M.’s recasting as Malcolm because he’s not lighter skinned or visibly mixed-race?

878 Posts

Josstheguy et all,

I think one of the main things you all are missing is that everyone is remembering Keemo’s Asian heritiage but he is half white.  For any of you that know people who are half-Asian/half-white you will know that they all don’t look asian as some of you have noted when it comes to the black race but are forgetting this for this race of people.  I know people who are half Asian/half white and it’s very hard to tell they are part Asian.  That’s where I am going with this.  Look at Passions and DAYS for example.  Passions had the Lopez-Fitzgerald Family i think that was there name and NOT all of them were played by Hispanic actors or actresses.  I never heard about anyone wanting to call or the Hispanic society having complete outrage at Passions for doing this. (Maybe I was under a rock so I could have missed it but let me know if that was the case.)  Same thing can be said about DAYS right now.  Lindsey Hartley isn’t Hispanic is she?  I don’t think so, so it’s okay for her to pass as a Hispanic character because her shade is a little darker than most white people?  Just asking…

As far as Darius McCrary and Malcolm you are talking about two VASTLY different characters/actors from Keemo.  I bet you can’t find one person who actually knows the name of the actor that played Keemo Abbott unless they looked it up.  Shemar Moore is/was easily recognizable as Malcolm Winters.  He was on the Y&R canvas for 11 years on and off.  The character was more popular than the Keemo character.  Keemo was on the Y&R canvas for barely two years.  The person who played him wasn’t iconic in the role.  I still reject the recasting of Malcolm Winters with Darius McCrary.  The brass at Y&R and Darius McCrary have no idea who Malcolm is.  If they did, Darius McCrary wouldn’t have gotten the role.  Malcolm had SWAG when he was played by Shemar Moore.  Darius McCrary doesn’t have that.  Like I have always said, Malcolm needs to be played by someone with SWAGGER, SEX APPEAL, GORGEOUS BODY AND STREET SMARTS.  Darius McCrary maybe has one of these traits, plus he looks nothing like the part.  You don’t recast an ICONIC role with some one completely different.  It doesn’t work!  Darius isn’t working as Malcolm for me.  Never will.

36 Posts

Smitty,

No.  While there may be some Eurasians who look white, there are many who don’t.  The social responsibility is to have someone who is Asian/Eurasian play the part. 

As for non-Hispanics playing Latino parts, that’s a different story.  Latino/Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race.  As such, Latinos can be of any race or combination of race: white, Native American, black, Asian, mestizo, mulation, etc.   There are white Latinos like Cameron Diaz or Andy Garcia.

However, people have noted that and complained that non-Latinos have been cast as Latinos in regards to soaps.

Finally, you were specific in the past about Malcolm having to be lighter skinned/mixed-race, rejecting a darker skinned actor playing the role.  Soaps have cast darker and lighter skinned black actors to take over roles on several occasions.

Again, given the shameful history of yellow face in Hollywood, it seems highly unfair to Eurasian/Asian actors to deny one one of the incredibly rare acting opportunities available to them. 

878 Posts

josstheguy,

If you are going to reference what I said in the past make sure you get the whole thing.  I said before Darius McCrary got in the role that by looks he wasn’t not going to be acceptable as Malcolm.  Then after seeing him in the role I concluded that my first opinion was right.  Not only does DM’s Malcolm not look the part but he doesn’t have the SWAGGER that Shemar Moore’s Malcolm had.  I never said anything about light skin or being mixed or not.  The character of Malcolm isn’t of mixed race.  He is a black man.  The previous actor, Shemar Moore, was of mixed race.  Check my comments I just said call me shallow but Darius McCrary doesn’t look the part and will never be Malcolm for me.    I said nothing about Malcolm having to be played by a mixed race man.  Heck my suggestions for Malcolm were ALL black men.  I don’t know any of them that were of mixed race so please quote me correctly or don’t quote me at all.  I say what I mean.  Please don’t put words in my mouth.  I know you insinuate things from what I say but don’t get it twisted.  I say what I mean.  No need to include what you personally think I am trying to say into what you think I said.

It’s okay for non-Hispanic actors to play Hispanics but not okay for non-Asians to play a character that is half white/ half asian…riddle me confused but it is what it is.

The social responsibility…lol…I don’t know whether to take you serious or not.  If we are looking at soaps for social responsibility or Hollywood then you are looking in the wrong place.  It’s an art form that the writers/producers get actors to bring to life.

It amazes me that you can say that we should give Darius McCrary a chance as Malcolm just because he’s black, but you think it’s the socially irresponsible to cast a white man in a role that is half white/half asian?  I think it’s more socially irresponsibly for you to say that we should accept any black actor in the role of Malcolm Winters.  ALL BLACK PEOPLE DON’T LOOK A LIKE!

6 Posts

[quote=josstheguy]

However, people have noted that and complained that non-Latinos have been cast as Latinos in regards to soaps.

Can you give some examples because the only actress and actor that I would have expected to hear this from is Galen Gering and Lindsey Hartley since they are mostly cast as hispanics. But they are exceptions to that rule.

As for Smitty, just because Keemo is half white doesn’t mean you can get away with casting a white actor. Keemo grew up in Vietnam, speaks the language, and has made a life as an ASIAN man. It would be remiss for casting and the writer’s to dismiss this mapped out part of the character’s history.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.